Suikoden I & II Coming to Steam, XBOXone, PS4, Switch

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Rooks

Suikoden I & II Coming to Steam, XBOXone, PS4, Switch

Post by Rooks »

Well folks, it is official.

It only took us at the SRM 10 years, 1 month, and 15 days.

Here is the official trailer from Konami on their YouTube:

https://youtu.be/ibpBLv47IaY

Early word it that it will be Japanese and English only at the beginning, as it appears they will be tweaking the translations a bit. But don't quote me on that, it was just announced, so those are only rumors at this point. Let's all hope for Spanish, German, and Italian as well, just like the old days!

I for one hope that they keep in the "A Vampire! in broad daylight! have you no shame!" That would be a real shame if they didn't.

But here it is, the major victory we've all been working so hard all these years for.

Seems there will be smoothed character portraits, sprites, different water effects, and a host of other graphical changes. Most importantly, these versions appear to be ground-up rebuilds, rather than being mere ports of the PSP Suikoden I & II collection. It does not seem that there will be any real changes to the soundtrack, at least from the trailer.

Cheers, everyone. Let me know what you think.
Rooks

Re: Suikoden I & II Coming to Steam, XBOXone, PS4, Switch

Post by Rooks »

Seems to be some changes to the sound effects. Which is to be expected, as the sound chips back in the PS1 era were totally different beasts than what he all have now. So, I imagine that the sound effects did have to be redone from scratch, my friends. I assume there will be other basic changes, too. But, overall from the trailer, it looks quite faithful to the originals.
Destinys_Warrior

Post by Destinys_Warrior »

I got goosebumps watching that trailer.

I’m all here for Tir being able to run at last.
Takehaniyasubiko

Post by Takehaniyasubiko »

It's great that series comes back, BUT I most probably won't play these.

The new 2D graphics look very generic, almost like something from RPG Maker. It's obvious to me that whoever is doing this remaster lacks the original vision.

BTW, this insanely lit camp from Suiko2 totally destroys the atmosphere for me.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I hope they'll offer the option to toggle between old and new Kawano artwork for Suikoden, I love the original one.

But yeah, incredible, unexpected, insane. Finally.
Rooks wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:41 amEarly word it that it will be Japanese and English only at the beginning, as it appears they will be tweaking the translations a bit. But don't quote me on that, it was just announced, so those are only rumors at this point. Let's all hope for Spanish, German, and Italian as well, just like the old days!
The Steam page lists several languages which should be included from the beginning, I assume. i don't think they'll just add them later.

It's great that they took another take on both game scripts and did a new localization. It cannot get worse, so let's see if it actually is good now.

Also, but this is just a feeling: the recent remaster collections (Contra, Castlevania, TMNT) have all been published physically by Limited Run Games. i think it is fair to assume that we'll also get a limited physical release of this game.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

No one is saying that original discs on original hardware are not the best way to play. I think they are.

But, in 30 years, when my PS2 and its memory cards fail, and I cannot find replacements to hook up to freaking HDMI 18,000.4, or whatever it will be. I can still play on Steam. This is why we fought so hard for a multi-platform, digital distribution release. Well, that, and my original copies were stolen from me out of a storage unit while I was away overseas. lol.

Anyway, think of the possibilities. We can truly gain a whole new generation of fans, who love the music, characters, and storytelling, just like we do. And we can do it on the cheap. They will be accessible, at reasonable prices.

There will be flaws for certain. I don't know exactly what they will be until I play it. The only way to know is to try, my friend.
koeneloen

Post by koeneloen »

These are the new features listed on the steam page, I think I will be using the battle fast forward a lot.

Features of Suikoden I & Suikoden II HD
・All background illustrations have been upgraded to HD
・Updated effects breathe new life into the pixel art animation
・New environmental sounds effects to immerse yourself in this fantasy world
・Battle SFX are also now HD and add a new level of realism
・Newly added auto-save
・Battle Fast Forward
・Conversation Log
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

I hate Konami, but I hope this HD remaster blows up and gathers new fans to play and want future Suikoden titles. I will be getting this
koeneloen

Post by koeneloen »

Hopefully they will add the Saturn extras like Eikei's battle arena for Suikoden 1 and that they will add the new game plus or at least the sindar dungeon/ruins that are hidden in Sajah village.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Why is there no releases for next gen consoles?
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

I was tearing up hearing this announcement.
A sample of the gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyyjeaDBgl4&t=6s

I don't know how definitive everything is in this video, but a couple of things I noticed:

They renamed some things: Star Dragon Sword is now Celestial Sword.
"Drops/Rain of Kindness" (probably for consistency with S1)
Charm Arrow is now "Exorcism" (You'd think they'd change Resurrection to Exorcism since it apparently was the translation issue as stated in these forums)

The interface I'm not a fan of (feels RPG Maker-y, as another user has stated). The runes are abbreviated which looks weird. The sound effects takes some getting used to, as they don't feel as nostalgic. Spell animations overall was improved, but again doesn't feel nostalgic. The background illustrations do look much better.

Definitely a step in the right direction. Congratulations to all of us esp. SRM!
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
srd_27

Post by srd_27 »

they still wrongly put Explosion animation for Dancing Flames spell :P
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

I like the changes seen in the trailer. Tir is able to run, Riou can run diagonally, Kirkis got a male look. You can even see Milich’s flamboyant mansion from world map view.

Now, both the Suikoden HD remasters and Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred (plus like eight-ish) Heroes will do exceedingly well. A cooperation is planned to produce Suikoden 6. Miki Higashino is brought back from retirement to compose its soundtrack... (don’t wake me up, guys!)
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Neclord X

Post by Neclord X »

If it gets a physical release I'd totally adquire it.

IT seems 2023 will be finally a good year...,unless, you know, aliens invade or something, at this point anything is possible.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Runemaster wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:57 am I was tearing up hearing this announcement.
A sample of the gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyyjeaDBgl4&t=6s

I don't know how definitive everything is in this video, but a couple of things I noticed:

They renamed some things: Star Dragon Sword is now Celestial Sword.
"Drops/Rain of Kindness" (probably for consistency with S1)
Charm Arrow is now "Exorcism" (You'd think they'd change Resurrection to Exorcism since it apparently was the translation issue as stated in these forums)

The interface I'm not a fan of (feels RPG Maker-y, as another user has stated). The runes are abbreviated which looks weird. The sound effects takes some getting used to, as they don't feel as nostalgic. Spell animations overall was improved, but again doesn't feel nostalgic. The background illustrations do look much better.

Definitely a step in the right direction. Congratulations to all of us esp. SRM!
The abbreviations are the last 3 letters being cut off. Likely a bug in the localization. The game has code that swaps "Orb/Crystal" with "Rune".

Agree on battle interface, it looks bad. Lots of abbreviations on descriptions, not leveraging the space that they have... Again, this is a development build, but doesn't give me much confidence at all.

The overall graphics do look sweet, though.