[FAQ] The Confusion Behind Nanami *Possible Spoiler*

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: [FAQ] The Confusion Behind Nanami *Possible Spoiler*

Post by wataru14 »

Antimatzist wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:27 pm It's crazy how this 120 PROT (or any random number) were treated like the real value for ... forever? But sweet that we still undig these secrets!
My guess is that the someone who came up with that had a naked Nanami with 119 PRO and she died. Based on the level she is at that point in the plot, that's about average. Then they reset and put a robe on her and she lived. Not because her DEF was now 120, but because she had the robe on. But they had no way of knowing that was the real cause. They probably just thought 120 was the magic number. Understandable. But it is funny that no one tested it for like two decades.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, it's easy enough to just equip her, and getting to that point over and over is a bit of pain. Unless you planned ahead and brought 15 different armors in your bag, along with several you probably would have just sold or trashed by that point, you probably wouldn't check more than two or three scenarios. It's not really something that lends itself to thorough testing by casual players.

The requirement is arbitrary and kind of stupid either way. I mean, the least Konami could have done was to have some dialogue in there like, "if only she'd been wearing ANY kind of armor!!!!! She probably would have survived......," when you hit that failure condition.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

wataru14 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:42 am
Antimatzist wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:27 pm It's crazy how this 120 PROT (or any random number) were treated like the real value for ... forever? But sweet that we still undig these secrets!
My guess is that the someone who came up with that had a naked Nanami with 119 PRO and she died. Based on the level she is at that point in the plot, that's about average. Then they reset and put a robe on her and she lived. Not because her DEF was now 120, but because she had the robe on. But they had no way of knowing that was the real cause. They probably just thought 120 was the magic number. Understandable. But it is funny that no one tested it for like two decades.
I've seen a few claims they had less than 120 PROT and saved her, but replies were usually that the person made a mistake. I guess it's hard to have such a low DEF growth on Nanami that her PROT with an armor would be less than 120.
TheyCallMeStacy

Post by TheyCallMeStacy »

Pyriel wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:55 pm Well, it's easy enough to just equip her, and getting to that point over and over is a bit of pain. Unless you planned ahead and brought 15 different armors in your bag, along with several you probably would have just sold or trashed by that point, you probably wouldn't check more than two or three scenarios. It's not really something that lends itself to thorough testing by casual players.

The requirement is arbitrary and kind of stupid either way. I mean, the least Konami could have done was to have some dialogue in there like, "if only she'd been wearing ANY kind of armor!!!!! She probably would have survived......," when you hit that failure condition.
Yeah for sure. Especially considering if you go for the regular ending where you govern the country, and don't go to Tenzan Pass, you get a little graphic at the end of the credits giving you a hint that you were supposed to go there for another possible ending. Additionally, Richmond's investigations gives you a small hint that it's worth visiting Kyaro again, so I also think it would have been great if they gave you a little hint that she's supposed to be wearing armor. Then again, if someone has never played the game before and didn't know what was going to happen to her, it's unlikely they would unequip her of everything beforehand, so there's that I guess.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Yeah, it's definitely in the realm of, "99.9% of players won't need this," things. I just think obscure tests shouldn't be entirely invisible to the player.

Too many broke-brain, 90s puzzle games maybe. Although, it hasn't exactly stopped. Hell, they had to put in an entire ending to the Witcher 3 DLC that was hints for getting the good ending in the main game. I still had to look up why the game was all but forcing me to be a horse thief to keep the main character's adopted daughter happy, and it turned out to be because an aphorism about friendship that I'd never heard of ("someone you can steal horses with") is well-known in Poland.
Last edited by Pyriel on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheyCallMeStacy

Post by TheyCallMeStacy »

Pyriel wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:48 pm Yeah, it's definitely in the realm of, "99.9% of players won't need this," things. I just think obscure tests shouldn't be entirely invisible to the player.

Too many broke-brain, 90s puzzle games maybe. Although, it hasn't exactly stopped. Hell, they had to put in an entire ending to the Witcher 3 DLC that was hints for getting the good ending in the main game. I still had to look up why the game was all but forcing me to be a horse thief to keep the main character's adopted daughter happy, and it turned out to be because an aphorism about friendship that I'd never heard of ("someone you can still horses with") is well-known in Poland.
That's pretty interesting! Not to go off topic, but given that aphorism was well known in Poland but not elsewhere, I've always wondered how translation may have altered certain plot points, character personalities, etc. Given that we know of so many translation errors and bugs (especially Suiko 1 and 2), many have speculated that development was a bit rushed, and I remember reading something from a forum post about how a translator wasn't even told which character was saying what line of dialogue, and they had to guess. I know JRPGs in general like to imply certain character relations rather than just directly confirm them, but people still speculate a lot anyway. Hopefully most of the subtleties in plot and characters were faithfully adapted - I would love a detailed tell all from translators, such as Janet Hsu has done regarding the translation and localization of the Ace Attorney series. Maybe Eiyuden Chronicles coming out will help demand for that :D .
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

I remember some interview from a translator that they were literally just dumped with the script with no context whatsoever.

You'll be surprised at how much the translation team went through. I been exploring the prototype build and some characters/runes/area has been changed from the final build. For example:

Joei was used early and throughout unlike the final product.

Fortress of Mercenary instead of Mercenary Fortress.

Inferno (Rune) instead of Rage (Rune).

White Water instead of Flowing.

Tempest instead of Cyclone.

Great Earth instead of Mother Earth.

Thunderbird :lol: instead of Thunder. (雷鳴の紋章 is the Japanese text. 鳴 consist of 口 and 鳥(bird), so that's probably the reason).

Exorcism instead of Resurrection.

There are some more but I don't remember all of them. Just to be clear, the prototype build is from April 26,1999 that was meant for the E3 demo at that time. From what I can tell the team only translated the early parts since anything beyond Kyaro area are gibberish (Jap language but not encoded).