True RuneBearer?

Hypothesis for, and analyses of, the various locations and backstory of the Suikoden world.
Hirathien

Re: True RuneBearer?

Post by Hirathien »

I've a feeling Sindar is like, the Mayans of Suikoden.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

They call the Lizard Clan リザードクラン as opposed to リザード族.
Individual members of the Lizard race are called リザード.
Same rule applies to Kobolds in the Suikoden world (or any other race).
Individuals are referred to as "a Kobold" (コボルドの) etc, instead of as "of the Kobold Clan."
Whenever the Sindars are reference in Suikoden, they're always called "シンダル族"
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Do all Grassland clans get the クラン suffix or just the non human ones?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

All Garssland clans get the クラン suffix. However, the human clans are also given the 族 suffix in certain parts of the dialogue and official publications.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

So that kind of confirms that the Sindar are human (or were human, depending on what happened to them since they seemingly disappeared).

Their penchant for making humongous structures when they're an inherently nomadic clan is still kind of confusing, though. Perhaps they really DID leave them for mixed descendants?
Formerly known as: Gothann
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

Vextor wrote:The Sindar are said to be a "clan," so the assumption would be that they're human. None of the publications so far insinuates that they're a different race. If they are, they wouldn't call them a "clan," but would use the Japanese term that would define them as a separate race.
Wait, doesnt the Old Book Vol. 2 of Suikoden II treats then as "Phantom Race"? Is that a case of bad translation?

OLD BOOK 2:
I spent my life chasing the secrets of the Sindar, but here in these ruins, I've reached the end of my strength. And so I write some of what I have learned.
The Sindar are a phantom race. They have been known throughout history and yet their true nature is a mystery.
They came from the northand travelled south, leaving mysterious ruins behind them.
Legends say the clan leader had a cursed rune inscribed on his forehead.
It granted eternal life but doomed the clan to a life of wandering.
They say a secret treasure lies at the heart of the ruins, but there are many traps, and most seekers find only death, like myself...
I am sure they are a different species than humans, maybe they are from the world of emptyness, after all they are a phantom race.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Phantom in this case just means that this guy who recorded the Old Book never saw them. He is also implying that no one has ever seen them (at least no one alive). You have to read the whole book and not just one sentence. He's talking about their penchant for leaving behind ruins (which demonstrates that they exist), and yet, there's no other sign of their existence. Hence it is a mystery; hence they are a phantom race.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

He's not being literal. He's saying they are elusive.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

Whatever you say, Raww. Whatever. You. Say. :twisted:
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.