How Lazlo obtained those 2 big swords?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

How Lazlo obtained those 2 big swords?

Post by Sasarai10 »

I mean, he was exiled wasn't he? So they were supposed to give him just a pocket knife in order to survive or something like that. 2 big swords seems like, they treated him very well for someone who was supposed to kill his own Commander. Unless he stole them from somewhere. :|

I know gameplay-wise they did it so you can perform the Rush ability later...but plot-wise...well it just doesn't stick well. :|
sticky-runes

Re: How Lazlo obtained those 2 big swords?

Post by sticky-runes »

The beginning of Tactics shows that Lazlo was developing his own duel fighting style from an early age. Maybe he bought the swords himself during his training days.

And where does it say they were supposed to give him a pocket knife or something? He was probably allowed to keep all of his personal possessions when he was exiled. The biggest disgrace for a knight would be getting expelled form the order and no longer being acknowledged as a knight of the realm. That's what they did to him - set him adrift far away from Razril so he could no longer serve his nation.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

They are actually not that big, they are something like short short swords (try to say that loud for three times!) or large knives.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:The beginning of Tactics shows that Lazlo was developing his own duel fighting style from an early age. Maybe he bought the swords himself during his training days.

And where does it say they were supposed to give him a pocket knife or something? He was probably allowed to keep all of his personal possessions when he was exiled. The biggest disgrace for a knight would be getting expelled form the order and no longer being acknowledged as a knight of the realm. That's what they did to him - set him adrift far away from Razril so he could no longer serve his nation.
Then i guess his punishment was pretty mild. Katarina told him, he should be glad they didn't have him beheaded. (Of course such thing couldn't occur, otherwise SIV would stop after Glen's death).

I didn't remember about Tactics. It's been 3 years since i have to play this game. Well tbh it's the only Suikoden i didn't like. Maybe i will give it a chance after i finish S4.... :|
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

You only need to play the prologue for that scene. I really guess they might be just his personal belongings.At least it makes more sense than in Suikoden II where the heroes use their personal weapons from the very beginning instead of their army weapons.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Antimatzist wrote:You only need to play the prologue for that scene. I really guess they might be just his personal belongings.At least it makes more sense than in Suikoden II where the heroes use their personal weapons from the very beginning instead of their army weapons.
Indeed. When Jowy and Riou were still member of the Highland youth, they should use 1H swords like others. Just like Lazlo did during his knight days.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai, you should definitely give Tactics another shot. It takes some getting used to if you haven't played other games with that sort of style combat, but once you get the hang of the controls it becomes very addictive. And while the story isn't great, it does tie up a few loose ends from Suikoden 4, and a lot of the characters get fleshed out more with dialogue that you see in battles and campfire scenes.
Antimatzist wrote:You only need to play the prologue for that scene. I really guess they might be just his personal belongings.At least it makes more sense than in Suikoden II where the heroes use their personal weapons from the very beginning instead of their army weapons.
what makes less sense is the prince's choice of weapon in Suikoden 5. Why does he have a tri-bo when all the queen's knights use bladed weapons? Maybe Arshtat didn't want him use a blade as she felt that the prince shouldn't draw blood in combat or something, but who taught him to fight with that weapon? It's not like we ever meet any of his instructors (In Suikoden 1, Tir had Kai as an instructor) and yet Roy, who has had an entirely different upbringing to the prince, is able to use the same kind of weapon almost as well as him.

Gong back to Lazlo's fighting style, in the game's intro we see all the trainees together practicing the same move. so I guess it's compulsory for all knights to master that sword technique during the early stages of their career. Katarina is the only knight we see using a staff, so perhaps she used to use a sword during her training days, then eventually swapped it for a traditional mage's weapon.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ferid taught the Prince in V to fight with his Nunchuk. You don't need to fight with the weapon yourself to be a master with it, maybe Ferid was more comfortable with a sword. Actually, do we ever see him wielding a weapon?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yes Ferid uses his sword to fight the assassins during the scene where he and Arshtat are both killed.

I just think it odd that Roy, the guy who gets employed as the prince's doppelganger, also happens to be skilled with the same weapon, although Roy's fighting style isn't quite as refined as the prince's as we see in the fight with Childerich where Roy is more of a brawler. I guess the Barows gave Roy a pretendy weapon that resembles what the prince uses, and he just made up his own fighting style with it.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yeah, it's similar with Hoi in Suikoden II. He just tries to imitate the original.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Sasarai, you should definitely give Tactics another shot. It takes some getting used to if you haven't played other games with that sort of style combat, but once you get the hang of the controls it becomes very addictive. And while the story isn't great, it does tie up a few loose ends from Suikoden 4, and a lot of the characters get fleshed out more with dialogue that you see in battles and campfire scenes.

what makes less sense is the prince's choice of weapon in Suikoden 5. Why does he have a tri-bo when all the queen's knights use bladed weapons? Maybe Arshtat didn't want him use a blade as she felt that the prince shouldn't draw blood in combat or something, but who taught him to fight with that weapon? It's not like we ever meet any of his instructors (In Suikoden 1, Tir had Kai as an instructor) and yet Roy, who has had an entirely different upbringing to the prince, is able to use the same kind of weapon almost as well as him.

Gong back to Lazlo's fighting style, in the game's intro we see all the trainees together practicing the same move. so I guess it's compulsory for all knights to master that sword technique during the early stages of their career. Katarina is the only knight we see using a staff, so perhaps she used to use a sword during her training days, then eventually swapped it for a traditional mage's weapon.
- Actually difficulty was extraordinary in Tactics. It took me many tries to finish each battle. Not to mention characters were getting killed way easily.
- As for Prince...maybe he was self-taught? Roy was just pretending to be Prince, so he was using same weapon. It doesn't mean he was skilled wih it.
- And Konrad uses a staff too. But he was a mage as well so it makes sense.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Once you figure out how to use the elemental forces to your advantage, battles become much easier. It's worth sticking with storyline characters (who can't be killed) as much as possible during your first game.

Roy was skilled enough to defeat Childerich (an assassin who nearly killed the prince, Sialeeds and Lyon) single-handedly and had to be put down by Guisu's army of bowmen. so while Roy was not quite the warrior that the prince became, he was still a competent fighter.
And since some of you little girls seem to prefer the ending where Roy lives happily ever after and becomes that playwright from Suikoden 3, I'm surprised you're not kissing his ass about his fighting capabilities.

Konrad was not officially a knight of Razril, he was a magic instructor (in Tactics, there are even sub-quests where the knights employ freelance mages and fighters to train the recruits in different fighting styles) and he acknowledges Katarina as his greatest student, so it could be that he inspired her to take up the staff instead of the sword.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

- Well I've never played a Tactics RPG before, so i'm not familiar with this genre. Well perhaps i will give it a go once i fnish SIV i suppose.
- Never said he lacks fighting skills. He managed to repel like 50 of Guisu's bows...only 1 hit him.
- Ah didn't know. But yeah makes sense why Katarina uses a staff.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The only other tactical RPGs I've played are Vandal Hearts 1 and 2, and they are different from Suikoden Tactics because Vandal Hearts is more about finding higher ground to inflict maximum damage against enemies. That stuff doesn't apply to Suikoden Tactics, so I found it awkward at first. It's more about using the elements to strengthen your allies and weaken your enemies. And it's actually challenging, unlike most games in the main series. Each character has to earn his or her experience points, you can't level your weaklings up as easily as the main Suikoden games. But there is plenty of fun to be had.