Suikoden I & II Coming to Steam, XBOXone, PS4, Switch

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Suikoden I & II Coming to Steam, XBOXone, PS4, Switch

Post by wataru14 »

I am shocked that the announcement wasn't Silent Hill. Part of me thinks it's a panic reaction to Eiyuden, especially since the release of the two games is scheduled to be fairly close. But I am absolutely overjoyed!!!

Loving the new portraits, and the backgrounds.
The new sound effects will take some getting used to, just because the old ones are so iconic to the game.
It's only a demo right now, so I suspect the graphical and interface things will be tweaked later.
I would love to see the Saturn stuff added, but I don't think they'll do that. Same thing with II's NG+. But it would be amazing if they did.
Hoping they fix the bugged Earth Rune spells.
I also doubt they'll add multiple Rune slots to 1. It would require a massive overhaul of a lot of other parts of the game.

But this announcement brings the games to a whole new generation of players! The FF Pixel Remasters were well-received, and I have no doubt people will fall in love with the games all over again.
Destinys_Warrior

Post by Destinys_Warrior »

I assume the games will have a limited physical release?

I want to see some good solid marketing from Konami. They need to up their social media game, i can only see a dedicated twitter page.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Maybe?

Konami did a physical release of the Cowabunga Collection. The other ones have been relegated to Limited Run Gaming which ain't so great. Hopefully Konami will do this one themselves too.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Dauntless07

Post by Dauntless07 »

While this is great news, I’d be lying if I didn’t acknowledge my disappointment. I wish they had put more effort into creating a true remaster. The portraits and backgrounds are objective improvements, but the sprites and music are identical to the originals. Compared to the Eiyuden trailer that dropped a couple days ago, the difference in quality is palpable. I also wanted idle movements in battle, like in S2, added to S1. While there’s something to be said for experiencing a game as it originally was, we’ve been able to do that on PS3, PSP, and Vita for some time now, (though I don’t see them on the PS Store now to be fair.) In any case, they easily could have included that option in the PS4 version at the very least. It was time for a touch up of all art assets, in my opinion, but we didn’t get it.
Last edited by Dauntless07 on Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dauntless07

Post by Dauntless07 »

JuveLeo wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:33 am Why is there no releases for next gen consoles?
The developers say it’s a matter of availability. Not everyone who wanted a current generation console has been able to get one, but anyone can find a used PS4. This way, they can sell it to as many people as possible.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Destinys_Warrior wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:11 am
I want to see some good solid marketing from Konami. They need to up their social media game, i can only see a dedicated twitter page.
Well, they should not have let Yuichi Haga out of the door, and leave the company then.

Really, you want to know what eventually worked to get the Suikoden games onto PSN for PS3? Dan actually introduced Yuichi Haga at Konami to Gio Corsi at Sony, in the end, that was the footholds we needed in the industry to get things done. Both are amazing social media and marketing people, and have been stalwart allies of us all.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

If these do well, we may get remakes of 3-5. Developers held a interviewer about wanting to continue making Suikoden games and didn’t want to stop at the 1&2 remaster.

Would be pretty wild if they ever decide to bring the gaiden games, but I’m extremely happy about them remastering 1&2.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Destinys_Warrior

Post by Destinys_Warrior »

Rooks wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:13 pm Well, they should not have let Yuichi Haga out of the door, and leave the company then.
I remember Yuichi from the early days of getting the games on the PSN.

His recent tweet was interesting:
while I still worked for Konami at E3 2015- I was told to my face that there will never be another #Suikoden game because it just doesn’t sell in the states & Europe.

That started Project “Stars of Destiny” which is now #eiyudenchronicles

And now we here.
I’m so happy!
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

I have had some time now to gather my thoughts, and I would like to share them with you all.

Perfection does not exist in Art. Tell me that Beethoven's 9th symphony does not drag a bit in the 2nd movement, before it finishes in the glorious 4th movement, the Ode to Joy.

Perfection cannot exist in Art at all. It doesn't happen. These new remasters of Suikoden will be imperfect, and we can nit-pick about them all we want. But the most important thing is that we all work together to make the most of this.

