Suikoden II NPC Dialogue

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
TheyCallMeStacy

Re: Suikoden II NPC Dialogue

Post by TheyCallMeStacy »

Nice finds! I look forward to the dialogue you get from when you liberate Muse. Idk if anyone has done a guide like this for Suikoden V, but I also heard you get pretty dark dialogue from Doraat and Rainwall after you liberate them for the final time. I like it though, it really adds seriousness to the plot, emphasizes that there is a war going on, and emphasizes the importance of defeating the opposing side.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

There isn't much to say about Muse. Other than the four shopkeepers (inn/armory/rune/item... appraiser and blacksmith are gone) , there are only six people left. And two of them just say "Everyone, they're all gone."

- Zenith the Runemaster who gives you a Flowing Rune
- the old man by the front gate
- the woman in green by Jowston Hill
- the man in the black coat on the west side of town
- the hide-and-seek girl on the second floor of the armory
- the old man in the inn who gives you Recipe 35
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I think the story of the Muse armor shop owners Millian and Melia is one of these sad little stories that most people will miss. Muse in general is such a sad city by the end of the game.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

There's a kid in the South Window inn whose father is missing, as well. I think that ends tragically, too.
TheyCallMeStacy

Dang, that's sad about Muse and the kid in South Window. Forgot to ask, but do people in liberated Coronet, Highway Village, and Greenhill have much different lines? I am guessing Highway has little changes, but curious about the other two. Makes that one story you mentioned about the cat having kittens in Coronet a bit of a happy note to the tragic backdrop of the game.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I know that Coronet has a mistake in the localization where they copy the same version of the town pre-Highland invasion and when they get occupied right after Muse falls so even though the Japanese version has the townpeople react to the occupation but in the localization they act like nothing happened. As an example there's a guy in the docks that won't take you to Kuskus pre-invasion because there's a storm coming, post-invasion it's because of the Highlanders but in the localization it's always the storm.

I *think* there's some other event/town that has the same issue where they just copied over the localization without realizing there'd be differences.

But at least the blacksmith in Coronet has a little mini-story going where he gets depressed after Highland invades and comes out of it once the Muse area is liberated.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

They did that in Tinto. It's what causes the soft-lock glitch, but you have to go into an interior map and back to the town that one event where what's-his-face from Muse is sending out troops to make it happen. I know there's at least 2-4 places where they added extra modules during localization, and they're all candidates for issues like that.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

There's no way to reenter Greenhill before Liberation, right? Because it looks like there's a whole set of lines for the townspeople under Highland occupation that are otherwise inaccessible during normal gameplay.

Also, it seems Nanami has alternate lines in the forest path to Matilda if you refused her until she forcibly joined you in the castle.

Oh, and the father of the kid in the South Window Inn does make it home OK.

The south Window towns have at least 10 different sets of lines each, so that will take a while to break down. Some.e of them, based on what is said, have very small windows of time to access.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

There's no normal way in, no. With cheats you can warp in there and it's even possible to recruit Stallion as his cut content is still accessible in one of those instances of Greenhill.
TheyCallMeStacy

I think those Greenhill lines may be a holdover of plot events being shuffled around in development, as speculated by the discourse around the Matilda Glitch. I believe Futch has lines in Greenhill even though he normally is not recruitable by then.

I think it's also possible that earlier in development you may have been able to explore around the city while you are liberating it, and could chat with villagers during this time. Instead you automatically get put into a boss fight once you go far enough into the city without really needing to explore around.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

For anyone who knows the text dump, there are some things I can't seem to find anywhere.

- Yoshino's recruitment (It has the "Whew... should we take a rest?" line, but not the rest of it.)
- Stallions' recruitment in Radat (I can only find the unused lines in Greenhill. They're different)
- Any of the lines in the Kobold Village. It has the Chief's lines during the Hix & Tengaar quest sections, but not the ambient ones.

Anyone know what files contain these?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Yoshino and Stallion are both in vd02, vd05 and vd19, kobold village NPCs are in vh03
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Thanks, but I just checked those files again and they're not there. I even re-extracted the files from the .zip in case I accidentally deleted them previously.

Stallion's lines don't appear at all. They have Amada, Tuta (for some reason), Anita, Simone, Vincent, and Richmond, but not Stallion.
There are four Yoshino lines, all of which are triggered by entering the yard, but the subsequent scene with Freed isn't there.
And the VH03 contains the plot dialogue for the Unicorn Quest, but not the random townsfolk lines.

I also realized the Banner Village NPCs are missing, as well.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The only script I have to work off is the PSP one and that's where they are in that, there are discrepancies since some files don't exist at all in the original and vice-versa but it seems unlikely to that degree unless they suddenly decided to optimize something. There could be a problem with the dump as well for all I know.

Yoshino's recruitment lines comes right after the "whew" line and is repeated 3 times in vd02.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Is there any way you can send me those files? And Banner, if you can find them?

I'm not too worried about Stallion and Yoshino since I already have those from gameplay and there are no weird alternate versions of anything.
But the NPC lines are what I'm really looking for.