Do you read your star signs?

A forum for non-Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Do you read your star signs?

Post by sticky-runes »

I don't, I'm just wondering if anyone around here does pay attention to their zodiac signs and if they believe in it.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Do you read your star signs?

Post by patapi »

Only if they're based on the 108 Stars of Destiny.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I don't like it because it's putting people into categories. Hate it when I start chatting to someone, and they suddenly ask when my birthday is, and I tell them and they're like "oh, so you're an Aquarius..." and they start analyzing what sort of person I am, based on a picture of a jug and one of the four elements. It puts me off wanting to talk with them further, because it feels like there's not much point. They've already decided who and what I am because of what they've been reading about star signs, and anything I say about myself is going to be "he likes this stuff because he's an Aquarius. He feels that way because he's a wind sign. He doesn't like that because Aquarians don't like those sorts of things, they prefer these sorts of things because they are reepresented by wind and only fire and earth signs appreciate that kind of stuff." Talk to me as a person, not as a f#cking animal or symbol from outer space.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

That was fiery! :lol:
Just tell them a wrong zodiac sign and enjoy the show. Same for the Myers-Briggs personality types.
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I'll have to try that. Just pick a fake birthday and see what they come up with.

I find it especially funny how people criticize me for being single because I'm too picky, then they'll go on to tell me what sort of person I should be with based on my star sign and personality type. Like WTF? You're such a lovely guy, You could have anyone you want. But you should only go for this type of person, that type of person, and possibly that type of person. thanks for giving me such a broad range, and then narrowing it down like a game of cluedo.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Yeah, I agree.

On occasion, I do read my zodiac, but, really it is just for entertainment value and a laugh, not as any type of serious introspection lol.

So, one thing to do, is actually tell people your were born in Nome, Alaska. As that region is at such a high latitude, that people born there are actually not governed by a "guiding constellation" because all of the major constellations are beneath the horizon lol. Same thing with the South Island of New Zealand, and some places in Chile and Argentina lol.

In any event, the Zodiac was created originally just as a simple means to tell time and create calendars. It was not until much later that people started using the Zodiacs for things like soothsaying and fortune-telling.

Still star signs can be fun in the same way that Professional Wrestling can be fun. You know it is nonsense, but it can be entertaining at times lol.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I mean I love mythology and I love the stories behind the creation of some of the star signs, and sure, Astrology is a fascinating subject, but some people seem to take it a bit too seriously. They're like star Wars fans who believe there is actually a Force. No, it's really just a bunch of pretty stories, and if you feel inspired by it, that's one thing, but don't actually believe in it to the point that you allow it to govern things such as your future relationships and career choices.

And we're now living in a time when everybody is worrying more and more about anxiety and depression issues. I reckon a lot of these issues would probably be resolved if certain people would grow up and think of themselves as regular people and not as feisty celestial scorpions. It's ok to accept boring reality!
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

I think so too.

I mean, I think that a lot of depression and anxiety come from simply bad brain chemistry, beyond our control, but also, that people can needlessly burden themselves at times with silly things. I know people that take the star signs and the zodiac seriously, and while they remain my friends and are wonderful people, it does cause them unnecessary stress.

Same with "The Force" or even the Runes from Suikoden. They are just metaphors, and while they are good metaphors, they are designed innately to communicate ideas to the audience, rather than represent reality. And these ideas can be very good, and very inspiring to people, but, the problem comes when we confuse that inspiration with actual, real fact.

Works of fiction can contain an immense amount of truth. But, truth=/=fact, and fiction=/=lies. We separated those concepts into their own groups for a reason lol.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Rooks wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:55 pm
I mean, I think that a lot of depression and anxiety come from simply bad brain chemistry, beyond our control, but also, that people can needlessly burden themselves at times with silly things. I know people that take the star signs and the zodiac seriously, and while they remain my friends and are wonderful people, it does cause them unnecessary stress.
There's an acquaintence of mine who recently got some sort of psychology degree and he wants to help people with mental health issues, and he is a lovely guy, but recently on facebook he posted something about star signs that make the best romantic partner, and from the comments he and his other friends were making, he takes it all very seriously, and I think, you want to help people with real life emotional struggles, and you're following a bunch of fairy tale rules about what sort of woman would be your ideal life companion... :?

I've had therapy before and it helped me a lot, but if my health care practitioner suddenly started saying to me "your mood is low right now because the moons of Jupiter are currently aligned so that they are blocking the positive energies from Saturn" or some kooky sh!t like that, I would have exploded.

There are certain messages and morals you can take from reading myths. For example, a lot of characters in Greek mythology were known for boasting about their skills or their beauty or their wealth or sexual prowess or whatever, and eventually they ended up pissing off some god or goddess who either transformed them into a beast, sent a monster to kill them, inflicted a horrible punishment on their family, or just shot them outright and had them doomed to eternal torture. Some people might look at those stories from a religious perspective and say "the message is, don't piss off the gods" but to me, the moral of those stories is, no matter how talented and sexy and powerful you are, those things can be taken from you at any moment without warning, so don't be cunt, and just appreciate what you have got instead of boasting about it and taking it for granted.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

So just today I ran across this article:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/my-p ... ket-newtab

And yeah, that reminded me of this conversation. Apparently this woman's psychic told her to date psychopath who stole her jewelry, lied to her, cheated, and then later stalked her.

But at the end, this woman admits that she just saw the "psychic" because she just wanted someone else to make decisions for her, because having someone else make decisions for you is easier than making them yourself, or so she thought. But in the end it led to disaster. And she ended up in a much more difficult state than if she had been making decisions on her own.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Rooks wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:48 pm So just today I ran across this article:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/my-p ... ket-newtab

And yeah, that reminded me of this conversation. Apparently this woman's psychic told her to date psychopath who stole her jewelry, lied to her, cheated, and then later stalked her.

But at the end, this woman admits that she just saw the "psychic" because she just wanted someone else to make decisions for her, because having someone else make decisions for you is easier than making them yourself, or so she thought. But in the end it led to disaster. And she ended up in a much more difficult state than if she had been making decisions on her own.
The part where the psychic says "If you suspect he is stealing from you, leave him money so he doesn't have to" was the scariest part of that story. That's like telling someone to "leave the front door unlocked so that a burglar doesn't have to break into your home". So instead of advising her to break up with the boyfriend or go to the police, she chose to protect her "predictions" so she didn't have to fork out a refund and ruin her business. And there are people who are vulnerable, lonely and gullible who go to these kind of people for guidance.

Well, the guy did carry on stalking her, so maybe that's why the psychic thought he would be "the one". She could see that he wouldn't leave her alone. We don't actually know what the future is going to bring, and even if we have some idea of whats going to happen, we can't know how it will play out. Better to go with your gut than listen to hocus-pocus.