[Guide] Suikoden II Hex Editor

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
psychedelist

Re: [Guide] Suikoden II Hex Editor

Post by psychedelist »

I don't know what's wrong with your iso and haven't tried the editor, but i know that the data is offset by +0x1260 in the patched iso.
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

When I have the time later ill test things out and see if I can find Hiro/Riou using that extra offset.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

If you applied the standard suite of patches, the trade chat translations will shift a big chunk of data in the ISO to later sectors on the disc. There might be one or two other patches that expand files by a few bytes, but I can't think what they'd be offhand.
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

After doing some more testing I found out that Hero's offset becomes and starts at 111E30DA and everyone else follows suit in roughly the same fashion as before. The weapon growth for 1-handed swords starts at 111FDFD4 and the rest follows suit too.
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

Where are the offsets for the spells located normally?
psychedelist

Post by psychedelist »

It's probably best to unpack the iso as an archive, search for the file "MAGI.BIN" that contains data for spells. Then you can copy the data and search for it in the iso too. Each spell is 64 bytes, spell power is at the end of 64 byte block. To know which entry is which spell, you'd need character map, Pyriel linked to it somewhere earlier in this thread. Spell name is at the beginning of each 64 byte block.
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

Is there a way to load the charmap into the editor so it decodes the bytes into text automatically?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

If you're still using HxD, I don't think so. I don't think support for custom encodings was ever added to it. It's been a long time since I used it, though.
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

I'll look into that later.

Are the weapon growths completely editable or only up to the first 10 levels. I'd like to redo them to be a little more evened out as they progress instead of them exploding in power only towards the end.
psychedelist

Post by psychedelist »

There's data for 17 levels actually (17 isn't reachable in-game). Maybe the original poster meant 0x10 bytes, which would be 16.
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

Do monsters use a different damage formula for attacks?
psychedelist

Post by psychedelist »

Your question is missing context... if you mean as in the calculations page, well not really different, except that there's nothing that would act as C multiplier for monsters.
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

What I meant to imply was that it seems there is a little bit of RGN when it comes to damage calculations coming from monsters/enemies. Sometimes when the same monster attacks the same person with the same attack, I get a little bit of a difference in what I receive in damage.

Second point I wanted some clarity on - Do enemies have a Weapon Power or Innate Attack Rating they combine with their Strength? For instance, the Commander unit you fight in the prologue has 20 Strength, and my Jowy at the time had 20 Defense. But every time he got wacked by the Commander he took 15 points of damage pre-leveling up. Which makes me wonder if Monsters use a different damage formula for their attacks.
psychedelist

Post by psychedelist »

If the difference between attack power and defense is less than 6, then the character takes 1, 2 or 3 points of damage. Otherwise, randomization may be a bit higher, maybe up to 7 or so.

Physical single target attacks have another thing about them - "critical attack" when the final damaged is doubled (not tripled like in characters critical), maybe that's what you had. It's been verified that characters' crit chance depends on Tech and Luck, and from my experience, the same applies to the enemies, although not verified through code.

What the bestiary lists as STR is only used for when you get countered, and it's not summed with their attacks power. Each attack of each enemy has its own strength value used for calculation. Typically, it's close to the counter STR, but usually higher. Those first Commanders have 28 power for their attack. Jowy taking 15 damage is probably 28-20+randomization.
Mulcarn

Post by Mulcarn »

Okay that helps a lot thank you.