Suikoden 2 some technical issues

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Quinalha

Suikoden 2 some technical issues

Post by Quinalha »

:D Hello!
I am just starting a game translation project, and would like to know if it is possible to increase the size of some game menu windows? And how do I do that?
For example, I would like to increase the size of the window to have more space to translate the names of enemies.

I'll leave a link to the game's savestate in battle
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OgdiOp ... sp=sharing
I count on your help, thank you very much :D
El_Nombre

Re: Suikoden 2 some technical issues

Post by El_Nombre »

I don't know anything about coding or hacking, but you could just use abbreviations when you run out of space, like "S.D.Sword" in the english game.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Suikoden 2 some technical issues

Post by Pyriel »

I don't remember much about how it draws those readouts to the screen. My recollection is that it's not particularly simple or on-demand. Meaning it's probably more complicated than finding the width parameter and changing it.

The bigger issue with expanding names is that they have a hard-coded length. Some strings just don't use all of it. Changing the length for one means changing every instance of the struct that contains the name, even if you don't need the extra space. And that means using more memory and more space on disc, and changing all the routines that read the structs. It's not necessarily impossible (unless the desired changes overrun some limit), but like the original localization teams, you really need to think about whether or not it's worth it.