WTF moments of Suikoden II

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Raou

Re: WTF moments of Suikoden II

Post by Raou »

I can finally contribute to this. It wasn't so much of a technical error as it was poor rune planning.

Luca Blight attempts to assault my Albedo Castle in the middle of the night. I've my groups set up a certain way, with Flik's group managing to knock off a good bit of health with all members standing at the end. Next came Viktor's group with consisted of:

Viktor:Shin:Sheena
Ellie:Nanami (W/Spark):Viki

Now, I wanted to wipe out the knights that came with Luca and had put a Fire rune on one of my characters, not taking into account I had read this character has a fairly good chance of having it backfire on her. As the fight went into it the end of the first round, Viki went last and cast explosion....

And down Sheena and Viki went. My face was something like this: O_p....
I laughed, seeing as Viktor was shaving off at least 500 a pop with Double-Beat and Double-Strike equipped with high armor (as I could).

But..actually SEEING Viki backfire was....my WTF moment.

Also, at the Muse 'peace treaty' with Jowy....What's with Teresa getting all self-righteous about not 'living up to their expectations'? I could've sworn that was a line for Jowy.
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

This was my WTF moment, since I know, that it´s a Highland soldier´s line, but it still says "Mercenary soldier." This happens when you try to get closer to those soldiers from the position seen in the picture at the time of the first and the second war you get involved.

BTW, that barrel, which says something like "h, hey go over there" that thing is not Gadget, 'cause Gadget is always hanging out at the docks.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Raou wrote:
Also, at the Muse 'peace treaty' with Jowy....What's with Teresa getting all self-righteous about not 'living up to their expectations'? I could've sworn that was a line for Jowy.
It was Jowy's line. I guess it got translated poorly and they put it with Teresa's portrait, so really that should be read as Jowy. But yeah, the conference has some issues.
agares_thefool

Post by agares_thefool »

My WTF moment is when Viktor confronts Star Dragon Sword at the Cave of the Wind, I believed he said, You worthless piece of scrap metal! And when I saw that scene at North Sparrow Pass, my friend said the whole scene with Rina and the guard is available at Suikogaden ep. 1. WTF is that true? Please verify.
You do not thump people with a legendary sword like me! -Star Dragon Sword
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

When Level 2 Riou counter-attacked a Highland Commander at the start of the game!

At that point, there's only 1 in 200 chance of that happening. Seriously.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.
Belle

Post by Belle »

ninjaluc79 wrote:When Level 2 Riou counter-attacked a Highland Commander at the start of the game!

At that point, there's only 1 in 200 chance of that happening. Seriously.
Haha. That kind of reminds me of the time one of the Muse refugees units took out a Highland unit, despite the refugees having an attack stat of 1, and the Highland unit having... well, an attack of much higher than 1.

I also liked the battles at the Merc fortress, specifically the second battle with the fire spear. I remember my group was still creaming the other side, and then this happened:

Viktor unit: *successfully damages a Highland unit with the fire spears*
Viktor: Damn! The fire spears aren't working anymore!

Could've fooled me.
RPG Seeker

Post by RPG Seeker »

Being woken by Shiro just before recruiting Kiba and Klaus.
nach0king

Post by nach0king »

Necroposting but I think I'm replaying S2 for the first time in probably a decade and having just got to Radat Town, I think I've failed to advance the plot in the castle enough, because I'm getting "Please accept the job." Perhaps I need to speak to Apple once more to push the game forward, and maybe that's where this comes from: an internal note to testers to 'complete the job' - that is, complete a prerequisite - before continuing.

At least I hope so!

Edit: Yep, that's what it was! I'd picked "Let's run away" in the dialog with Viktor. You have to instead opt to stay and fight. Then that triggers Apple's motivational speech, and you can advance. Ha! Mystery solved?
Do you have business in my vault?
CookieSkoon

Post by CookieSkoon »

Suikoden II has a hilariously poor localization. Not through lack of care or talent, rather a lack of time and laziness on the part of Konami's heads of state (shock of all shocks). The dialogue, so to speak, was delivered in a severely messy condition with no guides to assist the translators at all. They had to shoot from the hip because Konami was and is still run by flat brain profit fetishists.

It did, however, lead to a lot of unintentionally baffling yet genuinely funny moments in my opinion. Though it took me several plays to finally piece together each instance of misplaced character dialogue (there are several occurrences of character X saying Character Y's line).

But hey, it's still better than Breath of Fire II's localization!
Would really love a faithful (still in 2D) remake of the first two Suikoden titles. Too bad Konami is... Konami.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Eh, for what it's worth, there aren't many (any?) actual instances of one character saying another's line. The most commonly cited occurrences are just due to translation errors where the original Japanese was somewhat ambiguous without fully understanding its context.

The way the game's scripting works, the localization team would have had to reorder things they had no earthly reason to touch in order to get the wrong character assigned to a particular line of dialogue. And from the anecdotes I've heard about their methodology, it doesn't sound like the translators were given much access to anything apart from disjointed blocks of text.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

I remember from an interview where they were literally dumped with the whole dialogue script with no context whatsoever, and picking up things from there.
OneRune

Post by OneRune »

I thought it was weird when Pilika climbed under Jowy's covers to wake him up, and he says something like "Ooohh..." Yes, I have a demented mind but.. it just looked so wrong!!
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

OneRune wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:06 am I thought it was weird when Pilika climbed under Jowy's covers to wake him up, and he says something like "Ooohh..." Yes, I have a demented mind but.. it just looked so wrong!!
Lmao! I remember being a little weirded out after seeing that scene as well. As a kid, i was oblivious, but replaying the game as an adult, i was kinda like "that doesn't look right." Lol