Discord ?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
MasterGrand

Discord ?

Post by MasterGrand »

Greeting

I wonder if suikosource forums, if have Discord ?
thcrock
Global Admin

Re: Discord ?

Post by thcrock »

We don't have a public discord, but some of us are active on other Suikoden discords like 'Scarlet Moon Empire' and 'Suikoden Tavern'. There isn't a ton of activity on those either at the moment, and I'm not sure if Suikosource opened a discord if it would get much activity either.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Hopefully that will all change once the remasters are released.
MasterGrand

Post by MasterGrand »

thcrock wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:34 pm We don't have a public discord, but some of us are active on other Suikoden discords like 'Scarlet Moon Empire' and 'Suikoden Tavern'. There isn't a ton of activity on those either at the moment, and I'm not sure if Suikosource opened a discord if it would get much activity either.
Will be great if open Discord.... :D
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

In my experience, Discord is the final nail in the coffin of traditional web forums. Basically, Discord offers no real advantage (except that you need only one account to join several communities and the real-time chatting aspect), but will draw activity from this site.

And it's not like there's lots of activity on either platform in such a niche community.
srd_27

Post by srd_27 »

Two public Suikoden discord channels that I know of:
- Scarlet Moon Empire Discord: https://discord.gg/a2rW3Vp34w
- Suikoden Speedrunning Discord: https://discord.gg/yGqCedr

SME doesn't seem to have the link shared publicly at the moment, only knew about this when I saw it being talked over by one of the users of the speedrun discord. Although there's few hundreds people inside, and couple of semi-active people in it.

Suikoden speedrun discord is mainly used by the speedrun community, but anyone can talk freely about regular suikoden discussions on the #general channel if they want to. There's a #stardle channel for sharing stardle results as well.

The Eiyuden official discord server is a very active server. It has a lot of people who've played Suikoden, given that a lot of the fanbase is from Suikoden. The link is on https://eiyudenchronicle.com/

As others have said here, I don't see a point in creating a Suikosource discord and splitting the already-niche community into even more channels.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Antimatzist wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:27 am In my experience, Discord is the final nail in the coffin of traditional web forums. Basically, Discord offers no real advantage (except that you need only one account to join several communities and the real-time chatting aspect), but will draw activity from this site.

And it's not like there's lots of activity on either platform in such a niche community.
I don't know that I would relate discord to forums at all, our at least how our forums have functioned: it's a replacement for IRC chat rooms if anything. Our forums here will always be a better source of information about specific in-game topics than discord could ever be.

People used to also use forums for idle chit-chat, which doesn't happen much anymore, and I'm not sure the suikosource forums ever had a ton of chit-chat. That use has been taken over by discord, for sure.

None of the existing Suikoden discords are very active. The only Suikoden related communities with a ton of activity are Facebook groups and the Suikoden subreddit. And at suikosource we don't generally feel the need to compete with those by creating a discord.

It was brought up that there might be more activity when the remasters come out. And that is true. I expect to see more forum traffic then. One use I could see for a suikosource discord would be for people to communicate with suikosource staff without having to deal with the archaic forum account system. This would be a more targeted thing.

But if you really would like to chat on discord with other suikosource users, the existing discords that srd linked work well. Several of us post our daily Stardle results in the speed running one.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

thcrock wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:29 pm
I don't know that I would relate discord to forums at all, our at least how our forums have functioned: it's a replacement for IRC chat rooms if anything. Our forums here will always be a better source of information about specific in-game topics than discord could ever be.
I'm just talking from my own experience of my Suikoden board, which still had a bit of activity before we launched a discord, and now we basically have 2 dead platforms instead of 1 with low activity. Might also be unrelated to Discord, but I just dislike the outsourcing of communities to third party services. IMO this is what killed fansites a bit 10 years ago when everybody and everything moved to Facebook, which is now a very dysfunctional service with a very specific audience. Instead, I should have focused more on developing my then current community a bit more. A well, you can't look into the future ...