Suikoden Card Stories translated

A forum for questions and discussions about the Gaiden titles, Cardstories for the Gameboy Advance and the physical card game.
Antimatzist

Re: Suikoden Card Stories translated

Post by Antimatzist »

I think that's the best you could do. I never thought I could play it, anyway.

Minor bugs don't bother me much.
Pokeytax

Post by Pokeytax »

After a looong hiatus, I've begun poking at this again.

The prospects for actually making it a good-looking professional hack are pretty dim, I've decided. It's not that it's "unhackable" or other such nonsense - the game is unfortunately 100% sprite text, but there are ways of working around that - as that I already have a mostly working version developed along faulty lines, and I'd have to scrap and rewrite a lot to get it working. It would be one thing to put in the effort to get it right if I were working from nothing, but given that the game is currently playable, I just don't care nearly enough. So I think I'm going to squash the easier bugs and call it a day soon.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

In the original Japanese release, it was impossible to fully complete the game,
due to one missing card. That character was apparently intended to be
distributed through special events and promotions, like Mew for the original
Pokemon. But, the abysmal sales of Card Stories in Japan meant nothing ever
materialized.

However, this card is fully functional, there are hints about this character in
the original release, and there was even a complete cutscene dummied out. This
character is now enabled, and it should be possible to get a 100% card file.
Happy hunting!
May I ask which character it is? And have you included the cutscene and how is it triggered?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I'd guess it's Jordie since he's from a game that wasn't out yet when this came out and is more or less the only one that has a special cutscene.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Pokeytax

Post by Pokeytax »

Yeah, it's Joe. The cutscene is triggered by visiting Sajah Village, which opens up as you'd expect near the very end of the game. I plan to do a brief writeup of this and some other tidbits of general interest eventually.

Some detail in Japanese is available at http://www.geocities.co.jp/Bookend/2172/card/ed.html.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

This is neat. It's awesome that it finally has a working translation. I know I've played through the original GBA release at least once before, but I can't even recall the rules and stuff after so many years. If only the physical card game still lives.

So, anyone with winning deck ideas?
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

I was having so many problems with Mil stratagies in the beginning that I just have a card waster deck. Put a lot of facilities and just let the other guy destory them so that he runs out of cards heh. Toss in some other things to make him waste and easy wins.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I now played the game further and yeah, winning without a card wasting deck is really hard/impossible. I tried the first Solon Jhee battle four or five times with a regular deck until I won.

Also, is there any secret in the Cave of the Wind except that it's a long dungeon?
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

Dude, I wanted to know the same thing. I searched and could not find anything in there. The only think I think is that Jhee shows up from time to time in there for a rematch.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I certainly found more NPCs there than in other dungeons. I found Rowd, Jhee, Apple and.. I think another one. Apple allows you to rebuild your deck I think, the other two want to play against you. I also found a lot of chests, but I guess that's just because it is bigger than the other dungeons.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Card wasting deck? I don't remember trying that tactic before, but I'll look into it. Especially since I've finally got the Hero as the first Mastermind card.
darkknightkv

Post by darkknightkv »

For me, having them waste cards is great in the MIL battles, esp in the beginning. I think Shu uses one and thats what gave me the idea. The main deck for me revolves around making sure I can cancel out his people on Mil missions.

In addition it's great to toss out cards like an inn. I will just put the card down just to let him kill it, the comp player will waste 3-4 cards killing an inn for no real reason. Rinse and repeat.

I also like cards that makes the comp discard it's hand or discard fighters/leaders.
s21

Post by s21 »

Antimatzist wrote:I now played the game further and yeah, winning without a card wasting deck is really hard/impossible. I tried the first Solon Jhee battle four or five times with a regular deck until I won.

Also, is there any secret in the Cave of the Wind except that it's a long dungeon?
i found a chest with a star dragon sword card in the last level, i guess that's the secret

one of the 'talk' in tinto mentions a grand treasure in the tenth level, but i didn't find anything special, is there also another secret there? maybe i missed it and failed to find it?
s21

Post by s21 »

found a bug, i meet lorelai in tinto mines who's asking for a mukumuku card, some of the text in the conversation is untranslated and when she gives me a lorelai card as a reward, i can't quit the "card received" message and carry on with the game

screenshot:
http://oi44.tinypic.com/mazdhk.jpg

i also have a save state just before the bug, i played using VisualBoyAdvance 1.80 beta 3