[FAQ] Requirements to continue story (meeting Pilika)

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Crowley Reborn

Re: Pilika mystery

Post by Crowley Reborn »

Actually I was replaying last night. I'd gotten every character I could right away and headed straight to Toto (this was a fast run--I got all 108 in 22 hours, and that was with me leaving it on to shower and whatnot). Pilika wouldn't come out to play. I was a little irritated... ran back to the fort, talked to viktor, he said nothing important, then I went back to Toto and it was all good.
Maybe you have to visit Toto once before AND have a few characters?
Check out The Old Kingdom Ardänia series, starting with the first book, Vermillion Skies
http://www.facebook.com/prbison
http://www.facebook.com/vermillionskies1
ninjaluc79

Re: Pilika mystery

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Most of the time people actually get Pilika to appear in Toto in their first visit. It is possible that you have to change your party ONCE then go to Toto with the new party.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Re: [FAQ] Requirements to continue story (meeting Pilika)

Post by Sasarai10 »

Here we are again....

I decided to play the game without getting any optional characters,but here is the problem..what exactly do you have to do,if you wish to meet Pilika,without recruiting any new characters. It seems like that you have to have at least 3 characters recruited (except Nanami Futch and Humphrey). The first time i got Zamza,Rikimaru and Millie (in that order exactly) and i finally met her. So i thought that Millie must be recruited in order to trigger the scene....so i have restarted the game,and recruited Millie firstly,and then i went to Toto,to meet Pilika....but nothing happened. Then i went to recruit Futch & Humphrey,in order to have 3 optional recruits...but when i returned,i still couldn't meet her,and then i went to the Ryube Forest,to pick up Kinnison & Shiro,and she finally appeared!

So i came to the conclusion,that you must have 3 optional recruits who are recruitable normally after escaping from Kyaro (i said normally because Futch and Humphrey can be recruited at this point,only via glitch). But,problem is...that i saw a video (in Japanese version) where a guy has been to the Ruins with only Gengen as the additional party member...so it has to do with the versions? :?:
BadPotato

Post by BadPotato »

yep, according to the video, the japanese version have less restriction in order to met pilika.
==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLn96c34PS4&t=6m52s
Here we can see the japanese player talk to the Rikimaru and Millie, but in the end... he doesn't even recruit anyone.

That said, maybe we should test with the PSP version as well.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

BadPotato wrote:yep, according to the video, the japanese version have less restriction in order to met pilika.
==> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLn96c34PS4&t=6m52s
Here we can see the japanese player talk to the Rikimaru and Millie, but in the end... he doesn't even recruit anyone.

That said, maybe we should test with the PSP version as well.
After returning from Kyaro WITHOUT Nanami,and returning to the fort,Viktor asked me,to find new recruits...i went to Ryube and spoke to Rikimaru and Millie,without asking them to join in my group...i went to Toto,but Pilika didn't appear.
So i returned to Ryube to pick up Millie first,and back to Toto again,but still nothing...i returned to Ryube and asked Rikimaru to join,and when i went to Toto she finally appeared...that means i had 2 optional recruits.

So our conclusion is,if you return with Nanami from Kyaro you need at least 3 optional characters and if you return without Nanami,you need at least 2 optional characters,but...wait a minute. That's a little stange isn't it?

If we consider that Nanami counts as a recruit by the time then besides her,you'll have Riou,Jowy and Gengen,plus the 3 optionals = 7 recruits
But without Nanami,and with 2 optionals,you'll have 5 recruits in total....
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Clainoute at gamefaqs wrote:Hello there.

I'm coming from the Legend of Dragoon board, just having completing a no random encounter walkthrough. I decided to do one on Suikoden II, mixed with a minimal requirement game.

Soon I was confronted to the Pilika's mystery, or how to trigger Pikila appearance in Toto village. And I think I got it.

The answer is TIME.

I'm going to do a little math now. There must be a variable for the Pilika trigger. I don't know about the numbers. Let's assume the variable begins at 0 and need to reach 4. The variable can be raised by 2 factors:
- Recruting Zamza, Kinnison&Shiro, Rikimaru or Millie increase the variable by 1. Recruting all 4 put the variable to the max.
- WAIT. I'd say it takes 2-3 hours after you get back to Viktor's Fort. As if the variable get up by 1 for every half hour of gameplay. This last part is inaccurate...

