Squenix shenanigans

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

taliefer wrote:in ff4 cecil was most definatly not a teenager, and i dont believe any of the main chars were, except rydia and those twins.

in 6, there really isnt a main hero, but again, the majority of them all were definatly not teenagers.

in 7, cloud isnt a teenager.

in 8, you definatly have your teenage angst, which i believe is one of the reasons alot of people disliked it.

in 9, i dont *believe* zidane was a teenager, i could be wrong on this one tho.

in ten, i dont think tidus was a teenager, being a profesional athlete, but i am far from sure, he may have been. but he sure did act like one.
That is sad I agree and seems to be a decline in RPGs for that reason, look at this:
Love
FFIV: Romance between a husband and wife - they already know they love each other and don't chase anyone else, very unique and refreshing

VI: Women and men who either scorn love (Celes) or have never been in love (Terra) or are womanizers (Edgar) or have lost a love (Locke). The closest thing relating to current love is Locke's feelings for Celes and Terra's love for children - all very unique and individual and mature

VII: Looks like the story is going to be a regular love interest but the main love interest gets offed halfway through the story. A subtle love interest begins with the other woman - somewhat unique, but still manages to be young people of a same age and opposite sex fall in love

VIII: The whole theme is love, the teacher starts to fall in love with the moody classmate, but then decides against it, from then on the teenagers of the opposite sex fall in love

IX: Teenagers of the opposite sex fall in love and there's a wedding at the end, woohoo

X: Teenagers of the opposite sex fall in love (Yuna+Tidus) but at least he gets offed at the end

X-2: Oh wait, he dosen't get offed at the end afteral, teenagers from X are in love

Suikoden dosen't have any real love interest for any of its protagonists besides very subtle and one-sided ones. There are however, examples of married couples and dating couples etc throughout the 108 stars.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Oppenheimer I like that. It could pass for one of my post.

As to Tidus being a teenager, I really think he was but don't know for sure. I should like to think adults wouldn't act like that. Also outside of games pro athletes come in at early ages. Basketball players don't go to college, foreign baseball prospects get put in MLB farm team programs as young as 16, it's also common with soccer players in places where that sport is more popular.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

actually Tidus wasn't even real so it was new, yuna fell in love with a dream...thats kind of a new twist...right?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

son_michael wrote:actually Tidus wasn't even real so it was new, yuna fell in love with a dream...thats kind of a new twist...right?
That's sort of what I meant by the fact that he dissappeared at the end, it was a nice twist except that he came back at the end of X-2 which defeated the effect of him "not being real".
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Enix has gone to commercial. At least Suikoden stilll had its cult-status.
Funereal

Post by Funereal »

i've lost interest in new Final Fantasy games for the most part...but damn, i'd like to get a hold of those GBA remakes.

side note--i thought FFX was a lot of fun, but Tidus has got to be the most annoying protagonist in any RPG i've ever played, not to mention the dullness of Yuna. but wow, talk about endless side-quests/mini games...FFX had them all.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Ok, I didn't see this one coming...Mario 3 on 3 for the DS

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/ab3j/chara ... ter02.html

If you like arcade feeling games Mario sports titles are amazing, but this just doesn't sit well with me.

It seems strange things happen when Square enix and Nintendo get together. Maybe it's not any weirder than Kingdom Hearts (Square and Disney), but this just feels really strange.

If these two companies keep making nice, I could see emotionally rash teenage Final Fantasy people in my Smash Brothers!
:shock:
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

or *gasp* THE RETURN OF GENO IN SMASH BROTHERS!

oh nintendo...please work with square enix and re capture the magic you 2 used to share!
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

son_michael wrote:or *gasp* THE RETURN OF GENO IN SMASH BROTHERS!

oh nintendo...please work with square enix and re capture the magic you 2 used to share!
OMFG

Sephiroth in SSB.

I don't know wether it would be good or bad.
True Tir Mcdohl

Post by True Tir Mcdohl »

Sephiroth being in SSB would be a horrible idea in my opinion. I would rather see him in a GG game then SSB. As for FF, I've played the games back in the days, even before it was very popular, since I got the hook up's from an Uncle of mine who lived in Japan and he would send me FF games for me to play, especially the ones that didn't make it over the states, during those times.

Yet, even now, I still like VII and VI above all other's, mainly because I really liked the characters. I liked Cloud and Sephiroth's storyline for the both of them and as individuals, I like FF VI's hero/heroine characters, however I didn't think Kefka was all that great as a villain, he reminds me of a spinoff of The Joker from Batman, but no where near up to Joker's level though. Not to mention I loved the music from both series, "One Winged Angel" from FFVII is my favorite and probably a close second after that is either the Opening Theme for FFVI, or else the Locke and Celes Theme Song, all three are great songs, especially their orchestrated versions.

