Suikoden HTML Guides and Walkthroughs

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Rooks

Suikoden HTML Guides and Walkthroughs

Post by Rooks »

Hello everyone, with the forthcoming release of SI & SII on modern platforms, I've noticed something, a lack of HTML-based walkthroughs for the games, along the lines of, say, Caves of Narshe, https://www.cavesofnarshe.com/, ZeldaDungeon.net, etc.

Even as I was writing my guide for SV, I knew that frankly the .txt-based walkthrough was on the way out, as smartphones and higher-bandwidth internet became more prevalent. The .txt-based walkthroughs were not going anywhere, and would still be around for those with limited internet access, but, for the majority the rapidly increasing technology would make HTML a much more convenient format for many.

I think it would be an excellent idea for us to get together and create HTML-based walkthroughs. Now the games are by no means the most difficult games, but, I often have to reference a walkthrough when playing them, just so I do not happen to miss a character recruitment window, or remember not to kill Kiba, for example lol. I don't know what form it would take, exactly. Nor do I have any kind of brilliant ideas on its creation or management. I've never run a website before, and am sitting here recovering from surgery. But, I think the idea is solid, as it were. And at least merits more investigation, and to see if anyone else in this community is interested in this type of project.

Let me know.
KingSpilly

Re: Suikoden HTML Guides and Walkthroughs

Post by KingSpilly »

Could we copy and paste the walkthroughs we already have, then just make it so any names link to their character page, all items link to that game's item page, etc? That's basically what Caves of Narshe did.
"I'm a deeply flawed individual, but I bring joy to the world." -Tequila Sunset
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I'm not sure we would have the rights to modify the walkthroughs we have for html and linking. I am thinking of incorporating missable information into the recruitment guides for I and II before release. We especially get complaints about II in this regard. And neither of those two games has a ton of missable characters so it shouldn't be a huge lift.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, as far as me, my SV guide can be released, and I can give full support for the project. SV itself likely has the most miss able characters, and it's not like I ever intended to make any money or fame off of the guide lol.

The other games are problematic, though. My favorite guide for SIII is from Dan Crenshaw, and good luck trying to get a hold of that guy today. I've not tried to contact Rhyxx (actually a very different person, though some on GameFaqs confuse us), nor any other guide-writers for the main series and Tactics. I have talked with Elizabeth Hollinger, but her work on the Official English-Language guides is copyright Prima Games, and can't be used.

Legally speaking, HP values for enemies and many game mechanics and events can be treated as free, or even in the common knowledge sections of relevant local laws. But the actual language used to describe those things can be copyright to the author. No one wants a guide that is pure plagiarism, that's distasteful. So, getting in touch with these authors would be a decent start, at least it will let us know if we need to re-write or if we can lift language from authors with their permission. As re-writing guides from scratch for SI-S Tactics would be quite the undertaking.