Stuff cut from Suikoden II

If you are stuck in the Dunan Unification Wars; or wish for more details on the gameplay systems, this is the place.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Stuff cut from Suikoden II

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Some interesting tidbits that exist in the script, sometimes only in the Japanese version but surprisingly often actually localized that I haven't seen mentioned much, if at all.

In no particular order:

- There are two barrels containing gunpowder behind the tavern in Radat. This shouldn't be possible, gunpowder is only known to the Howling Voice Guild and they'll kill anyone who tries to steal it. These are actually still in the game, though there's no way to access them without a walk-trough-walls code though cause the area is completely cut off from normal paths.

- Stallion was meant to be recruited at Greenhill at some point. The recruitment event is exactly the same as in Radat, except his initial dialouge. There doesn't appear to be any instance of Greenhill where Stallion is there, unlike L.C.Chan in Matilda which can be accessed by the Matilda Glitch, there's no sequence break that appears to load Stallion in Greenhill at all.
"Eh? What's up? See something strange?
Oh, I get it... there aren't any elves around here, are there...
Me? Call me Stallion. I'm the fastest elf ever... when I'm running away, that is!
Now I'm training to become the fastest person in the world.
Man, are all the elves of the world locked up in secluded villages??
I haven't seen a single elf since starting this journey...
Oh, uh, sorry...
Did you need something...?"

- Templeton has lines for the Greenhill mission for some reason, despite not being a party member. All party lines for this event are really generic and there's little to differentiate his from the others, until you get to the one that remains as a placeholder and just reads "Templeton #7". This is the only unfinished line for this so why they stopped here is a bit of a mystery, presumably they realized it was wasted effort since he can't be brought?

- Originally you were supposed to come up with fake names for everyone during the Greenhill mission because the line "Please choose names for the remaining party members." exists in the script but is never called. Probably cut because it'd be fairly pointless given how little use the fake names you do come up with get.

- The party was supposed to speak during the fight with Luca Blight. Exactly where is not entirely clear, either they would say something when you kill him or (less likely) you were supposed to be able to put anyone in charge of the two first parties, not just Viktor and Flik. Sadly none of the lines were ever written so this was apparently scrapped early on, only the framework for loading in the characters remains with placeholders with their names, like Templeton in Greenhill.

- The path between Tigermouth and Dragonmouth villages has a name, そうとうとうげ which means Twin Head Pass. This name is never actually displayed in game, it just exists in the files as the area name and a save location descriptor (despite not being able to save here). Konami themselves have apparently forgotten about this as the pass is simply referred to as Tinto Pass in most publications.

- At least one character from Suikoden I was supposed to greet Humphrey during the Dragon Quest events, like with Tengaar and Hix essentially, there are two lines of *someone* greeting him with a response of ".........." per usual, but no indication of who is speaking. Unlike Hix and Tengaar however, there are no other lines for this event, which means it only applies to one character.

Or more likely, since it appears to be unused, it was never finished.
"It's great to see you again, Sir Humphrey.
I never thought we'd be reunited at a place like this!"

"..........."

"You're as tight-lipped as ever!
But I'm glad you haven't changed."

"..........."

- There are two additional lines before the fight with the Harpy on Mt. Rakutei in the script that never get shown in the game. In the game the Harpy appear after Humphrey says "Wait!" and then the fight begins, in the script it goes:
Humphrey: "Wait!"
Futch: "Sir Humphrey, what happened..."
Humphrey: "It's coming.
I think it wants food."

- Viki has lines for a failed teleportation sequence that are never used. It most likely exists to cut off teleportation for plot reasons but just never ended up being used. Translation is kind of rough as well.
"Leave it to me, farewell.....
Ei!!!"

"Huh???
I can't do it.
Someonething's preventing me.
Should I try again?"

- There are lines suggesting Dr. Huan was meant to missable, for the events involving Nanami at Rockaxe and in HQ infirmary there is a line specifically for Dr. Huan and one for a generic doctor. They say the same thing, just one mentions Huan by name and the other just mentions the doctor.

