Egbert Checkers Hard Mode

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
SindarScholar

Egbert Checkers Hard Mode

Post by SindarScholar »

I need help I have beaten egbert in every game and gotten all the pieces except Lyms statue I cannot beat Egbert in Hard mode on Checkers. Does any one have a strategey or a play by play layout of defeating him
It would be greatly appreciated
malicesoul

Post by malicesoul »

You actually beat some of these mini games on hard mode!!! :shock:
I could've swore these games were rigged (Especially the blasted Jeane's Blind Man's Bluff). Please tell me.....how. Some strategies for the ones you beaten? please.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=6211

For Checkers in Hard Mode, you must play offensively, not defensively. That's about it. The way the logic of the A.I. works, that's the only way to win without your brain exploding. There's a guide for Egbert and his games at GameFAQs, by the way.
Darian

Post by Darian »

That guide didn't help me at all. I just gave up eventually; it's just not worth it.
Cuckooguy

Post by Cuckooguy »

I agree, you should play offensively instead of defensively. I can beat Checkers Hard Mode about 70% of the time by playing offensively. If you're thinking to set up elaborate tactics to do your opponent in, you're wrong, because you will never (okay, maybe not never but rarely) grab more than two of the opponent's pieces in one turn. I advise trading pieces off; as in you take a piece of his in exchange for putting one of your pieces in danger, and to always even the playing field. The computer is at an advantage if it has a lot of pieces because it can set up more elaborate schemes than you can. Therefore, it's in your best interests to decrease the amount of pieces on the table. 3 against 3 is a much more favorable position to be in for you than 8 against 8.

After you get it down 3 vs. 3, the CPU should still be hard, but it becomes 80% less difficult and easier for you to think.
Kirin

Post by Kirin »

I eventually got all of Egbert's hard-mode statues. My favorite version was entrapment. For that game, the strategy in the gameFaqs guide basically works - try to keep your pieces in a rough horizontal line moving gradually up the board until you box him in. On easy mode this is pretty trivial - on hard, you have to be more careful, watch out for traps, and sometimes let him push you back a little, but it's still very do-able.

Checkers on hard mode... requires some luck. What Cuckooguy just said basically covers it. But yeah, he'll screw you over if you give him the slightest chance.

Conqueror, again the gameFaqs strategy works (be a cheap-ass by leaving one piece on your side until the end, then wait for an opportunity to sneak it across before he can fill the spot)... it's just teeeeeedious.

As for other games, Fuyo's Feitas is pretty easy (just make sure you get more bonus-point-scoring tiles than she does), but the prizes are crap to I stopped playing it after afew games. Blind Man's Bluff does seem pretty insane on harder levels, but it only gives you money and there are *much* easier ways to farm money in the game, so whatever. I never spent much time on dragon horse betting either, again it's only for money. And for dragon horse racing, there's a whole thread on that somewhere, just do a search if you need it.
Koujirou

Post by Koujirou »

Funny thing about Fuyo's minigame...I lost to her a few times in a row on easy while getting adjusted, then when I got to hard I dominated her the first time. Also had gotten a decent amount of tokens against Jeane the first time I played her in BMB, but I didn't think to cash out and ended up getting spanked. ^^;
moon123

Re: Egbert Checkers Hard Mode

Post by moon123 »

i win checker in hard mode with 2 vs 2 pieces left