[Codes] Gameshark codes

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
JiN88

Re: [Codes] Gameshark codes

Post by JiN88 »

Who are GRA (88), and SSS (9D)? and does the empty names means anything?

Suikoden (main Character), Pilikia, Jowy, and Nanami appears multiple times. Is that because of their child version, King Jowy, and Pilikia in a dress version?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Empty names likely mean nothing. They're either there for future expansion, or just to divide blocks. The first block is mostly active party characters that have stats, and the second block is primarily non-combatants that don't have stats. The third is just sort of a free for all. Although, the second isn't much better. They might have started with the idea of sorting them more meaningfully, and gave up later in development. I don't really know, but that's the sort of thing I've seen happen in projects I've worked on.

I never tried to load GRA or SSS. Duplicate entries are a mixture of different sprites/portraiture, and different stats. One of the duplicate Jowy instances is King Jowy, and the later one is, I think, King Jowy in a cut scene where he has some custom animations.
Matroska

Post by Matroska »

Pyriel wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:35 pm You can find this in NAMES.BIN on the disc. "Suikoden" is the default value for the hero.
Thanks, that's great. I thought I understood how this worked but evidently not; I know you enter the code for the character's kill count (e.g. 800698B4 for the hero) and then after that add a high number so their kill count will be the highest (e.g. AFC8 which is 45,000 in decimal). I got it working with Flik, Nanami and Eilie. I tried to change the statue to non-combat characters, thinking along the same lines as wataru14, but I couldn't get it to work. I then tried with various combat characters just in case it blocked non-combatants but I still couldn't get it to work.

So clearly I don't actually get how this works. So what exactly do you do? The hero's kill count code is 800698B4. Let's say you wanted to make the statue into Killey, who is 2C on the list, what do you do to the hero's code to get Killey's one?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

69EC0. You have to subtract one from the digits in the list, if you're going to start from the hero. 0x24 * (character id - 1). I don't recall if this game has wasted space for the 0th character's stats. I would hope not, but I'm pretty sure they did that in Suikoden III. So who knows. In any case, you're treating the hero as the root, so his offset has to come out to 0.

You can verify your work pretty easily by looking at other codes for the character. It looks like the kill count is +8 from the shield modifier or +2 from "Other Slot 3 Quantity", if you want a crosscheck with the simplest math. Or, you know, if you're not looking to create a list for every character, it's probably easier to start there.
frozenfan843

Post by frozenfan843 »

bit of a dumb question to ask this...but i used codes to get Recipes #38 (Sashimi Combo) and #40 (Kaiseki Dinner) just cause i like how they look in the cook-offs, and the fact that they produce really decent food items...(I.E. Queen of the Sea, etc) but this isn't gonna screw me over when i defeat Resto and Jinkai in their respective cook-offs, and get the recipes properly...is it?
you stole an Everlasting Gobstopper, GOOD DAY SIR!
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

I don't remember what cookoff those guys are, but it's probably one of the later ones. In general it shouldn't affect anything. The script there almost certainly won't bother to check what recipes you have because there's no reason to as far as the game is concerned. It'll just try to set the switch on when it's already on.

The only way it could cause problems is on the vanishingly tiny chance that they decided to go the stupid route and build a mask so they can XOR the switch to actually toggle its state. That would be 10x more work than the task actually requires, and there's no script command that does it. They'd have to use the script extensions to create a custom command for that one scenario. I only mention it because there are cases where they did sort of similar things, like the livestock and crops in the farm. And those scenarios are just similar in the sense that they did 10x the work required, and created bugs by getting too hung up on what they were metaphorically doing, rather than looking for the simplest way to get the results they needed. Anyway, if you notice the recipes disappear after the cookoff, just use the code again.
Aeonova

Post by Aeonova »

Still faithfully checking for any replies to my post on page 11 that looked like this:
Aeonova wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:16 pm I don't have my old PS1 and Gameshark Pro so I'm not able to make my own codes anymore. Any time I try to search for this, my google-fu fails (or it doesn't exist) and normally nets me Window Set item codes. I was hoping for a Window Modifier Code that I could use from the start of the game (not needing to go recruit Tenkou) to get something other than the initial gold-border window. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I could probably figure out the digits once I had the address, but if the code made this window with a black background, that would be great. I don't know how the values are handled (if the window type and the color are independent addresses).

Gonna try again to work it out on my own again tonight with Cheat Engine and ePSXe, but if anyone knows the Window mod address or values, that would be helpful. Thanks. I'm so ready to be done trying to crack this stupid value. *sigh*
shin07

Post by shin07 »

do you have a cheat codes for all items in warehouse . ??
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

The warehouse has limited space so you can't get "all items" like you can in 1. There are codes to modify each slot of the warehouse's inventory online. There are 60 slots of space in the vault, so if you make a 60-line code with the specific item you want in each slot, that would work. But that is a LOT of effort.
faospark

Post by faospark »

there is code for rune shops and armory to sell all runes and armor. why not just use that? @shin07
MasterGrand

Post by MasterGrand »

Aeonova wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:40 pm Still faithfully checking for any replies to my post on page 11 that looked like this:
Aeonova wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:16 pm I don't have my old PS1 and Gameshark Pro so I'm not able to make my own codes anymore. Any time I try to search for this, my google-fu fails (or it doesn't exist) and normally nets me Window Set item codes. I was hoping for a Window Modifier Code that I could use from the start of the game (not needing to go recruit Tenkou) to get something other than the initial gold-border window. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: I could probably figure out the digits once I had the address, but if the code made this window with a black background, that would be great. I don't know how the values are handled (if the window type and the color are independent addresses).

Gonna try again to work it out on my own again tonight with Cheat Engine and ePSXe, but if anyone knows the Window mod address or values, that would be helpful. Thanks. I'm so ready to be done trying to crack this stupid value. *sigh*
Window Modifier
30199878 00??

---------------------------------------------------

If you have any request you can ask of what you want here :wink:
Tirriou

Post by Tirriou »

I was wondering, is there any codes to trick both 1 and 2 into thinking Stallion is in the party, just so I get the faster moving character as this helps, been wondering about that for years.

The other query was I see threads on the Clive subquest already but I was a little confused - I want to playthrough the game normally and get all 108 but still do the subquest, but I also want legit times and not reset time to reach each version. is there an easy way to keep the time and still do the subquests that isn't complicated? i.e if I could be told where on a save to hex edit the time so I can enable the trigger, play the scene then hex edit the code back.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

There's an always dash code for 1: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... hilit=holy

It's a little hard to find that thread. Nobody ever reported their experiences with it, so no confirmation if the odd inconsistency I saw was just an emulator thing, or something else. It'll probably be fine if you load with it on.

I don't recall if anything like that was done for 2. It'd most likely be somewhere in this thread if it exists.

As to the time issue, the save hacking guide on GameFAQs should suffice for that. I didn't reread it, but I think all the offsets are based purely on a dump of a single save from a Dex Drive backup or something like that. You may have to do a little work to make the offsets work for you, if you're planning to edit an entire memory card file, or an emulator save state.
Tirriou

Post by Tirriou »

Thanks, I will give it a try when I next play, I keep putting it off due to other things in life but getting more and more urge to play.
Tirriou

Post by Tirriou »

When testing, the only issue so far is if its on before you enter the game i.e when its booting it glitches out the Konami and intro fmv's

I did find a code online that works but rather than just be on when pressing the circle button its always on so can be difficult to control sometimes.