Another great FF game was FF Tatics, this was a superb game in many standards and I loved Delita as a character, his ability of manipulating pratically everyone around him just made him such an interesting character, and Ramza as the hero wasn't bad either, he was a good hero imo.

I would have to agree on Tidus being the most oddly looking "hero". No offense, but his attire just had me going wtf?! His hair was pimp, but his outfit...gah...however, after I saw Vaan in Final Fantasy XII, he makes Tidus actually look good, that guy now just looks waay too fruity.

I would have to thank Square, because they really tried to bring symphony into video games back in the days, which I always thought was a great idea, and it made their song pieces imo more powerful than the other things that where around at the time. I give them much respects for that.

I don't play alot of rpg's today anymore since I really don't have the time (when you get older, more important responsibilities come into your life), with only a select few, like the FF series, Suikoden series...and I think that's about it. I would like the Shining Force series to go back to their strategy/rpg style of play, like in Shining Force I, II and III, now those where great games, crap like Shining Force Neo just make me want too puke <---- sorry for going off topic on that last remark about the shining force series.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

come on....you wouldn't LOVE to put cloud up against sephiroth in super smash brothers WITH ONLINE play?
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Sephiroth would probably be a good addition to SSB, think of the reach he could get.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

son_michael wrote:come on....you wouldn't LOVE to put cloud up against sephiroth in super smash brothers WITH ONLINE play?
Yes, yes I would like that. It would be badass as a matter of fact. That said, I don't want it to happen. The lame people in FF far out number that kick ass and if you open the door for one, it's open for all...

Does anyone else get EGM, it's a gaming mag pushed here in the States. I don't know how I got this subscription, I don't care for the writing or layout, and my opinions differ from their reviews on a lot of games. Nonetheless, they have a rumors column that was dedicated to Square Enix in their most recent issue.

It claims there is a MMO Children of Mana game in development for the Wii and if the two Dragon Quest games for the DS and the one for the Wii do well, then DQ 9 would be a Wii exclusive. But those are just rumors.

What I do find interesting is Square's recent focus on online play. Mario 3 on 3, one of the DQ games on DS has online play, as does Children of Mana for the DS, FF XI, this MMO Mana game, FF Chrstal Chronicles for Wii and a DS version. I have never been a champion for online play, but in game publishing Squenix is huge. When they look to the left, the entire market looks that way to see what they're staring at; they're that big.

I just wonder what the above - in terms of online play - means for RPG's or for games in general. Squenix's influence is scary big and I wonder how many other will follow their lead.
True Tir Mcdohl

Post by True Tir Mcdohl »

son_michael wrote:come on....you wouldn't LOVE to put cloud up against sephiroth in super smash brothers WITH ONLINE play?
No offense, but any good fighting gamer with tournament experience will tell you right off hand that online play is complete and utter trash with the technology we have at this moment. The biggest reason is lag, in a FPS although it lags online, the lag doesn't hinder a FPS game as badly as it would a fighting game, say for example, you see an opening and you do a launch, combo, or try to punish, and you lag...well my friend, you've just lost your opportunity, or worse yet, when your already punishing and you lag.

These are simple, yet horrific reasons why top players from respective series of fighting games will never take online play seriously. However, for the general player, I guess it would be a huge funfactor, but to me, I wouldn't be able to tolerate the lag...I played SFIII 3S for the X-Box online, and I was so frustrated that after each c.mk I did with Ken, I couldn't link into his SAIII, then my buddy tells me that I have to actually do the move before I see it onscreen in order for it to connect... :roll: .

Sephiroth, I don't think would be able to make it into SSB, because although he's from Square-Enix, he's an established character within Sony as well. However, other characters from the FF game "might" be able to make it, such as maybe Locke Cole, Celes Chere, Terra Branford and such, since they where part of the Nintendo run before or maybe even the Secret of Mana characters. Personally, forget what I said about Sephiroth appearing in a GG game, if anything, if Final Fantasy characters are going to appear in a fighting-game, then Square-Enix should make that fighting game themselves and put all of the FF characters into it.

I'm still hoping that "someday" they might do this, would be pretty cool to pit guys like Sabin vs. Tifa, Rydia vs. Lulu or Squall vs. Sephiroth.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

can super smash brothers really be put in the same category as fighting games?

and were tlaking about NINTENDO here..they do things RIGHT they give 100% quality and endurance..I dont think they would release an online service with Lag