Some test I've done (note that I began to be abe to recruit those 4 after 1h30 of gameplay):
- Recruited only Rikimaru and Zamza, less than 2 hours of gameplay. No Pilika. I waited (did nothing, the PSP was running in my pocket while I was working) for 1 hour, then went out and in to Toto, Pilika showed up.
- Recruited NO ONE, got 5 hours 15 of gameplay. Pilika showed up.

That it!

tl;dr : To trigger Pilika's appearance in Toto, either recruit all characters or wait for 2-3 hours after coming back to the Mercenaries' Fort, or do something in between.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Thanks a lot KFC,gonna try it some day....hope it works in PAL versions.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Aren't there methods to reset the clock or to set it to a certain time? Then it would be "easy" to find out.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i haven't played in ages, but do you have to visit Toto at least twice? the first time Jowy looks around and says nothing, and then the next time we see Pilika? maybe it's just one of those time pass requirements after the first visit.... and the time check would likely be at 00 or 30 minutes.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

KFCrispy wrote:i haven't played in ages, but do you have to visit Toto at least twice? the first time Jowy looks around and says nothing, and then the next time we see Pilika? maybe it's just one of those time pass requirements after the first visit.... and the time check would likely be at 00 or 30 minutes.

No,no...you don't have to fetch Jowy at Pilika's home,if she won't appear...she'll appear anyway,after recruiting 3-4 characters...or after 5 hours,according to gamefaqs.

The playtime would be circa 45 minutes,after returning from Kyaro.
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

So I have the full requirements to meet Pilika now.

There's an internal counter that gets set up as soon as you return to the mercenary Fort. It increments whenever you do certain things:

1. Recruit a character. This advances the counter by 5. Kinnison and Shiro only advance the counter by 5 once.
2. Enter the Fort. This increments the counter by 1. No other location increments the counter, as best as I can tell.
3. Time? It seems like people have confirmed that you can advance it by just waiting, but I wasn't able to advance the counter this way.

You can meet Pilika as soon as you have accumulated 17 or more points.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I take it you've observed this happening with Cheat Engine or something? I hope so, otherwise it's bizarre and counterproductive to invent the notion of a counter.

It'd be simple enough in the scripting to trigger events based on a global variable they set up or time. They don't want to trap you there forever, or force you to hang about for hours when you've clearly wrapped up all the important items. So just, "if MercenaryEventPoints >= 17 OR playtime > 5.00...Pilika".
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

So if i enter the fort 17 times,i can meet Pilika? Sounds strange,but i would give it a try if it's true :|
Omnigamer

Post by Omnigamer »

I verified it by hunting down the memory address in psxjin and just watching it as I performed various actions. I saved the address, but I'm not at home right now. I was clued in that entering the fort has this effect from the notes of a Japanese speedrunner, who entered the fort 29 times in order to trigger Pilika. I did some testing to verify that she appears as early as 17. As for just waiting a long time, it probably does check some other value, but I can't verify that at this time.
BadPotato

Post by BadPotato »

Ok I just tested that 17 enter/exit trick with the mercenary fort and it work, thanks to the info from Omnigamer. The memory address seem to be 0x6AD7E

Here's how it work:

When Flik & Viktor leave the group the counter is reseted
Enter in the mercenary fort give 1 point
Talk to the Inn keeper in Ryube give 1 point
Talk to the Inn keeper in Toto give 1 point
Recruit Rikimaru give 5 points
Recruit Millie give 5 points
Recruit Kinisson & Shiro give 5 points

When you enter in Toto village the game does indeed check if the counter is greater or equal to 17.

Talking to any other Inn Keeper(including Pohl) or recruiting Futch & Humphrey with the matilda glitch doesn't give any point.

edith: I also tried to wait 5 hours in therm of gameplay(while been under the 17 points required and recruting noboddy), so when I save the game show 5 hours and Pilika still didn't show up when going in Toto.
Last edited by BadPotato on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.