[Dead] Suikoden Game for RMXP

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Yensoo

Re: [Dead] Suikoden Game for RMXP

Post by Yensoo »

If we use something like RMXP or RMVX and keep it simple enough we could make the game without a coder. I know it wouldn't be super flashy, but it's an idea.
Long live Suikoden!
Trahison

Post by Trahison »

Yensoo wrote:If we use something like RMXP or RMVX and keep it simple enough we could make the game without a coder. I know it wouldn't be super flashy, but it's an idea.
I don't know anything about what happened previously, but my opinion is that perhaps it wouldn't be difficult to find willing coders if the project was alive & well on its way with enough interested parties to take care of the less technical portions, like art, plot & script, possibly music, some vision of gameplay... I think if I were a coder, I would be much more interested in lending time and effort to a project that was alive and going strong in its other areas of creation instead of just signing on to something that was still in its conceptual infancy. :)

I really like the idea someone suggested of creating a website with lots of available information regarding what's done, what needs to be done, and who we need to do it. I'm really interested in being involved in this and helping out however I can if others are too. I liked what I read of the story you guys had going and Yensoo's concept art is great; I'd love to see it all amount to something and possibly be a part of it.
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

I disagree. Much of what I did when the project was alive was to try to entice talented designers to join. When I finally got some they turned out to be unreliable. Besides, Yensoo, Dragoramzi, and myself would only be able to a fan fiction, some artwork, and a website. I might be wrong but none of us can actually make a game.

What if we make this huge script involving many important large scale battles and the person we get to make the game simply can't do that? What if we write a strong supporting plot involving a Runemaster and the Designer can't create a Rune System? Having a programmer participating during the games inception is critical.

Suikoden has a lot of minimum requirements to meet. We may not need a scripter, because games like Exit Fate have created many of the necessary scripts out there for RMXP. But honestly, we need someone. who can use RMXP or RMVX well enough to make a game. Those programs are really really hard to use.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Trying to mimic the complexity of Exit Fate would be a tall order indeed if you haven't got experienced RPGMaker coder(s).

Why not just start out with the default battle system and instead do the more immediate concerns like detailing the maps/locations and translating designs/storyboards into actual in-game scenes. Then do incremental changes to the battle systems as you go along?

Even if they never got Exit Fate's kind of critical acclaim, I did enjoy what the older Suikoden-styled RPGMaker trilogy called Legion Saga tried to do with what they had way back then, and it was obvious the creator refined the battle system over the course of the series.
Jack of All Trades

Honestly, I don't know how hard it is to implement a script that has all ready been written... by someone else. I will say that it is absolutely mandatory that we have both strategy battles and random battles. It just wouldn't feel like Suikoden without it. In retrospect, that is probably the only thing that is 100% crucial to the plot.
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

hi, i know how to program. i am in my junior year of a computer science degree. i can help you but you need to be organized. if i don't know what you want me to program i can't do it. if you expect it to be a full time job i can't do it. if you don't even know what program you're making the game in, it's really hard to help. if that's a decision that you would rather your programmer make then your programmer should be in charge of your project and not you. are you a script writer or are you in charge of this project? it kind of sounds like you want to create a game but have no idea how to, so you're looking for someone to put a ton of time into making your game for you for free. if that's not the case then you need to take some initiative and get organized. get organized. get organized and make some decisions and you will receive help.
Yensoo

Post by Yensoo »

I don't think it's really a big deal who's "in charge" nessicarily. I mean the coder is obviously going to be in charge of coding and gamplay elements, the writer will be in charge of story, dialog, character creation ect. Each person is going to be in charge of their own department really. But if you mean just like our web presence and choices of production or whatever, I don't think it matters too much who is in charge when it's just a non-profit project. As long as people don't mind working together.
Anyway, I'm totally okay with you being in charge if Jack and Brady don't mind.
Anything to get this project going.
Long live Suikoden!
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

i'm not sure i want to be in charge, considering i haven't even read the game script yet. i'm just trying to show that there is at least some level of skilled interest if the project is going to get started again.

my recommendation would be to create a free wiki here: http://www.wikispaces.com/content/wiki
and share the login info with the involved team members. we can setup specific sections for the different aspects of the projects and the team members can upload what they have accomplished so far. once everything has been established the goal should be to map out how to create a short working demo of the game. if we can accomplish the task of putting together maybe a 20 minute demo then it will hopefully spark enough interest to elaborate on the project and eventual have a full game.
Dragoramzi

Headed for failure... Again.

Post by Dragoramzi »

I don't know anything about what happened previously, but my opinion is that perhaps it wouldn't be difficult to find willing coders if the project was alive & well on its way with enough interested parties to take care of the less technical portions, like art, plot & script, possibly music, some vision of gameplay... I think if I were a coder, I would be much more interested in lending time and effort to a project that was alive and going strong in its other areas of creation instead of just signing on to something that was still in its conceptual infancy
That is exactly how I was feeling when I started to try and get interest back into the project, but I don't think everyone here agrees with that train of thought. We need to build a strong base for the story and things of that nature before we tackle the other beast that is the systems end of things. And hell, to be totally honest, I don't mind if we turn this into an elaborate fan fiction, I could see this being a pretty badass online graphic novel.

I also feel the same way Yensoo, whoever is in "Charge" should be so over what they are doing and that should probably be about it.

About Jack's concerns, I can use RMXP(or VX), no problem have I made anything worth looking at, no I am probably like the other 98% of RMXP users who have it but have not made anything of note. I am much more a visual and not so much a logical worker but I can use it with some skill. And if I don't know how to use a specific feature, guess what I won't sit and cry about it, I'll go and learn.

Implementing Scripts is a no brainer, once we have them. I do low level programming myself (more coding for dumb languages, Java, JS, html, CSS... Etc.) and can understand most scripts when I have time to look over them and read into them for a bit. No biggy, Ruby and RGSS are OOP Languages and given a bit of time I can contribute to the codes as well. And trust me if it had looked like it would turn into something full time I would have not even bothered.

I'm almost certain that we don't have a script yet, but that will bring me to my point later. Tonight I will create a wiki and provide everyone with login information so that we can work on figuring out if we can get this dead horse on the move(I'm no necromancer...). From the sound of what I have heard though this may truely be a snafu. I think we should take this somewhere else to collab before Suikosource starts raging at us for being so active lately. Yensoo and I have MSN, PM me here and let me know the best way to get ahold of you and I'll see if we can get something figured out Flufflez.
Jack of All Trades

Well then I'm in. I've been totally helpless to stop myself from brainstorming about the plot anyway. I don't have anything we created anymore. I'll have to start over from scratch but that's okay because I have much tighter more focused ideas this time around.
Last edited by Jack of All Trades on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragoramzi

Post by Dragoramzi »

That's the Jack I remember. PM me and I'll fill you in.
Jack of All Trades

Hurry up and respond, because I'm totally available for a good brainstorming session right now :D
Flufflez

Post by Flufflez »

jack, is your plan to write a script for the game? if not, what is your expected role in the project? game scripts are long (much like movie scripts) so don't overwhelm yourself trying to write the whole thing just yet. think about putting together a solid outline and pick out a segment near the beginning that could represent a playable demo. for example, in suikoden a good demo portion would be the early mission to collect taxes from rockland. it would start near the time kraze gives you the assignment and would end after the boss fight with varkas and sydonia (or around there). something of about that length is what we should focus on first imo.
Jack of All Trades

That's what I did last time. I made a plot outline and I scripted the first act and a half.
Trahison

Post by Trahison »

That's great! Really glad to see this maybe getting off the ground again. Good luck guys; I'm in if you need me to help with anything. :D