How did you get hooked......on Suikoden?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
yami_sakura

Post by yami_sakura »

I played the second one first, and I was hooked. I love the game, and the story lines of all the Suikoden's.
eternal_sins

Post by eternal_sins »

Here mine. . .

When I started playing suikoden?

I started playing Suikoden when i was like 10-11 year old. At that time, i just gotten my Playstation 1. A friend of my mom gave it to me with 3 games.
The following game are,

-Its about a warrior or something,
-Alundra 2
-Suikoden 2

I start playing the Warrior game. But kinda giving me a headache with that camera twisting and turning. So I thought I would play Suikoden 2. But, by looking at the disc, its look like it an another game like Street Fighter which i'm not really into. So, i play Alundra 2. I began to stuck into this game though till now i still haven't completed the game. Why, my nephew spoiled it when i think i'm halfway through completing. It make me so mad. SO, then when i pick suikoden 2 again, I think i just play Suikoden 2. Then, everything i thought go against me! The game was awesome and i like it even more!
Memori cinta berbunga
Pun menghinggap di ingatan
Seperti sang merpati di dahan
Puas sudah ku berusha
Ku melupakan segalanya
Namun senyum mu masih... ada...

-Merpati

Sang By: Hady Mirza
Winner Of Singapore Idol 2
www.hady-mirza.com
Zhuge Liang

Post by Zhuge Liang »

I am a fan of Chinese history and a reader of original 108 heroes of Liang Shan. I was introduced to this game by a friend of mine and soon getting addicted to it. I spent days-and-night playing S1 and S2 back then. It is also the reason why I joined board discussion at the first time many years ago in GameFAQs where I met people like Blue Moon, Ayemelek, etc.
Zhuge Liang
Prime Minister of Shu-Han
Archer

Post by Archer »

Riou. He's my clone and when I saw him on the cover of Suikoden 2 in the games shop for £10 I couldn't pass up the chance. If not for that cover I probably would never have known about it. ;_;
MarkSee

Post by MarkSee »

I'd been mainly a Final Fantasy person, I'd heard about the Suikoden series but never really thought anything of it - I just assumed it was some second-rate RPG, how wrong I was.

A friend who was a fan of the series offered to make copies of Suiko 1 and 2 for me for £10 (bargain of the century or what? :D) so I thought why not? I played them in order, and I've been hooked ever since, fantastic series that doesn't get enough credit.
That is all.
Ralphy Leone Tensei

Post by Ralphy Leone Tensei »

Me, I was hooked because of the heartwarming storylines and cutscenes of Suikoden 5. When I first finished the game and I got the Normal Ending (107-61 stars), I shed a tear or two. When I saw the Hero's flashback of the good times with his parents, Man, I wanted to finish the game so badly to see how it turns out. :cry:
Kreutz

Post by Kreutz »

I stumbled across the first Suikoden while I was at, if I remember correctly, a Toys R Us circa 1998 (Yes, I used to shop there when I was a young lad :?). Originally, I went there to buy a game called Brave Fencer Musashi. Suikoden had been lying in a rack of discount games if I remember correctly, or reduced priced games. Anyway, I picked out Suikoden because it seemed interesting, and I must have had a little extra money to spare. I remember watching friends play Shining Force for the Sega Genesis, and thought that the RPG type of games interesting, although I had never actually played them until Suikoden.

I remember playing Brave Fencer for about a week, and tried Suikoden thereafter. The great music, storyline, characters, game play, dialogue (and its exceptional vocabulary), was what kept me playing for years, even until this day, while Brave Fencer has remained un-played. Suikoden just has a certain charm to it that makes it accessible to players, in my opinion.
Riou_99

Post by Riou_99 »

Good times,eh?I remember back when it came out,i use to spend the WHOLE summer playing RPGS.

When i was 11 my brother and I were playing FF7 and ever now then switching to FF8.He told me about this demo he played and how COOL it was.We were both wanting to play it so we went out and serched for it.We finally found SII in a mall but not 1 so we bought it and played it.Suikoden 2 being my first Suikoden game i came to loave and cherish it.I play Suikoden 2 at least once a month and beat it.Im playing now and its like the 3 time i've beaten it in 1 week.m so gkad its summer break :D .Anyway i played Suikoden 2 over and over and over again.We finally bought SI and played it.But my borther came to love that game.Since ihad olayed Suikoden 2 so many times i didnt rly get into the first one.I guess its the graphics compared to SII that didnt intrest me.We never bought SIII and went straight to SIV which i thought was fun BUT TO TIME CONSUMING WITH THE SHIP.Then we bought SV,oh god dont get me started SV is the 2nd best game i've ever played.Im a big fan of Suikoden,a few weeks ago i actually had a myspace background based on Riou.lol.We bought SIII a few weeks ago also but i havent played yet but my brother has.I never have seen Tactics on store i didnt even know the game existed until a few days go when someine mentioned it.

