Something about Luc in SuikoIII

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

and it just so happens that WORLD was going to be anniahlated with him
No, it would have blown up the Grasslands not the world, if it had blown up the world that would have been incredibly stupid as that would just put the world into the state of constant order, which was what he was trying to prevent.
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

No, actually, there was a VERY good chance that the world would have been obliterated had he succeeded in his mission. His intentions were to free humanity from their destiny. In a way, killing them is freeing them too.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
adrich
Elite Member

Post by adrich »

You can't really say that. It's more or less unknown what the exact effect would have been. Even Luc could only have speculated on the specific consequences.
The Board Rules: Because knowledge is power!
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

Yeah you're right, I can't say there was a very good chance, but that still makes Raww's comment was slightly wrong since he didn't give any chance for the world to be destroyed. We know there was the possibility it would happen.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Infinity

Post by Infinity »

Elle wrote:well i can see why luc would want to carry out with his whole apocolypse of the world, but i don't understand why he thought that he had to "free the world?" u guys are all making it sound like that he wanted to save the world? now, i really have to disagree with that, because in actual fact it wasn't the world that he cared about, it was only himself! he didn't care that even tho he had these weird preminitions of what the world was going to turn into, the only reason why he wanted to destroy the world was because he wanted to destroy himself. Plus, on top of everything, the world can be defined as not only the entire human race, but also what each individual feels revolves around them. The world can include only/or not the people you really care about. SO since sarah was suppose to be luc's only confident, we know he didn't care about her(b/c she was a tool to him) so he really didn't care about the world.

I mean this dude hated himself because he wasn't really human, he explains that to sasarai, and then he turns around and hates humans for being human. So luc is obviously suffering from a strong form of depression and anger...that's why he felt that the only way out was to kill himself. Now, since he's made up of a whole bunch of energy-thingies it's not as simple as wounding his body. He's made up of something past the physical state.

So since he wants desparately to end HIS existence, he needed the 5 true runes to destroy his Wind Rune, and it just so happens that WORLD was going to be anniahlated with him. Therfore, he didn't care about the world at all, he wasn't the "savior" even if he tried to make himself believe it(when he's explaining everything in the fmv shots trying to make the world sound like a "cage" etc...). Basically he was a selfish, ego-tistical, man. oooh~ so wait, since he is and can feel all those things that means he IS more human, which he figures out in the end when it's too late!
How does anyone feel once they learn of an illegitimate birth? Angry, resentful, despressed. Even so, Luc wishes to free humankind from the shackles that bind them, to divert the future from leading towards the victory of dharma. That world was pretty boring if you ask me, all grey with no people and flying orb things. The purpose of being able to play from Luc's point of view, other than being able to experience the joys of True Wind (and yes to use Yuber for all you slash-happy people), was to show the player that Luc's intentions were honorable, only that he was... slightly misguided.

If Luc and Sasarai and all those floating body parts are copies of Hikusaak... he must be pretty hot. Haha.

Luc pwns you.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Actually, there was a lot personal reasons for Luc wanting to destroy the True Wind Rune. Luc was always seen agonizing and depressed about his fate as it's unwilling bearer. Luc wanted very much to be free of his True Wind Rune. Although, he does use his premonition as justification for destroying the True Wind Rune to save "humanity" which is prominantly his main goal, he also wishes to rid himself of his unwanted burden.

Actually, I would go out on a limb and argue that he believed it was a hopeless goal to destroy the True Wind Rune, but tried to anyway because he knew there was a good thing he would meet his demise throughout the process. If you follow the story closely you could pretty much gather that Luc was suicidal and pretty much wanted to meet his end and everything else seems pretty much secondary.
sarady

Post by sarady »

Hmmm, I can see Yuber enjoying a place like that. The man lives for chaos. Perhaps he's an incarnation of chaos in this world? Siding with Luc to avert the stagnated, silent, Dharma-future to create something more to his liking?
Yuber does have the Eightfold True Rune. Maybe he too saw visions of the stagnant future and wished to change this, like Luc. However, Luc's visions of the future seemed to be very clear whereas with Geddoe, Sasarai, etc. the visions were referred to as blurry and unclear. (Because of his soul being intertwined with the TWR.) So Yuber's thoeretical visions may not have been what swayed him to side with Luc. I personally think that he joined Luc to sate his bloodlust and desire for chaos.
An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. — H. L. Mencken
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

My personal speculation is that Yuber can only exist outside of his homeworld whenver there's a need for him, so he must be summoned by someone in order to leave.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fists Of Protocol

Post by Fists Of Protocol »

This is what makes Luc one of the greatest RPG villans ever. Because everything he wants to do is totally justified.

I mean...it's almost like you wanted to say "well...if it's going to make the world a better place, then go for it." Then again...that's the same crap bin laden preaches to his followers...destroy the US and the world will be better.

The thing that bothered me about Luc in 3 is that in 2 he destroyed the Harmonian Army with a wind spell. I mean, sure he said it exhausted him greatly...but wouldnt it have made sense to do the same thing to the fire bringer...I mean, it couldn't have been any MORE exhausting than summoning the RIncar that eventually led to his death anyway.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Abusing the power of a True Rune usually ends up with you losing said True Rune, so using its full power all the time wouldn't be a very smart idea.

Also, although he could've done that this is just a video game; and doing that would've ended the game pretty soon.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fists Of Protocol

Post by Fists Of Protocol »

Jowy Atreides wrote:Abusing the power of a True Rune usually ends up with you losing said True Rune, so using its full power all the time wouldn't be a very smart idea.
That's all well and good but he wanted to lose it anyway. Besides, I hardly think using power like that twice(that we would have known of) really counts as abusing the rune...Summoning the RIncar was more abuse than anything.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

That was just a possible explanation. And although losing his rune/dying was a result of his goal, it's never said that he really wants to lose the thing.

More than likely Konami wanted S3 to last longer than, you know, 5 minutes.

Hugo: "Well, I'm off to go deliver this message to Zexen."
Luce: "Wait, I hear something in the wind."
Lucia:"Jesus christ it's a bunch of a wind blades!!"

The End
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Also, you forget the fact that there was more than one True Elemental Rune. Luc's ambition was to find the True Elemental Runes and use them on his True Wind Rune to destroy it, not to destroy the Flame Champion. His goal was to avoid conflict as long as he got all the True Elemental Runes. Besides, the True Wind Rune's power was negated by the True Earth Rune in Suikoden 2 which allowed for Sasarai to escape safely, so I'm assuming that any of the other True Elemental Runes would have been able to defend against the powers of the True Wind Rune.