Rina and Eilie are mean.

Hypotheses for, and analyses of, the various Suikoden characters.
BrucePrintscreen

Re: Rina and Eilie are mean.

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Well that's not the casual fight that he knows Nanami can easily handle. Pretty early on in the game Riou has a demonstration that he should not worry to much for her: when he goes to rescue her from jail in Kyaro she happens to have rescued herself. We can assume that Riou understood this day that he should not bother defending her because she can do it herself... Until the Gorudo attack when the danger she faces is much bigger.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Don't forget its the player's decision whether Riou defends Nanami during Rockaxe or not. You have a split second to decide whether you want to risk your life for Nanami or leave her to deflect the arrows herself. Of course, she gets shot either way, but if you do try to defend her, she pulls through and even says to Shu that a leader shouldn't let personal feelings get in the way of his more important goal.

It's quite clever making it out like that, because if Riou did defend Nanami in normal combat, then the player would just think "why make that one storyline event optional to protect her if he does it automatically in battles any way?"

I'm not sure if the heroes from other games will protect their closest friends in combat, though I'm sure both Lazlo and Kyrill protect their closest friends in Tactics.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Tir doesn't protect anyone and Suikodens II and V don't have a protect mechanic as far as I know.
Roshambeaux

Post by Roshambeaux »

wataru14 wrote:Tir doesn't protect anyone and Suikodens II and V don't have a protect mechanic as far as I know.
I recall Jowy and Nanami taking a hit for Riou when he's in critical condition, and the Phero and Knight runes are present in the game. The same goes for Suikoden V, so with the exception of the first one, all of the main games have the protect mechanic.
A raw tomato for the win!
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I meant III and V. Oops. I've never gotten a protect (without those two Runes I mean) in either of those games.