My favorite Suikoden Games in order:

SII
SV
SIV
SI
SIII
GrayMercury

Re: How did you get hooked......on Suikoden?

Post by GrayMercury »

I was about nine when i saw the very first suikoden laying on my sister's apartment floor...i wasn't into playing video games at the time (i sucked at super mario...still do actually...lol...) but after a few years when the ps2 came out she talked me into trying it out...and i really enjoyed it...

i went to a game rental store and asked if they had any more like it and they gave me final fantasy 8. but eventually i was talking about the game to my boyfriend at the time (i was in the ninth grade now) he gave me the second one to play and i took it to my sister's because she didn't even know they had released a second one.....so we played it together and got stuck on luca.....when i discovered a way to kill him...that was the moment i was hooked....lol.

in fact i still come to this website just to see if they have any information about new ones...

i found out about all the rest of the suikodens because of this site....and i randomly check back for any info on six.....lol. i'm thrilled because i always know when to go and reserve them...i now own all of them.
"Master, Violence is Wrong." - - Dongo (SV)
Quing

Post by Quing »

Several years ago, I was given the first Suikoden game by my aunt and uncle. My aunt was a big fan of the series, and was most enthusiastic. I played the first game and thought that it was okay, though not incredible, but the game grew on me, and I had an excess of money, so I hunted down II ($120- ouch!) and III. Playing II was an incredible/transcendental experience. I declared it almost immediately to be the best game that I had ever played, grew in my appreciation of I, and bought IV when it came out. I'm an addict now!
Ven

Post by Ven »

All I needed to see was the name 'Suikoden V' and I suddenly was compelled to devote myself to the series. =I
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

well when i had my psone so i need to buy games... and i saw this ame with a cute cover called suikoden 2... doesn't know a thing about rpgs cause i only play fighting games... but i tried it and i got hooked with it... until i saw suikoden 1... can't wait for the release of suikoden 3... suikoden 4... suikoden 5... what is suikoden tactics? ok buy one to... so the series is really interesting... with a lot of more unfolding mysteries... and almost none being answered...
Suikoden I - Fuma/Kage/Kasumi
Suikoden II - Mondo/sasuke/Kasumi
Suikoden III - Landis/Watari/Ayame
Suikoden IV - Akaghi/Mizuki/Kate
Suikoden V - Shigure/Sagiri/Raven
Pokerface

Post by Pokerface »

Kranach wrote:well when i had my psone so i need to buy games... and i saw this ame with a cute cover called suikoden 2... doesn't know a thing about rpgs cause i only play fighting games... but i tried it and i got hooked with it... until i saw suikoden 1... can't wait for the release of suikoden 3... suikoden 4... suikoden 5... what is suikoden tactics? ok buy one to... so the series is really interesting... with a lot of more unfolding mysteries... and almost none being answered...

Exactly!

Suikoden makes the great story, which is full of mysteries, intrigues, traitors, etc. You know, when my friend told me that I have to recruit 108 persons, I thought he was crazy! Oh man... and then I had a close look @ my Liberation Army which was full of Bandits, Merchants, Mercenaries, Wizards, Craftsmen, former royal generals.....

There is no other game like Suikoden. The System is unique...

Pokerface
Mess with the best, die like the rest!
http://www.suikoden3.de
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I think thats what I thought made Suikoden great when I first played it. I just could'nt beleive that you could go around asking random people to help you and they actually did join and help out, I mean it had like 60+ playable characters or something.

And Im still hooked.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Zeikcied

Post by Zeikcied »

I saw the first Suikoden at Hollywood Video, and figured it was a Japanese import, because of the Japanese writing on the front of the box. But I didn't understand why Hollywood Video would have a Japanese game, as it can't be played on American systems. I didn't try it.

Then I was reading PSM, and saw their review of Suikoden II. I figured I'd give it a try, so I asked for, and got it, for Christmas in 1999. And after playing it for a few hours, I was hooked.

Playing the second game first, made the first game seem inferior. And tainted my experience of that game. The third was pretty good, and I never played the fourth or fifth games.