Trying to Decipher Army Battle Damage [UPDATE 3-28-22]

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Trying to Decipher Army Battle Damage [UPDATE 3-28-22]

Post by Pyriel »

Fun, I guess. I figured he'd ask if he wanted someone to go disassemble it and find out it's just xy(rand() % (troops-(troops > 10000 ? 10000 : 1000))) or something without much need for experiment or investigation, but I see he did PM like 2 years ago and I forgot about it (sorry).
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I have no way to check the code. Don't know how. But if someone could, just to get the actual range boundaries, that would be awesome.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Took a quick look at it while waiting for lunch to be ready. The code is copy-pasted into every war module by the look of things. Hopefully, it's just a copy-paste and there aren't significant differences. The only one that's leapt out at me so far is that it looks like Teo 1 has half the routines stripped, which kind of makes sense, since you can't actually hurt his cavalry.

They hard-coded routines for your damage and troops as well as the enemy's, rather than generalizing, which I find a bit weird. And there are calls out to rand(), so that might explain the variability.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

In some circumstances, the computer uses your unit's attack power instead of its own to calculate damage. That might be why it's not standardized. It happens in Bow vs. Charge. I think it happens with Teo, as well.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

This post can be locked since the answer has been found.