Bug Fixes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Bug Fixes

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, that's long since fixed in the latest patch. Just download it from the Git repository.
faospark

Post by faospark »

Not really a bug fix request. but is there a way that we can make Tessai be recruitable as earlier like before liberation of greenhill. I has always bothered me all these years that the Smithsman In Kuskus has helped me more in the journey than Tessai.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Doesn't Tessai start off hanging around in Greenhill until it's liberated, and then he shifts to Kuskus?

It might not be impossible. The main issue I see is that the scripts will be in multiple files, and it could be a trick to make it not seem sequence-breaking, given that we can't really add flags or anything.
psychedelist

Post by psychedelist »

I did it in my project. I even believe they intended to make him recruitable early since there is a check for castle level 2 as a condition for his appearance, and you get the first hammer in Forest Village. But someone added that stupid story flag check that relates to the late Greenhill events. So i removed it, modified the script only in one file, haven't run into issues. I don't remember seeing him in Greenhill, but even if he's there, it's a small nuisance compared to having to run to Kuskus all the time and the hammer progression being meaningless.

Edit: first hammer is in Forest Village, second one is in Gregminster, both are way before you can recruit him.
Last edited by psychedelist on Sat May 02, 2020 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, I think you can actually get two of the hammers before you have the opportunity to recruit him. Although, the second one might only come before if you're doing an optimal route for it. I don't fully remember offhand. Anyway, it's always seemed reasonable that he was bumped to later than originally intended.

I'll have to look through an LP or something. I know there's a student who mentions him in Greenhill, and I could swear he pops up there at some point early on. It might only be if you visit the first time you go to Muse with Jowy or something like that. I'm not above doing it, if only as a cheat. However, if it has to add sequence-breaking, my inclination is to just supply a code that allows it. That would be kind of doofy, though, since you could just poke the recruit flags with existing codes when you feel like having him.
faospark

Post by faospark »

A code would be good. While doing the Matilda Glitch Early as pre- Mercenary fort Attack and post Mercenary fort attack. It's Jude that Hangs around Greenhil and Not Tessai. Actually Tessai does not hang around greenhill at all rather his student who holds the hammer starts referencing him When Jude is not around. probably the developers were somewhat confused with Jude and Tessai because both are wearing a blue outfit. clearly the classroom is about forging weapons and not sculpting.

Also the way we recruit Tessai Requires Viktor and Zodiac Sword. i feel like he was intended to be recruited on castle level 2 post liberation of north Window castle.
While in contrast to Jude, it makes sense that you recruit him later on because in the guardian deity banter when you first make one Chaco, Ridley, Teresa, Viki are present there. Tessai is not though.
faospark

Post by faospark »

addendum info:
the earliest hammer to be acquired Iron Hammer found on the forest village after initially rescuing Teresa.
the sad part is by the time you are about to go to matilda the blacksmith on kuskus can level up your weapons up to 11 rendering iron hammer to be rather obsolete
same goes for the copper hammer when you reach gregminster.
Sketcz

Post by Sketcz »

EDIT:

Never mind. Turned out the problem was this:

I would type the name of the new image and it's location in the bottom bar, rather than clicking on the browse button. Once I used the browse button it worked. Kinda weird, but I shall be testing the newly created file shortly.

I registered just to ask this, but...

I am trying to use the Suikoden 2 patcher on the NTSC-U (American) version and it's not working. I'm using a verified dump of the game, in BIN format, and it refuses to patch. I select the patches I want included (all of them), click patch, and then it just hangs forever saying "Verifying Disc". It never moves beyond this, the bar never fills.

Any idea what's wrong?

Also, there's a weird bug with the patcher I found. My folder which I put it and the game in was called "Suikoden II (USA)" and it kept crashing on start up. For reasons I can't even comprehend the existence of brackets () in the file of the folder causes it to crash on start up. Removing the brackets fixed this.

So... How do I get it to move beyond verifying the disc??

Many thanks for your time.

EDIT:

Also, why is there no ReadMe with the patch giving instruction or a FAQ? Because I'm having to fumble my way through without instructions. :(
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

What did you download?

The latest version of the patch, for ages, has been here: https://github.com/pyriell/gs2-bugfixes. If you downloaded it off this website, sorry about that. I lost my access to update it ages ago, and just never got around to requesting the security details again. The archive stored here is about 5-10 version behind at this point.

I deliberately made the text boxes for the file paths read-only because the Lua library required for handling PS1 CDs comes with a dodgy file access library that always hangs when you try to access a path that doesn't exist. One character off, and even trying to hit the file just to see if it's actually there causes the process to hang. There's nothing I can do about it unless I want to rewrite the entire low-level library for handling disc images.
densagara

Post by densagara »

I saw this forum while I was trying to figure out how to fix my suikoden 2 game. It keeps crashing while I'm at Gregminster. I saw the notes mention this was fixed in the German version, but I'm playing the US version. And that bug seems to involve you trying to pick between the two women. I think my game's already past that part so this might be a different bug.

