Is Suikoden Educational?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Sniper_Zegai

Is Suikoden Educational?

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

I was thinking about the amount of thought you have to put into suikoden to get all the characters, do the subqeusts and sort out the characters and parties as well as the military units for battles and not to mention all the reading with the dialogue.

Anyway has Suikoden made you any brainier. I mean a noticable kinda brainy, like better at maths or english?
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Greywolf

Re: Is Suikoden Educational?

Post by Greywolf »

Sniper_Zegai wrote:I was thinking about the amount of thought you have to put into suikoden to get all the characters, do the subqeusts and sort out the characters and parties as well as the military units for battles and not to mention all the reading with the dialogue.

Anyway has Suikoden made you any brainier. I mean a noticable kinda brainy, like better at maths or english?
Yes. At least the first one did. The better lines in that game are as good as anything I've found in the good books I've read. That's what made me fall in love with the series.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

I learned the word entourage first from Suikoden 1. And Suikoden 3 taught me grandiloquence.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Yes, the Suikoden series is educational.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Basel

Post by Basel »

I don't see how Suikoden could make you brainier. The mini-games might get your brain to work a little but who gets the time to play with all the fight and killing around. I don't recall playing mini-games in Suikoden V other than spending few minutes with Fuyo. As for English, I learned a lot of vocabulary from the series and there is a lot more to learn. Yet getting to pronounce those new words is an issue, I use answers.com whenever possible to help me with that. When it comes to Math, Suikoden definitely didn't help me at all.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

suikoden never maked u think?

what is good or bad, correct, or right?

ethic, philosophy, tragedy of war? seeking of power, hate, death and love? suikoden didnt teach u only a little of this?

other games didnt have all of this, its a reason to love suikodens, only the hours i spended thinking "why sialeeds..?" or "why jowy?" are a reason to play..
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Not really educational, but I find it to be rather inspirational.

Particularly for the typical layman, like yours truly, who had never have much interest for classical texts and the fantasy genre.
Basel

Post by Basel »

When some one talks about smart people the first thing that comes to my mind are the members of the Silverberg family. The way I understand the word brainier is for one to think close to those people.
27x4=108 wrote: what is good or bad, correct, or right?

ethic, philosophy, tragedy of war? seeking of power, hate, death and love? suikoden didnt teach you only a little of this?
The real world is more than enough for me. In the middle east you get to see those things live.

Darn, I wish I had the proper English skills to express my feelings :x <-- you see, I'm lacking in this area and Suikoden didn't help me with it.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Wow, Im really impressed. To tell you the thruth I thought people would hate this subject. Anyway back to topic. Konami in general helped me. I found it easier to do maths when I thought about it as a suikoden battle. I mean in high school I would have litterally had a giant exscalmation mark over my head if someone asked me to multiply 1.5 but its no biggy now. As for the real. Metal Gear Solid taught me alot about the real dangers and futility of nuclear weapons and the role they play in the world. Im not biulding a bomb shelter anytime soon but its changed the way I think about the seriousness of nuclear weapons.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Michael Easton

Post by Michael Easton »

Basel wrote:Darn, I wish I had the proper English skills to express my feelings :x <-- you see, I'm lacking in this area and Suikoden didn't help me with it.
Personally you seem to be doing quite well with your English.

I wouldn't say that Suikoden has made me any smarter, that accolade goes to Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training. I'm not quite sure how the series would make anyone smarter.
modi

Post by modi »

i don't know about becoming brainer or smaarter but any game that makes you think is good , suikoden games maybe educational in someways like it has philosophies and qoutes that are interesting which makes you think about or use it in real life , some people may learn how to change their life style like euram did in suikoden V , you may say it's just a game , but many players become attached to the game once they start it . besides the names in suikoden comes from many culture and many famous people if anyone searched them up , he will learn a lot .

and it has nothing to do with english when it comes to express your feeling or learn , it's a matter of how much you determined you are
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

There's no denying that the translators' language efficiency is above average, but the translations itself suck, as do most games.
Basel

Post by Basel »

modi wrote:besides the names in suikoden comes from many culture and many famous people if anyone searched them up , he will learn a lot .
I totally agree with you hear.
modi wrote: and it has nothing to do with english when it comes to express your feeling or learn , it's a matter of how much you determined you are
Being determined is crucial however without proper skills and enough knowledge you wouldn't be able to communicate your thoughts flawlessly with other people speaking a foreign language. Now if you lack proper communication skills in the first place you would run out of luck. Another factor here is cultural mismatch, what sound convenient for people of one nation might sound weird for people living in the same era but in a neighbor country having a different culture.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

modi wrote:many players become attached to the game once they start it .
Its strange you should mention that. I have introduced 4 people to Suikoden. And all of them became absoltutly fascinated by it. In fact the first time I played Suikoden 2 was at a freinds house. He was so into suikoden 1 he had found and bought suikoden 2 and started playing it before he had even completed No 1. I did'nt even know there was a suikoden 2 at that point.
modi

Post by modi »

Being determined is crucial however without proper skills and enough knowledge you wouldn't be able to communicate your thoughts flawlessly with other people speaking a foreign language.
don't you think that determination is what will bring you knowledge and skills ? ( i apologize for being out of topic everyone )