And yeah, it is possible that, for example, the Firefly Scene in Suikoden II might be hampered by widescreen that shows the archers waiting in the wings, just as it was in the PSP version of the game. I don't care that much. We need to concentrate on how to build from what we have. How do we recruit new fans of the games? How do we introduce them to the core moral and philosophical concepts that the series represents? and portrays with brilliance?

Let us work with what we have. And what we shall have in an unknown quantity at this point. And that is frightening, to be certain. But, at the same time, I find it exciting, like charting an unknown course across unexplored lands.

Its gonna get crazy. But I love you all, and support you all. We have an immense opportunity, here, and we should not get bogged down in the details, and we should focus on the greater objectives.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Rooks wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:46 am
And yeah, it is possible that, for example, the Firefly Scene in Suikoden II might be hampered by widescreen that shows the archers waiting in the wings, just as it was in the PSP version of the game. I don't care that much. We need to concentrate on how to build from what we have. How do we recruit new fans of the games? How do we introduce them to the core moral and philosophical concepts that the series represents? and portrays with brilliance?
You win new fans with a high quality product, not a lazy port. This is much better than nothing, but it is extremely disppoing nonetheless. Just compare the Suikoden trailer to Eiyuden, Eiyuden just looks much more polished in every way. Or compare it to Octopath, Triangle Strategy,...

I'm glad we're getting this, but if they just update the graphics a bit and don't update the translations from scratch, I don't see the point. It just looks lazy if North Window HQ looks like made from cardboard due to the widescreen resolution.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

You know this will be the case with Konami. It'll most likely be just a quick cash grab for them. Obviously the majority of hardcore Suikoden fans will careless what the game looks like (me,) but it may be a turn off for curious gamers keeping an eye on this.

I'm still excited regardless though. Hopefully they polish this a bit more for potential new fans.
Kobold

Post by Kobold »

I personally don't understand how people can still be critical and negative about this. Maybe I'm just too easily contented. For me, I'm so happy Suikoden even gets into the spotlight in current times that I literally couldn't give two shits about Konami's 'motives' or whether the remaster is 'good' or not.

I mean, it's been 16 friggin years since S5, and 10 years since the word Suikoden even popped up on Konami's radar. This is the miracle many of us literally never thought was possible. I can't even bring myself to criticise anything about this. I just want everyone to spend their money and make sure that BOTH the remasters and Eiyuden Chronicle become a massive commercial success, enough of a success that Konami is motivated to revive the series properly, and god forbid make a proper Suikoden 6 (preferably with the help of rabbit & bear studios.

That is the real dream. I will die with no regrets.
Long time lurker...
faospark

Post by faospark »

just glad it is going to happen. if it is made from unity then it would be a lot easier to mod.
DenisFps

Post by DenisFps »

lmao you are all here criticising that the remaster looks like this or that and its not the best, cant you just thank konami for at least making it after 20 freaking years this is a miracle last time we expected a remaster they fooled everyone, at least this time we are getting it
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Kobold wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:31 am I just want everyone to spend their money and make sure that BOTH the remasters and Eiyuden Chronicle become a massive commercial success, enough of a success that Konami is motivated to revive the series properly, and god forbid make a proper Suikoden 6 (preferably with the help of rabbit & bear studios.

That is the real dream. I will die with no regrets.
This is just such a weird overreach to me. If this was Suikoden 6, I'd be hyped, no doubt about it. For a remaster, it's absolutely a "wait and see" response from me. They're selling me a product I already own, possibly as a way to see if there's enough money in the trough for them to get a little fatter off it further down the road. I'm under absolutely no obligation to start making unconditional plans to slop in more money just to appease them.

There are a lot of factors that'll influence my decision, a big one being price. If all we get is a graphical upgrade, a slightly improved translation, and what looks like stock RPG Maker menu assets, that's a big "nope" from me beyond about $5-$10. I might recommend it to people who are interested in playing the games for the first time, or in a more convenient package depending on where it lands. However, if that level of effort comes at the $40-$60 price-point, Konami can sod right off. If it ends up being the definitive version, with improved visuals across the board, better writing, quality of life improvements, updates to old features, new additions and reinsertions of abandoned ideas, then I'm more flexible.

I will definitely not "die with no regrets" because I lived the dream of chucking $20 or whatever at Konami, even if the remaster is pretty crap, to give them a financial signal that I'd be willing to throw more money at them, if they produce something actually new in the future.