As soon as I get both Valeria/Kasumi and Sheena, and they try to get into my party, the game instantly crashes. It's possible that this is because I put Sheena in convoy, rather than the actual party. I don't know how to fix this, and I have no saves before getting Sheena into my party the first time.

Hopefully this bug can be fixed. I'm not ready to replay the entire game just to get past this part just yet.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I want to say I vaguely recall hearing something like that, but I've heard so many tales, both apocryphal and very real, that I'm probably jumbling up several bug complaints.
faospark

Post by faospark »

just discovered this because im doing some retexturing on the game... in the after battle menu when stats are being flashed MDF is not actually flashed instead also MAG eventhough the game has a texture for MDF.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Dunno if anyone is interested in a "Get rid of this damn flint from my key items" bug fix. Haven't looked to see if I can find this code in the PSX version, but here is the responsible code from the PSP version:

The comment is actually wrong - 26 is rope. This code is called by the 0x1E command for the removal of both the rope (a0 and a1 are different #'s), and for the oily rag. (a0 and a1 are equal)

Here's the assembly I edited to fix it:

Code: Select all

.org 0x08928D3C			; toss oliy rag AND flint -- code also used for rope (a0!=a1)

bnel a0, a1, first_branch ; if not equal, follow delay slot & do the 1 item only
li s2, 0x26 ; s2 = 26 (rope)
li s2, 0x27 ; s2 = 27 (flint) / 25 (oily rag)
first_branch:
li s3, 0 ; init incrementer to 0
addu v1, s1, s3 ; v1 = 0x08A50C80 still need to add 0x10000 to get right addr
start_loop:
lui v0, 0x1 ; v0 = 0x10000
addu v0, v1, v0 ; v0 = 0x08A60C80
lbu v0, -0x1e06(v0) ; v0 = item id of item in key item list
bnel v0, s2, end_loop ; if not equal, delay slot and go to end of loop
addiu s3, s3, 0x1 ; increment counter
; matched, so we remove KI
li a0, 0x1 ; set up params for remove KI
li a1, 0xc
li a2, 0x0
jal 0x09ee74b0 ; call remove KI
move a3, s3 ; a3 = inventory slot (equal to counter)
addiu s3, s3, 0x1 ; increment s3
addi s2, -0x2 ; decrement s2 by 2
; 27 now looks for 25 (flint)
; 26 looks for 24 (regular rag we already lost)
; 25 looks for 23 (?)
end_loop:
slti v0, s3, 0xA ; while counter < 10 (loop 10x - or is it actually 9x?)
bnel v0, zero, start_loop ; go back to start of loop
Removed one line of superfluous code (anding the v0 key item id into s2 - just load them directly into s2), which I replaced with a decrement s2 by 0x2 when the item matches and gets removed. The key item inventory is sorted in descending order, so 27 is first - flint gets removed, it then searches for 25 - oily rag, and removes both. After finding the rope (since this is shared code), it looks for the regular rag, which it can't find as it was already lost. After finding the oily rag... I dunno what key item 23 is, but it's not in your inventory at this point in the game.

Not the best but it gets the job done in the allotted space. Flint gets removed at the same time as the oily rag, when Jowy uses them during the escape. I'll see if I can find the corresponding code in the PSX version later this week/weekend.

edit: It looks like the code block ate up the spacing. :< Also, someone working on the PSP version? What!?
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

I have always wondered if that was ever a bug or something.

Btw, have you taken a look at the Flour? I remember looking at the dialogue text dump and found that it did hint at collecting more than 1 bag of flour (Normally you can't and they'll just put out a generic option for you). Not sure if it was ever intended or just they double mistranslated it from the number of flint/boots options.

80110ff4 031: "Huh? Flour?{eol}How many bags do you want?"
80111020 032: "1 bag is fine."
80111034 033: "2 bags please."
80111048 034: "3 bags...please..."

80113820 024: You got 1 bag of flour
80113838 025: You got 2 bags of flour
80113850 026: You got 3 bags of flour

Also, Mercenary Fortress is a bit weird. At the top out of bound area there are some objects like Lava texture (for the fire at the furnace), Crates, oil spill, rope, doors, etc. (non-interactive); Just a guess but it's probably an early technique where they load object out of bound only for it to zip back in (Only a few areas I know that has this. It seems like an abandoned idea). There's also a sprite sheet that shows a lump of coal/flint that grows bigger and bigger (never seen it used).
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I never really paid attention to the key items enough for it to really register that the Flint was stuck. Now you mention it, that does seem like a bug.

Looks like the code is in VB11.BIN. There's actually an explicit case block to deal with one kind of Flint. And it looks like some abortive code for the second item ID? Not sure on that one. I'll have to check to see which ID is actually being used when the Flint is in your key items. The code for Flint (0x27) seems to be looking in the item bag rather than in the key items for a match. I don't have a save handy at the minute to check, but I don't think it ever shows up in your main inventory for any reason, so that's probably the issue. Either they changed the inventory it went to at some point, or just never thought much of it.

Edit: Oh, and 0x23 should be the Suiko Map that Templeton gives you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pyriel on Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.