rune combos

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

There is no 3-rune combo.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

The rumor persists because the Old Book, from GS1 I believe, claims there are. Perhaps this would be something the developers considered but later decided against because it would require more work on their part, and would hardly get used by the players even so, unless it was game-breakingly powerful.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Ginzo wrote:I've had a feeling about this when reading the book( that tells the story of the true runes - old book vol ?? 3 perhaps?)

As the book says there was darkness and then it shed two tears ............................... (to the end)

So I thought what if I combine the final spell of each (Bright shield,Black sword , and darkness) 8)

However doing that is only possible during the fight with Gordo since both Jowy and Riou both have their final spells , only problem is there isn't a third person holding darkness

I've tried equipping Riou with Darkness but nothing happened
Do not confuse the "Sword" and the "Shield" that spawned the 27 true runes with the "Bright Sword Rune" and the "Black Shield Rune" as they are two different entities. The Sword and the Shield are just heard of in the myth of the beginning of the world, where as the Bright Shield and Black Sword runes are two ASPECTS of the rune of beginning (not true runes, nor even HALVES of a true rune, but only aspects that fuse to form a third enitiy). If you heard the saying "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts" you'll know what I mean.

As for a third person holding darkness....well Tir McDohl. Souleater is a higher level darkness rune. Mind you this has nothing to do with the Rune of the beginning as the souleater is equal in power, nor do they have anything more to do with the Sword, the Shield and the Darkness of legend asides from being born adorning them.
Harukaze wrote:The rumor persists because the Old Book, from GS1 I believe, claims there are. Perhaps this would be something the developers considered but later decided against because it would require more work on their part, and would hardly get used by the players even so, unless it was game-breakingly powerful.
Tanx for the confo Harukaze. I knew I wasn't crazy heh. :P
Has anyone actually TRIED the 3 rune combos? At least in Suikoden I?

There are only 10 possible combinations and for anyone wanting to try them out here is the list of possibilities:

Rage, Mother Earth, Cyclone
Rage, Mother Earth, Flowing
Rage, Mother Earth, Thunder
Rage, Cyclone, Flowing
Rage, Cyclone, Thunder
Rage, Flowing, Thunder
Mother Earth, Cyclone, Flowing
Mother Earth, Cyclone, Thunder
Mother Earth, Flowing, Thunder
Cyclone, Flowing, Thunder

I'll give it a shot when I finish uni next week but if you can't wait until then, go ahead and try it.
Tanx to Star of Destiny for making my av!!! 8^p
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

It has been tried, and I repeat, there is no 3-rune combo.
The new chief of moderating team. If you notice any problems within the discussion forum, do inform me. Thank you.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Aite, tanx for the confirmation. It is in the book in Suiko one though which is kinda strange, mind you that book also tells that Mazus has 100 runes on his body yet we can only use one in the game.
Red Killey
Elite Member

Post by Red Killey »

It was Crowley, not Mazus. And it's expected for such thing to happen because it might be a part of the story instead of gameplay.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Bleh, again I mix up these two dudes.

Well yea I don't expect that Crowley would use the runes but it just seemed logical if one of the books said there were two rune unites, which was true, saying that there are also three rune unites seemed very likely, but as Harukaze kindly pointed out the creators decided to cut this out due to its difficulty.

I find that three rune unites would definatelly be game-breakingly powerful as two rune unites such as Thunder/Rage cause Thunder damage to ALL enemies. Three rune unites would have to top that which would be very high damage and probably healing at the same time.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

Anything worth using three level-four slots in one shot would have to be, else it would be worthless.

<fanboy>Oh but how I would love to see what might happen by combining all five True elemental runes</fanboy>.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

True, mind you Luc, Mazus and Crowley had a decent chance of going up to 6-7 Lvl4 spells at lvl 99 so you'd get some use out of it. Possibly kill the Beast Rune within a cpl of turns. Mind you I already take him out in two anyways.

Heh, I can so see that happening too with fanboys though.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

Actually I was channeling my own inner fanboy there for a moment. I really would like to see, conceptually storywise what might happen if all five were used in conjunction. The more fanboy part of me wants to see it on screen, though :) Thankfully I don't let him out of the box very often though.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

HAHAHHAHAA, I know what you mean. No way it could happen though as certain runes aren't compatible. I think three would have to be the maximum.
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

You mean conceptually, storywise, or gameplaywise? I'd be intrigued to hear your opinion on it if it's the former.
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Well it says in the book in Suiko I that the elemental runes can combine IF they are compatible. Same thing applied to three way runes (I'm positive I read it in the book).

Therefore four runes couldn't be used as all four would have to be compatible with one another and opposite to the remaining rune. Suppose Konami could come up with some way that the non-compatibility and compatibility cancel the effects of eachother and when unite they balance and unit their powers blah blah blah, but I personally think that this would butcher the story somewhat and thus far Konami doesn't seem that cliche....even though it'd definatelly be a fun event to see (for that lil fan boy/girl in all of us :D )
Harukaze

Post by Harukaze »

Actually I don't think it's that odd to imagine. Okay, which ones are incompatible? Let's assume for the moment that from an In Character sense, triple unites are possible. Just a reminder folks, we have left discussing the game for this [and would have turned this into a new thread if we had the ability to take the last few posts with us; since the original topic at hand was as complete as it could get, I hope no one minds that much that we're kidnapping the thread ;)] and are now discussing the matter from purely a -story- perspective.

Double unites, from earlier in the thread:

Fire + Lightening = Blazing Camp
Lightening + Water = Thor
Water + Wind= Water Dragon
Wind + Earth = Wind Fang
Earth + Fire = Scorched Earth

Okay, so triple unites, logically, would be:

Fire + Lightening + Water
Lightening + Water + Wind
Water + Wind + Earth
Wind + Earth + Fire
Earth + Fire + Lightning

Okay. Imagine the elements on a wheel in the order introduced by the double unites: Fire, Lightning, Water, Wind, Earth and back to Fire again. It helps if you've played Magic: the Gathering. Consider each element neighboring your chosen element as an ally element; the two others then are enemy elements.

Let's examine any of the triples now. You have a focus element and both of its ally elements [for example Lightning has both Fire and Water]. The problem is, a single element's allies are enemies to each other. Just accepting the concept of a triple unite now means that whomever accomplished this [I too forget if it was Crowley or Mathers (sorry, I like properly translated names, sue me) and I'm too lazy to open up a new window to see ;)] must have already found a way to overcome this opposing affinity. Why then could you not include four or even all five, if this much is accomplished?
Black Fang

Post by Black Fang »

Hahah, I think its ok that we "kidnapped" this thread as the topic is relevant to what we're saying and noones really replying anyways heh. And dayamn, the you're really letting the fanboy in you come out hahaha.

I've played Magic a while back but remember the system. It was Crowley that came up with the two and three rune systems and Eminem?!?....(Mazus :P )

The way I was thinking was that rather than having two ally runes, a single rune had two runes it was incompatible with. As in each rune kinda hated another two heh.

The Circle:

Fire <-> Water <-> Earth <-> Lightening <-> Wind <-> Fire

So basically every rune hates the one following and the one preceding it and is thus uncompatible with either. Of course this is just a theory and is about as valid as yours lol.

Therefore Fire would only be compatible with Earth and Lightening. This would justify Crowley's affinity theory........well at least in one way.