elemental protection stacks?

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

elemental protection stacks?

Post by KFCrispy »

Blue Moon on gamefaqs has pointed out another weird thing i didn't think was right, that elemental protection stacks. u can have up to level 4 in an element and be immune to it..
KFCrispy, I think elemental resistance stacks, because there are 4 different levels of element resistance (8 to be exact if negative values are included).

Level one reduces damage by 15%
Level two reduces damage by 25%
Level three reduces damage by 50%
Level four grants immunity.

Different items have different levels of resistance. For example, True Lightning Leather gives you +2, while a lightning amulet gives you +1. Because these are defined as "+1" and "+2,"
does the japanese game have these +1 and +2 numbers on the equipment descriptions? cuz they sure as hell aren't on the US version

and then i'd try to stack just the Sword of Magic lev 2 resistance spells, which also doesn't list any +1 thing anywhere...

i am gonna check things out, but you can help confirm this too!!!
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

The Japanese version doesn't show +1 or +2 either, but they are included within the official guides.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

wow, crazy. do you know if the Sword of Magic adds +1 or +2 and if it can be used multiple times to build it up to 4?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yeah, Sword of Magic adds +1 to the elemental protection of the character for the runes particular element (Sword of Fire would only add +1 against fire magic/attacks).

As far as equipment goes (I may not know the correct names for the NTSC version though)--

Fire +1: Old Flame Plate, Flame Plate, Silver Shield, Fire Amulet
Fire +2: Flame Casque, Rage Plate, Dragon Tail Ornament
Lightning +1: Guardian Casque, Old Lightning Leather, Lightning Leather, Silver Shield, Lightning Amulet
Lightning +2: Thunder Leather, True Lightning Leather
Water +1: Guardian Chainmail, Mist Robes, Water Amulet
Earth +1: Earth Chainmail, Earth Shield
Wind +1: Guardian Shield, Wind Amulet
Wind +2: Wind Hat, Windspun Armor

That's all.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

cool thanks! but what about if the character uses the level 2 Sword of Magic spell in consecutive turns? does it build up? can a +0 resistance reach +4 with the Sword?
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I think only experimentation would tell.

We do know the effects of what a +3 or +4 would do, so all it would take is to actually see if damage is lessened or totally nullified after casting the spell 4 times.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

hm, while the Chief's Hat realization was cool, this elemental protection info can also help with equipment--i definitely will value Guardian Casques much higher. if i can collect a bunch, my more-common characters while have Guardian Casques (instead of Custom Casque and stuff), True Thunderbolt Leather, and 1 Lightning Emblem 1 or 2 Fire Emblems, giving them magic defense in the spells that are used the most.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Has anyone checked to see if this is actually true yet?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

hey i just ran a RIncar battle with supposedly max lightning protection on Emily (True Thunderbolt Leather and 2 Lightning Amulets). she took 76. supposed to be taking 0 or 1 point of damage but she didn't...

i tried vs Rock Golems before but my concentration was on Borus, and he has low MDEF, no M Res stat, but still with the theoretical +1 to +4 in fire protection, he was taking only 1 point from their spell. i don't even think that should be right based on our regular ideas. he WAS always defending, but i don't think it should have protected him THAT well. that's why i went on to the RIncar, but it doesn't get to cast the spells often enough.

does anyone know a way to test this easier? the character him/herself should have very low MDEF, no M. Res, and just play with the amount of Amulets and whatnot varying from +0 to +4....

but so far my results say that theoretical stacking doesn't work.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

An easier enemy to test it on might be the Nemesis. he casts lightning all the time.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

ok i think i got itz. still pretty difficult to figure out. the single-target Nemesis spell seems to be a physical atk so that wasn't helpful (it also comes out slower than Furious Blow). his ice rain is also most likely physical, and that leaves him with just that Furious Blow spell.

THE EQUIPMENT DOES GIVE THE AMOUNT OF PROTECTION (+1, +2) AS WRITTEN. however they do not stack--instead, the higher protection is what you get. if you have a +2 resistance armor, you get +2 resistance regardless of how many +1's you are equipped with

the level 1 resistance seems to be 20% (i consistently got a .79xx reduction rate) and level 2 is 30%. i managed to add a level with Sword of Magic resistance.. level 3 seems to be 40% though i only got it once. i don't know how to get level 4, maybe if Sword of Magic level 2 stacks (didn't check, was getting tired of repeating so much)

defending reduces all dmg by 50%, but it didn't disrupt my math as i had one target never defend
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i tried out stacking the level 2 spells today. took same amt of damage as just having 1 cast. so i say the protection spell cannot stack on itself