[FAQ] Five Flying Squirrels

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
BennyJackdaw

Re: [FAQ] Five Flying Squirrels

Post by BennyJackdaw »

Pyriel wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:06 pm If you missed Mukumuku in Kyaro, he won't show up again until all the other squirrels can be encountered. That's around two-thirds of the way through the game, when the Greenhill liberation arc starts. If you've only just arrived in Two River the first time, you have a fair bit of the story to cover before they'll show up.
thanks. Now I know I can stop wasting my time.

I know it's kind of sad, but I actually started the game over just to get him early. I still have my other save file, but I just like the little guy too much to want to wait that long. To be fair, he's not the only character I want. I didn't get Anita during the Muse Ark, and I hear she has the Falcon Rune. For some reason, watching Valerie use it in the previous game was just satisfying, watching her strike a hundred blows into a large boss.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

Mukumuku and the others does not impact the story in anyway except for the unites, the save file (memory card), and one extra credit scene. Mukumuku is the only one relevant to 108 completion.

You can get Anita anytime once you fulfill her request at later at Banner Village. You can get her with Valerie (more or less the same fighting style) in your party but you have to choose between Valerie or Kasumi. Kasumi is more important as she is the one to use to recruit the other ninjas leading to the 108 completion.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

You can still recruit the ninjas even without Kasumi, but you need more SoDs to do so iirc.

But I understand that one wants Mukumuku. I always love-hate it when he joins me for the Sindar ruins. :-D
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

Did not know about the Valerie and Kasumi thing. Guess there are still a lot of things I missed in the game.
psychedelist

Post by psychedelist »

Sod page says that the squirrels only require Castle Level 2, and indeed i was able to get them directly after Two River mission. But i always already had Mukumuku, next time i'll try skipping him in Kyaro. I know some characters temporarily disappear during the Greenhill mission (not liberation), maybe the squirrels are also disabled, i'll check it too. Have you tried following this video? It worked for me except for Mekumeku who was more south down the road in my game.

Edit:
From a post on the previous page,
Pyriel wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:41 pm Edit: Added two extra lines to knock out the last bit of randomness. It gets pretty easy after that: http://youtu.be/jd8zbnSOHvQ
This may be considered as a proof that the squirrels can appear before liberation. The random battle seen in the video has pre-liberation enemies.
Last edited by psychedelist on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I can't remember, does 2 do that stupid thing where the castle hasn't technically leveled up until you enter it from the world map? That might be why they never showed up during that phase in my bug-testing runs.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Correct, the Castle doesn't technically reach a given level until you've re-entered.

Unrelated, are your notes on the Squirrel spawn regions still available somewhere? The other archive with it seems to be offline. I'd like to study that setup for clues about how the game treats encounter regions in general.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

http://herrvillain.net/suikoden/gs2/sui ... 9-HTML.zip

I edited the first post in the Bug Fixes thread too. I don't know where else the old link might have been posted.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Perfect, thanks! That helped quite a bit with understanding how the scripts are set up.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

Since I can visualize the background scripts now, I thought it would be a pretty good idea to share the actual squirrel locations. I thought there were some pics before, but I don't see them in the thread anymore, at least. So below, pictures of their encounter regions, in their highly-compressed glory.

Mukumuku:
mukumuku.jpg
Makumaku:
makumaku.jpg
Mikumiku:
mikumiku.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

And because the attachments in the editor is silly, the remaining ones:

Mekumeku:
mekumeku.jpg
Mokumoku:
mokumoku.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
faospark

Post by faospark »

since i recently replayed this . the earliest possible time to obtain the squirrels is when after forming alliance with two river and you have received the news that highland has occupied Greenhill and not just having a level 2 castle.
oops

Post by oops »

Cheers Omnigamer, I took most of your images a while back and put them together for when I was recruiting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UyaC-D ... Ca4kz/view