The Sun Rune and the Queen *** spoilers ***

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Suiko-Source

The Sun Rune and the Queen *** spoilers ***

Post by Suiko-Source »

One thing that really interested me while i was playing the game, was the scene where Haswar helped Lyon and Hero V open the secret passage to the Sun Ruins.

Did anyone notice how the statue had the sun rune on the head, and both the dawn and twilight runes on each hand?

And also, didn't the East Palace Scholar state that "the new queen must actually bear the dawn rune for a short while"? Does this imply that part of the ritual requires the new queen to bear the D/T runes as well as the sun rune?

If so, had Arshtat bore the D/T runes along with Sun rune, i believe that the Sun rune would not have caused her to go insane.

Back to the point though, Does this mean the first Queen of Falena knew the secret of controlling the sun rune? And if so, why wasn't it passed down from generation to generation in order to prevent losing control of the sun rune in the first place?

Just a funny thought in my head i wanted to share.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Since the Dawn/Twilight Runes are not True Runes it shouldn't be hard for someone to bear all three. so long as all three Runes choose the person that is.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

ShardStar wrote:Since the Dawn/Twilight Runes are not True Runes it shouldn't be hard for someone to bear all three. so long as all three Runes choose the person that is.
They are not true runes, but they are the next best thing, since they seem to have their own will and concious [ as far as choosing who bares them ]
Masamune

Post by Masamune »

Well note: Arhtat's big 'insane-o-thron' event was scorching Lordlake, which happened more or less immediatedly after Salum stole the Dawn Rune.
Suiko-Source

Post by Suiko-Source »

The funny part about Arstat's tempertantrum that is a bit unclear to me, is how on earth would the dawn and twilight rune perform their given functions (keeping the sun in check) if they were being housed in seperate palaces and not in the actual body of the person bearing the sun rune itself?

Although I will admit that the two lesser runes did not need to be in the same body when Lyon and Hero V used them on the Sol Falena Dam in holding back the power of the sun rune.

Perhaps Lucretia was counting too much on the other lesser runes remaining where they were when she advised Arshtat to bear the sun rune.

However this would also lend alot of weight to the theory that nobody knew that the lesser runes (dawn and twilight) could control the Sun rune because then i'm sure that Arshtat would not have even needed to bear the Sun rune in the first place. She could have simply ensured that the lesser runes were reachable if Godwin did steal the Sun rune.

I still wonder why knowledge of that value would be lost so easily. However I do remember that Oboro said "this royal family only goes back 30 years...".

See what happens when people fight over the throne? :wink:
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

To bear the Sun Rune, one would have to go through the ritual of bearing Dawn and Twilight Runes.

In terms of royal family tradition, the Queen-to-be would of course have the privilege to achieve this through their customs. Prior to getting engaged, they are to visit the East Palace and pay respect to the Dawn Rune by bearing it for the duration of their visit. Then, when it comes to the time for the actual marriage, the same sequence would take place at the West Palace and involving the Twilight Rune instead.
Suiko-Source

Post by Suiko-Source »

I'm wondering however, that if one were to simply bear both the twilight rune and the dawn rune, would that be enough to make them immune to the ramifications of the sun rune even if they no longer bear the other two?

I doubt it, but i'm interested in why Arshtat lost control of her sun rune when the dawn rune was stolen. If my theory holds true, then the dawn rune's protection should operate from anywhere in falena (even rainwall) and thus she should not have been driven gradually insane. However, if in order to contridict the insanity, the queen must actually bear all three runes, then the insanity fits in without dispute.

So in essence, to bear the Sun rune you must bear the other two runes as well. Surely this knowledge was known to the first queen of falena, and would have been passed along. I'm just curious as to how such important knowledge was lost.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not looking for a solid answer. Just posing a bit of interesting speculation, to me at least. :twisted:
Masamune

Post by Masamune »

Likely the East and West Palaces have some magical significance (of no doubt Sindarin origin) that functions as safeguards against the Sun Rune.
Suiko-Source

Post by Suiko-Source »

Not really Masamune.

Those were built on top of the past kingdom. I think i'd look more to the busts than the actual palaces. Even Killey was interested more in the Magical Bust holding the Sun rune than the actual rune itself.

I wonder if they dont somehow channel the rune's power but that again would not explain why Arshtat lost control of the Sun rune even if the Dawn rune was stolen.

I think the Sun rune bearer must hold all three to "balance" out and not go insane.
Hathen

Post by Hathen »

That would make sense, wasn't the Dawn/Twilight Rune fragments of the Sun Rune?

Side note on Killey: The scene in the jail had to have had one of the best choices in the game. "WHERE'D YOU GET THOSE BUSTS?" "The magical bust shop."
Suiko-Source

Post by Suiko-Source »

LOL.

"Dammit, i should've known better than to ask a kid"

Obviously, you know what my choice was. :lol:
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I dont think the three runes were meant to be beared at all. Whoever created the sun palace,west palace and east palace obviously designed it like a symbol. Sun palace in the middle, east palace to the right and west palace to the left. It would look like the 2 smaller palaces were in position to watch the sun palace, symbolically this must represent the three runes, dawn and twilight are in position to watch over the sun rune.My guess is the sun rune was never ment to be beared by anyone, it was supposed to be a symbol of Falena's power and a treasure for the royal family of Falena to guard, this IMO is what the first queen of Falena wanted when she brought down the sun rune to Falena. I also agree with patapi, the reason that arshtat could bear the sun rune IMO is because she went through the ritual of the east palace and the west palace AND because of her family bond to the first queen...though I still dont understand why lym couldn't bear the sun rune...didn't lym go through both rituals plus the holy bathing in lunas? maybe she was too young?
Suiko-Source

Post by Suiko-Source »

Actually based upon an Oboro investigation, i don't believe the first generation queen and Arshtat's family are blood related.

However just because the family tree only traces back 30 years, doesn't mean it can't go futhur.

You bring up a good point in reference to actually bearing the rune. However let's remember that the runes choose the bearers, not the other way around. A True rune will not be willfully possessed unless it so desires, so in essence the runes must be born by someone. Otherwise they disappear until they're ready to act again. At least, that is how i understand it based on my Suikoden experience and Leknaat's somewhat useful speeches.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

maybe your right....perhaps it was the athebald family that has connections to the first queen? I guess we will never know until konami confirms it

but getting back to the runes, like I said...I dont think any of the 3 runes of falena were meant to be beared, I just think the royal family was meant to protect them the same way the dawn and twilight runes protect the sun rune
Suiko-Source

Post by Suiko-Source »

Actually you might have a valid point.

Zerase made it a point to mention to Lym, Hero V, and Sialeeds on their first trip to the East Palace about Incompetents being left to protect the dawn rune.

Mabye it was some pact with the Sindar the first queen had. Puts a nice sense of purpose to the whole thing.