The Genius of Sappheiros

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Punkaiser

The Genius of Sappheiros

Post by Punkaiser »

Quite a shame that only until now I've discovered this fanmade Rpg : The Genius of Sappheiros (from Touhou Project)
Weekend is the ultimate version of with some nice improvements, it's better to go with it.

Gameplay follows a traditional turn-based format, where all of the party's commands are selected at once(like in Suikoden) and executed based on speed in tandem with enemy's actions. In terms of resemblance to other games, it is very Romancing Saga-esque. The party can have up to five active members at a time, from twelve possible characters (seventeen in the expansion of Summer Heat and Weekend), with a sixth providing a support bonus to the active members while not participating in combat. Each of these characters can be developed via both traditional leveling up and investing in Power, a separate type of level that can be placed into one of 14 different categories, four of which are related to the character's personal abilities, four of which are weapon classes they can wield (including one unique class for each character), and their six core statistics, to become better in each area.

-A feature similar to Limit Break in FF also presents here but it's very random, there's no telling when it would come to play.
-Base level and Power(skill) level are separated. Everytime a character gains a base level, her stats rise randomly according to her growth trend while gainning Power level nets her 1 skill point. Inactive characters only gain Power exp but no Base exp. Players can reset skill points of every characters at anytime with no cost to test new strategy.
-There're physical, magical and even racial elements in game that players must be aware of in order to exploit target's strength and weakness
-There also exist formations that characters must be set in to get either bonuses or just for the sake of AOE tactic (spells have AOE as line, row, circle or field effect). Some formations are quite tricky to get.
-Each character is quite unique on their own due to their growth and unique skill trees which make them better at a certain role than the others but of course players are free to use them the way they want.
-However, the game is quite hard so if you play it blindly, just expect to get stuck in some boss fights. Status aliments are extremely dangerous here and enemies AI even makes things harder for us, like, most of the time they will gang on the weakest character or abuse their annoying moves until the whole party is disabled or wiped out. Some bosses employ very cheap instant death attacks with crazy high chance, some will release a devastating attack whenever their HP drop low enough, some others unleash a final attack before dying that easily wipe out the whole party no matter how strong your party is...etc..

So if you're bored of streamlined and easy rpgs these days (I am), check out this game, it will easily take over 100 hours just to finish main story. And for completionists, please expect much much longer.
KnightOfTruth

Re: The Genius of Sappheiros

Post by KnightOfTruth »

Is there an English version of this? It seems interesting but looks to only be in Japanese from what I could tell.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

Even the last version Weekend was translated into english. I just can't post the download link here as some mods have warned me.
You can easily google for the direct download links, it's usually on the first result page.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I am also a big fan of the Touhou Project games. They are all well-made, lack any corporate ties, and allow fans to do whatever they heck they want. It is basically completely different from that certain company that starts with "K"