Suikoden 3 Speed Runs (& Questions)

If you are stuck in the Flame Champion War; or wish for more details on gameplay issues, ask your questions in this forum.
SpaceCoyote

Re: Suikoden 3 Speed Runs (& Questions)

Post by SpaceCoyote »

Yea man, I see you out there. Thanks for hanging out; I appreciate it!

As for the damage formula, if you want to post it here in its entirety that would be great. That way everyone else searching will be able to easily find it, and it will also be nice for me to make sure my "Order of Operations" are correct.

Other than that, I still don't have exact figures for percentage increase for damage dealt per "Cover Support" in war battles, but it's fine. And the real mystery will always be to find out what determines the direction of retreat when there is more than one option. But it's really not that important. The project is wrapping up and it's about time to move on to something else.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

The damage formulas are pretty much the same throughout the series. I don't have exact information but we can try to narrow down what you're looking for.

Magic damage will be the ([spell base] * [caster's affinity] + [caster's MAG]) (this total can be increased by Alert status) reduced by the target's magic resistance (often 20% for all enemies, all elements unless they're specifically weak to an element) and target's MDF. However, I don't recall if it MDEF applies before or after the magic resistance reduction.
I'm not exactly sure where the Battlefield spell multiplier comes into play, but it likely applies like Alert.

Physical damage is the attacker's total ATK, reduced by the enemy's PDF. There is a special rule for chain mail and piercing weapons (spears); I believe those Rock Golems have chain mail type physical defense. If a character has a 2nd swing, its ATK is 75% of the original ATK. For swings 3, 4, 5, etc, they are all 56.25% (75% of 75%) of the original ATK.
In some games, Fury applies to total ATK and sometimes total Damage.
A key difference in this game is that critical hits ignore all defense.
SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote »

That's helpful. Thanks KFCrispy; appreciate it!
thecasualoblivion

Post by thecasualoblivion »

I don’t know if this has been said before, but the bonus for cover in War Battles might also work on defense though not indicated on the map. In my recent playthrough I had a few instances of an enemy unit attacking one of my units where an ally unit was in cover position and my team did noticeably more damage in that defense.
SpaceCoyote

Post by SpaceCoyote »

Cover is definitely an offense only mechanic. You can tell this because it works for the enemy on offense on their turn when your team is set up in a formation where technically you should be getting the cover bonus on your team as well, but you don't. It's also easy to see the numbers in a speedrun setting where you are under-leveled without sharpened weapons, doing minimal damage on defense or on your offensive turn without Cover support vs on your turn with 3x Cover support. What you might have noticed are the passive damage increasing skills that some of the battle units have, especially if multiple units ended up occupying the same area on a defensive turn while being attacked.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

You can also get some bonus on the tile/terrain.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

gildedtalon wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:53 pm 4. I just fought the final boss not too long ago. The boss' current color means he's immune to that element for that turn.
I wasted Hammer of Raijin for nothing lol.
Hmm I'm wondering about this. So I saw a twitch streamer take on the final boss with Futch mounted on Bright in the party. The Wind Rune Incarnation was yellow (should be Earth) and Futch & Bright attacked the it. The fire breath did 0 damage. This happened the next turn as well, with the Wind Rune Incarnation looking silver or something--hard to tell! Next turn, the boss looked yellow, and Bright's fire breath still did 0 damage. Then the Wind Rune Incarnation itself became red and took damage from the fire breath. Next turn it was green and took damage again from the fire breath.. this was the last turn.

In the last 2 turns, Bright's fire breath did pretty much the same damage to the red and green color. I've seen Bright does 0 damage to enemies confirmed to be immune to fire, so I'm not sure it give the boss immunity to the element.....
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I've been wondering about those color changes so I decided to look it up and according to the bestiary in Konami's official guide there's only one Wind Rune Incarnation with set stats and resistances. It does have a C Level Magic Reflect Skill, so it should have a 10% chance to reflect any spell then. This appears to be true of the runes as well. There's no note that says anything about what the shifting colors mean though.

Looking at the notes for the boss in the walkthrough section there doesn't appear to be any mention either, just that it can repel magic but only once per turn.

But if it's of any interest to anyone this is what it says for the Incarnation itself:

Level: 65 HP: 11,000
STR: 160 SKL: 130 MAG: 140 EVA: 95 DEF: 40 MDEF: 110 SPD: 105 LUCK: 94
Usable skill: Magic Repel (C)
Resistances: Slash/Thrust/Punch/Shoot: D
Fire: B Water: C Wind: S Earth: C Lightning: B
Potch: 50,000 Skill Points: 1,000
Attacks: Body Blow - Special Attack - Wing Laser
Immune to all status ailments except Silence and Slow
Range: Long (Flying)
Targets: Back Row
And apparently Can't be Angered
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.