The interesting thing is that the game is actually using the wrong line in Rockaxe, the script has a line that reads "And you! Call Dr. Huan! NOW!!!" but accidentally uses the generic line instead.

- An unused bit of the script for the Cook-offs side story reveals that Barbara wasn't actually poisoned, the drug just put her to sleep.
In the game, even if you lose the competition you're given the antidote but it appears they orginally had a different way of resolving this, it's poorly translated but not surprising as they never would have seen the full context.
Barbara: "Whew, that surprised me. What was that anyway?"
Unknown 1: "Barbara!!!
Unknown 2: "Lady Barbara!!!"
Barbara: "What is it?..... All of a sudden, I'm so sleepy."
Hai Yo: "R, really..... So it wasn't poison after all. It was just a sleeping potion, eh."
Barbara: "Well that was a nice nap. Time to be getting' off to work, I guess."

- Gilbert had some more motivation for joining Highland originally, his line when you recruit him actually calls back to it. It was translated as "I guess this is... fate." but more accurately he says "I guess this is... another fate."

There are two cut lines at the start of the battle that explain this line. An unknown person, presumably a Highlander or Solon Jhee himself, says "Your fate is sealed. You can either join my army or you can die in vain here."
Gilbert responds "Are those the only options? Can't say I'm particulary fond of either fate."

So Gilbert's line when you recruit refers to him finding his third option. No clue why this was cut, pacing maybe or they wanted it kept more mysterious, but it does explain why a supposedly honorable man like him joined Highland at all.

- There's a longer exchange between the Highlanders during the battle with Solon Jhee at North Window. Culgan and Seed realize the battle is lost and pull out before Solon does, which leads directly in to the line that the generic Highlander has.
Culgan: This is getting pretty bad.
We should fall back before we're completely surrounded.
Seed, let's go back!

Seed: Bah, this is a losing battle anyway.
That's what happens when you have an incompetent in charge.

Solon Jhee: You bastards!
Where do you think you're going!?!

Highlander: Lord Jhee, it's no use. At this rate we'll be surrounded ourselves...

This might have been cut because it technically has Culgan and Seed disobeying orders but it also does some leg work to establish that Solon isn't a very good commander. Could also have been cut because you might have already removed Culgan and Seed in battle, but that happens at other points in the game and the scenes just play anyway.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
JiN88

Re: Stuff cut from Suikoden II

Post by JiN88 »

Interesting. I didn't know about those. There are some more so I'll add to it.

During the early event when you were sent to get Flint, Boots, and Flour. There are lines suggesting you get to have an option to choose how many flour to take instead of them just giving 1 to you, as well as lines if you don't have enough Flour.

80110ff4 031: "Huh? Flour?{eol}How many bags do you want?"
80111020 032: "1 bag is fine."
80111034 033: "2 bags please."
80111048 034: "3 bags...please..."
80111060 035: "Here you go.{eol}I`ll pick up the money later, {eol}so don`t won`t worry."
801110a4 036: "Okay let`s see...{eol}Ooops. Not enough boots.{eol}Go back again."
801110e0 037: "Okay let`s see...{eol}Ooops. Not enough flour.{eol}Go back again."
8011111c 038: "Okay give it here.{eol}2 pairs of boots, {eol}2 bags of flour and...{eol}2 flints, I think. Good job."
80111178 039: "Okay give it here.{eol}2 pairs of boots,{eol}2 bags of flour and...{eol}1 flint, I think. Good job."
801111d4 040: "Okay give it here.{eol}2 pairs of boots, 2 bags of flour {eol}and...that`s it, I think. {eol}Good job."

80112d8c 144: "Okay hand it over.{eol}2 pairs of boots, 1 flint, right? {eol}And....Huh? What about the flour?"
80112de8 145: "Okay hand it over.{eol}2 pairs of boots...and um....{eol}Oh, that`s right, flour.{eol}Where`s the flour?"

