Is it just me, or do dragons sound like...

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Kwaky

Is it just me, or do dragons sound like...

Post by Kwaky »

... ELEPHANTS!? Oh em gee!! :shock: Hehe.. when I first heard one I laughed... (imagined an elephant in a mud puddle making the exact same noise) Yeah... that's the only thing that really bothered me about the dragons... and the fact that like 8 people could ride 1 dragon.. (hehe just kidding... it's a game, afterall)
Kirke

Post by Kirke »

That's one of those unrealistic RPG moments. Not only do a whole mess of people fit in the "basket" on Black's back, but when they play the cutscene, there's NO VISIBLE BASKET ANYWHERE. I guess we're supposed to imagine it? Cleo complained about the basket being cramped, but that's ridiculous.

And yeah, it's an elephant sound. Actually, every once in a while, my game will freeze up after it makes its sound. I've never had my game freeze anywhere else, but I can remember at least two times that the elephant sound effect caused me to have to reset. Anyone else seen this?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

maybe by "basket" they meant his mouth O_O.

but seriously, they didn't use great sound technology for Suikoden 1... that's all.
Kirke

Post by Kirke »

Yup. The music was great, but some of the sound effects were... questionable. How about the "<character> recruited!" noise? There were times when that loud, oriental strings music just seemed inappropriate.

Tir is sitting at his dying father's side, listening to his last words about how he's so proud to see his son surpass him. "Theme of Sadness" is playing in the background. All of a sudden, "DEEDLEELEOWWMMM"... and Soul Eater level 3 is unlocked. They used the same sound effect in later games, but they at least toned it down a little bit.
Faust

Post by Faust »

Yes, the dragon's mighty "roar" does indeed sound very elephantine. Almost pachiadermesque hehe.

Still, every time I decide to play Suikoden again I'm always nicely surprised when I hear it. It's like "Oh YEAH, I forgot about that *chortle*".
Solamen miseris socios habuisse doloris
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

yeah I think they actually recorded an elephant or something
Requiem

Post by Requiem »

I doubt it was recorded by the production team. It sounds more like a stock sound effect to me. Anyone can download those rather easily.

Either way, I remember buying Suikoden off of eBay, and popping it into my PS2 so excitedly when I finally got it. Then I heard Black's 'mighty roar' and nearly fell off of my bed laughing.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Heh, so it's not just me after all who think that the Suikoden Dragons sound like Elephants...*Crosses off Mental Hospital Check-In on Calender*

As KFCrispy said, they used rather average sound technology in Suikoden I. I mean, the music was great but the Sound Effects could have really used some improvement.

For example, when you're sneaking into Lepant's mansion, the door creaks so loudly and crudely you just feel like saying shoosh! ...Or is that just me? *Puts Mental Hospital Check-In back on the calender*
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

some of the sound effects are good, like for the runes, in fact most of those in battle.
weird_name_lah

Post by weird_name_lah »

Just to add-on... Remember that this game was released only in 1995... It was made in the olden days where games are not that of good quality yet... It was the same year when Beyond the Beyond was released and when you compare them u'll realize how great and marvellous the game is... Yap that's all... :D
Einlanzer

Post by Einlanzer »

Are people really this bored to point out insignificant things like this, on a game that is almost a decade old?

Maybe Konami was limited to it's sound resources back then. Who knows? I don't find it a big enough deal to start a thread about it.
Sasarai is cute

Post by Sasarai is cute »

I have never experienced Suikoden 1 freezing, at least not what I can recall.

In Suikoden 2 however, I have encountered freezing and have been forced to reset when the Magus-type enemies (the same ones found in the cave of the ages and Moravia castle in Suikoden 1) in the cave of the wind and L'Rennouille does their fire beam attack that blasts through the ranks of your characters.

However, this was the first time I played Suikoden 2, in pirated form. I am 98% certain that this lock up was because of the game being a copy.

I bought the real game soon afterwards and have never experienced freezing since then.

In Suikoden 3 however, the game has forced me to reset a few times when entering the world map right at the beginning of a chapter, when the trinity sight screen switches to the world map directly that is. The first time this happened I think was at the beginning of Hugo's chapter 2.
Those who fear dying deserves death.