Suikoden Stardle

Point out errors and hear of new features at http://www.suikosource.com
thcrock
Global Admin

Suikoden Stardle

Post by thcrock »

Ask questions, leave comments, report bugs, etc for the new Stardle daily game here.
JuveLeo

Re: Suikoden Stardle

Post by JuveLeo »

First try for me! Lol. Are we all posting our results in here as well?

I'm pumped to play this on a daily lol. Thanks guys

Edit: Results

Suikoden Stardle #2: 1/7
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Last edited by JuveLeo on Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Yeah there are no spoilers in the copy+paste able results, so that's fine.

If somehow this thread blows up in popularity and it makes it hard to find questions/bug reports, we would split into different threads but I doubt that will happen.

I'll post mine later today when I play

Edit:
Suikoden Stardle #2: 1/7
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I did find this one was easy. Let's just say I know the characters for some games better than other games
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Same. I think I'll be solid when it comes to Suikoden 1 and 2 Characters, seeing as I've beaten those games roughly 20 times each. Characters from 3-5 will be a lot more difficult for me.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Don't think the stats are tracking correctly, it treats mine like every day is the first day
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Happening to me as well.

Failed miserably today btw :lol:
Destinys_Warrior

Post by Destinys_Warrior »

Great addition to the site for us daily lurkers.

2/2 thus far. I’m fresh from another series run through.
Julian

Post by Julian »

I think this would be better without a silhouette.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I was wondering that. A similar game I play (for nba players) has just the clues by default and an optional button to show the silhouette.

It would be nice to have a better clue or two in order to accomplish this, or at least increase the number of clues. Any further clues might need some more engineering work though; this was the low hanging fruit in our character database.

Any ideas for other clues? I was thinking unite attacks: green if the guess is in a unite attack with the target, yellow if they are in a unite attack with somebody who is in a unite attack with the target.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Was hoping to come back and edit my words, but already got a response so some more in depth thoughts:

Right now, this feels like a "Who's that Pokemon?" that... has some wordle-like concepts if someone actually doesn't get it first try. You either know it first try (most people will know it first try), or you don't, and it really overshadows the interesting wordle-like ideas and the potential strategy behind that.

The interesting concepts behind worlde (imo) are the strategic components. Everyone has a different "starting word" and there are various strategies.

I don't know if the clues are enough for people to guess in a reasonable number of attempts, but I think that would be much more interesting than this.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:44 am Don't think the stats are tracking correctly, it treats mine like every day is the first day
This should be fixed now.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Julian wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:26 pm Was hoping to come back and edit my words, but already got a response so some more in depth thoughts:

Right now, this feels like a "Who's that Pokemon?" that... has some wordle-like concepts if someone actually doesn't get it first try. You either know it first try (most people will know it first try), or you don't, and it really overshadows the interesting wordle-like ideas and the potential strategy behind that.

The interesting concepts behind worlde (imo) are the strategic components. Everyone has a different "starting word" and there are various strategies.

I don't know if the clues are enough for people to guess in a reasonable number of attempts, but I think that would be much more interesting than this.
I agree with a lot of this. The clues here are probably not enough for most people to infer the person on their own, unless the number of guesses is upped to like 15. A lot of them are either very broad (like which games), or very narrow (like which star). A good set of clues will have some inbetween clues to narrow down the space more. Some of them, like the place of origin, will sometimes do that. But not reliably (there are a lot of charactres from 'Unknown'). Weapon type

However, I've been thinking of some other clues, which we could pretty reasonably do with information we already have on Suikosource:
- The unite thing I mentioned before; For instance, if Shiro was the mystery character, and you guessed Kinnison, the unite name would show up as green because they are in the unite together. If you guessed Ayda, it would show up yellow since she is in a unite with Kinnison.
- First letter of the name. I don't want to put in full wordle-like functionality, but basically using Shiro again, if you guess a character who starts with S, it would be green, but with R or T it would be yellow
- Whether or not the character joins automatically. I don't usually think of boolean clues as narrowing down the search space much, but I feel like this one would help a little bit because it's so orthogonal to all the other clues.

I think these three would make it a more interesting logic puzzle, and may make eight guesses doable without a silhouette (or making the silhouette optional for people who want easy mode)
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

The silhouette is now optional. Also the birth year clue indicates direction, so that should help with the logic puzzling a bit.

I do intend to implement those three clues in the last post, but the version of the name clue that I think makes more sense now is a direction arrow indicating where that character's name in the alphabet is in relation to the guessed character's name.

I am also thinking of 'recruit number' from the guides as a clue http://www.suikosource.com/games/sod.php?pf=S1 - directionality of this clue could help you disambiguate between early/mid/late game recruits.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

I like the new additions to the game. No silhouette makes the game challenging, which is better in my opinion.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

A couple more clue improvements are live!

I am thinking of how to work through adding 'recruit number' and 'automatic recruit' as clues given that characters can be in multiple games. Somebody could be a late game recruit in one game, and early game recruit in another. Similarly, they could be an automatic recruit in one game but not in the other.

When it comes to simply displaying the guesses, that's fine; recruit numbers could be separated by commas, and the automatic recruit values for each game could be displayed. But how to display proximity and directionality as a clue?

Imagine the mystery character is in two games, and is recruit 10 in one game, and recruit 80 in the second game.
The guessed character is in two games and is recruit 40 in one game and recruit 95 in the second game.

Showing proximity and especially directionality between these is tough. They are edge cases, but I do have to handle them in some way.