PSN for PS3 and PSP shutting down

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
Rooks

PSN for PS3 and PSP shutting down

Post by Rooks »

So, the day that I predicted has finally come.

On 2 July 2021, all new purchases on the PSN for PS3s and PSPs will stop. On 27 Aug 2021, all new purchases on the PS Vita, and I assume the PS TV, which uses the same store, will stop.

From Sony:
https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/suppo ... nt-notice/

From IGN:
https://www.ign.com/articles/playstatio ... 3-vita-psp

Now, Sony is saying, at this time, that users who have purchased games will still be able to download them at-will. So, if you have not purchased Suikoden I through Suikoden IV on the PSN, I suggest that you run, not walk, to purchase them now, as soon as you can.

We at the Suikoden Revival Movement shed blood, sweat, and tears to see these games released on the PSN. We worked so hard, and so long. I was personally insulted by Konami employees on multiple occasions, yet, we kept working at it, and we won. It was practically a miracle, to be honest.

However, that time is coming to an end, unfortunately. At least for the foreseeable future. Hence why I began my PS3 Preservation Project in 2019:
http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 25&t=14632

Now, Sony does say that you will be able to download your previously purchased games. This is good. However, we do not know if this means that you will be able to do so forever in the future. Certainly, there will be a grace period. But, it is anyone's guess as to how long that could possibly be; it could be many months, it could be many years. We simply do not know at this time how long Sony's servers will allow you to download, or, verify and support the hardware of the PS3. Frankly, I think that the PS3 is an era that the current-day Sony wishes to forget entirely, as such, I would not bet on a download service that lasts forever.

Much the same with the Wii Virtual Console, there will likely come a day when you will be unable to redownload your games. As such, take steps now to ensure your Suikoden collection, please.
Antimatzist

Re: PSN for PS3 and PSP shutting down

Post by Antimatzist »

Everybody should simply load CFW on their Vita and emulate the games. I still hope Sony'll wake up with the PS5 and bring their classics to the platform (or even better, Konami should just release a collection with all the games)
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Do you have a good, easy-explanation article or video to share with us on how to do that?

I am pressed for time right now, and have little ability to look it up myself, sorry.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Rooks wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:06 pm Do you have a good, easy-explanation article or video to share with us on how to do that?

I am pressed for time right now, and have little ability to look it up myself, sorry.
Since it is (in principle) illegal, I'd rather not. Just google henkaku and h-encore, it is really well documented.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Antimatzist wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:44 pm
Rooks wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:06 pm Do you have a good, easy-explanation article or video to share with us on how to do that?

Since it is (in principle) illegal, I'd rather not. Just google henkaku and h-encore, it is really well documented.
This. Not hard to install either. There are instructional videos on youtube as well, in case you have some trouble. Literally makes the Vita 10x more amazing
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

OK, I will check them out.

Any easy solutions for the price gouging on Vita's proprietary memory cards? lol
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Rooks wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:48 pm OK, I will check them out.

Any easy solutions for the price gouging on Vita's proprietary memory cards? lol
Unfortunately, i don't think so. There might be something out there, but it's nothing I've ever researched on before. I got two 32gb and it's been decent so far. Extremely expensive though.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Rooks wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:48 pm OK, I will check them out.

Yes, put CFW on your Vita and use SD2Vita. I think you'll need to buy a cheap adapter, but then you can simply use any microSD card.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Good. 128GB Micro SD cards are cheap nowadays.

Speaking to the wider subject: I know it seems like I am totally against piracy, but, at the same time, when I co-create an international movement in order to legally and legitimately purchase these games, and we succeed. Only to have that movement betrayed in the end, I am not against piracy at this time, frankly.

I mean look, I bought SII when it was new. Then, had it stolen from me out of a storage unit when I traveled abroad. Started an international movement to get it legally released again. Bought it the day of release on that legal platform, then, again, bought another physical copy on the used market legally later. I have legally purchased the game three separate times, and still, legally own a copy out there somewhere, even though I don't have it.

I think that is enough. Same story with all of the mainline Suikoden games. They were all stolen out of my storage unit when I was abroad, including Tactics, but, excepting Tierkrieis. So, I've purchased at least two copies of every game, three of SI, SII, SIII, SIV, and two of Tactics and SV.

I think I have reimbursed Konami well, especially since SIII is the 94th best selling game on the PSN for PS3, that includes PS2 and PS3 games, but not PS1 titles. SII was one of the best-selling PS1 classics, as well. So, at this point, I am willing to just throw up my arms, and tell people to pirate away all they want.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I've downloaded Suikoden 4 as a backup in case my PS2 dies or the disk gets damaged or something. I've also downloaded Final Fantasy 2-5, FF tactics and Tactics Ogre for PSP.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Welp, about three hours ago, Sony announced that the PSN for PS3 and Vita will not be closing their shops.

However, PSP will go offline as planned. I repeat, PSP store will no longer be available after 2 July 2021.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/04/19 ... perations/
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Excellent gambit to juice PSN sales for a little while
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

well if there is another lockdown, I'll be well stocked.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

It's really a win for everybody. It spurred me to login to PSN and actually buy the rest of the suikoden re-release in case my discs break.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Yeah, I bought:

Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Trigger, La Pucelle Tactics, Demon's Souls, and Dark Souls II.

I already had Demon Souls and Dark Souls II, but, they are in Sealed Boxes, brand new. So, I decided I would keep them as collector's items. I mean, have you seen what a sealed copy of Paper Mario goes for these days? It was $650 USD at a trade show nearby me.

And I also got a Samsung 860 EVO 2.5inch SSD for my PS3, and it works fantastic. I talk about it in my PS3 Preservation Project Thread.
http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... 25&t=14632