Turn order for new enemy spawns

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Re: Turn order for new enemy spawns

Post by Wolkendrache »

Pyriel wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:37 am 3c is that they're just sorted in a way that isn't deterministic, or at the very least isn't from the player's perspective. For example, the re-sort starts grabbing from the bottom of the original list, and that unintentionally gives an advantage to characters that were previously lower in the order, if the recognizable/intended criteria are equal.
Possible. If that’s the case, and we want to test it, we only need 2 enemy reinforcements with identical Spd appearing before Paula & co. Once our allies arrive, these 2 enemies have a 50% chance of switching places, right? Alternatively, you can use 2 characters with identical Spd doing nothing up to that point.
By the way, in srd_27’s video, where a 3rd person (Corselia) is involved, we got the one (out of 6) combination in which the 2 bowmen don’t switch places and Corselia is put at the last spot.
Another question: If the recognizable/intended criteria are equal, then the random re-sorting must be intentionally added to the respective formula, or wouldn’t the game crash otherwise?

@srd_27: That other save is still useful for testing. Pyriel’s 3c is the easiest to test. For the other cases you don’t need 2 enemies or 2 characters with identical Spd, but you need either any character or casting character on either the same action bar value or close (all depending on the case) to an enemy at the time your allies arrive. Unfortunately the action bar values aren’t visible. If we are lucky, we get to see some more place switchings so we are able to rule out some cases (or even all of them and leave us re-dumbfounded).
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Turn order for new enemy spawns

Post by Pyriel »

Wolkendrache wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:08 pm Another question: If the recognizable/intended criteria are equal, then the random re-sorting must be intentionally added to the respective formula, or wouldn’t the game crash otherwise?
Sorry, I don't really know what you mean by that. It sounds like you're thinking that the game would crash if it didn't have a way to resolve three characters having the same priority in a sort, but I kind of answered that in my first post. No. They'd just land in the list, essentially in the order the game discovered it needed to insert them.

If the other question about the 50% chance was meant for me, I can't really answer that. I doubt it's necessarily a 50% chance. It depends on how it goes through the data (down from them top or up from the bottom), and how it looks for the right place to insert an entry. For instance, if the list has 39 and 38 already sorted, and the next entry is also 38, does it go right below the 39, or at the bottom? It depends on the implementation.