Official history of the heros/castles/army/countries names?

Questions about the locations mentioned in the series; and those about the backstory not seen in the games.
EstrangedIX

Re: Official history of the heros/castles/army/countries nam

Post by EstrangedIX »

I'm not telling people not to call him Razro (regardless of how ridiculous it sounds), just pointing out that Lazlo isn't incorrect based on the fact that both l and r can be used interchangeably. And yes, someone a few posts up mentioned Jillia, although that post is older.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

But Lazlo is incorrect as the only official romanization is Razro, until you show an instance where they used Lazlo these two are not equal. The fact that other names can be interpreted is irrelevant, it's not what Konami chose. The argument is silly beyond reason, you can transliterate Neclord to Nekurodo if you want to and it would still be technically correct, but I doubt anyone is going to advocate that. To assume they were wrong because you don't like it is just hubris.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

It has nothing to do with me not liking it, and everything to do with simply acknowledging that Konami gets things wrong on occasion. I'm not attacking you or anyone else by pointing this out. Not sure what makes you get so defensive and start in on someone just because they feel differently than you. You're entitled to your say, as are the rest of us.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Of course we all agree that Razro and Lazlo are the very same in Japanese, afaik a Japanese would pronounce both ways in the same (or at least a really similar) way.

Romanization is always a problem, as it leaves a lot to the interpretation of the author. Maybe Konami was lazy and they romanized it as Razro because that's the least work. We really cannot know. But you can't say Razro might be a mistranslation, so you won't accept it, because, as we already pointed out, there is no mistranslation. Joseph Smith would be a mistranslation, but both Razro and Lazlo are equally correct. But that's not up for discussion, we're discussing the officialness.

I think a valid argument is: It's Razril, not Lazlil/Lazril/Lazulil, so the romanization of the hero makes more sense being Razro than Lazlo mo.

btw what do you mean by scooby doo name?
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

Scooby Doo would say Lazlo as Razro, it was just a joke is all. And translation is different from transliteration, so you are right that Joseph Smith would most definitely be incorrect. The rest just boils down to an Asian company using Engrish in their transliteration. It's really not a big deal, just something that gets pointed out now and then. Our newest member brought the thread back to life because he wanted to point out that both names are correct because of l and r. I only wanted to add that this applies to the town name as well, so either is still correct, regardless of how the characters (letters) are represented in translation.