Then there's the Demo ending Squirrel.
http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =9&t=11622

What is weird about that room is there are 3-4 maids covering Riou depending on how the room was loaded.
http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=331

Then there was a whole event involving Gengen and Gabocha, something about doing a quest and getting an item. If I were to guess it's Dog Whistle, because a special unite item would make better sense if collected through a quest and not a minigame.
http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=615

And the weirdest one I have no idea on is M_EAT.STR
https://youtu.be/WPycKcKomwI

In the JP demo game files there is a FMV listed as M_EAT.STR. Going by the next entry which is M_FIR.STR (for Final Flame opening FMV (Fire rune) that you can see in the Fire Rage Rune video), it's suggested to be for a Rune for either Earth Rune or Soul Eater Rune (Earth is more likely based on how it looks).

In the JP completed version and all version to the latest PSP version (2010) it has it listed as ROCK.STR. It was thought to be for the Sajah Rock opening but looking at this it might not be the case. Omnigamer did suggest it was a FMV for a different game when in development but there doesn't seem to be any thing to suggest that.

I remember a rumor: When you get Viki to accidentally teleport you to Radat inn you get to access the 2nd floor that was blocked by an NPC. There is another room there which an NPC would appear to chase you away if you get too close. The rumor was that there was a planned quest but was cut. Don't remember where I read it since it was so long ago.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Raww Le Klueze wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:40 am - The path between Tigermouth and Dragonmouth villages has a name, そうとうとうげ which means Twin Head Pass. This name is never actually displayed in game, it just exists in the files as the area name and a save location descriptor (despite not being able to save here). Konami themselves have apparently forgotten about this as the pass is simply referred to as Tinto Pass in most publications.
Small addition - the location name is in kanji: 双頭峠. The save file names don't seem to ever use kanji.

Good stuff! (*'-')b
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Pretty cool dude. I love how you guys keep finding stuff in these games. Very interesting to see
TheyCallMeStacy

Post by TheyCallMeStacy »

Nice finds! It's always fun to ponder what the developers had in mind when making the game, especially with Eiyuden coming out.

I think Stallion played a role in protecting Greenhill during Suikogaiden, so it would make sense he would be there. But I think maybe he got moved to Radat because after you visit Greenhill the first time for the story you can't re-enter. Thus, if you missed him then you would spend quite a lot of the game not being able to get him, which could annoy many players. Of course there are other characters this happens with, like Emilia and Humphrey and Futch in Matilda, but given Stallion has some nice gameplay utility with his Godspeed rune, it would be annoying to force players to not have access to it for a while if they failed to get him the first time.

I like how much Suikoden 2 gives even optional party members dialogue during certain plot events - even the sequels oftentimes don't have much changes in dialogue for optional characters. I wish they did complete this dialogue to flesh out the optional party members more.

I think Flik or Viktor greeting Humphrey would make the most sense, since they along with him are members of the original Liberation Army with Odessa, so they share a bond that would extend beyond the typical camaraderie of being in the Liberation Army under Tir. It's cool to see that characters from Suikoden 1 are friendly with Hix and Tengaar even if they didn't interact onscreen during Suikoden 1, so it would have been cool to see more characters having similar dialogue with Humphrey. Though maybe in a way not having such dialogue makes sense since with his taciturn nature, he wouldn't be very overtly friendly or chatty with many Suikoden 1 characters.

And hehe I know during certain plot events during Suikoden V Viki will be sleeping so you can't teleport out if you aren't supposed to. Has anyone tried to use Viki when you are supposed to meet Koyu at the entrance to your castle? I wonder if the game lets you use her.

And interesting. I know originally in Suikoden 1 Kasumi was meant to die during the story, but this was changed later. It would be interesting if Huan was also meant to be killable, either through the story, or in major battles.

It's unfortunate translation issues can seriously change plot points, like the sleeping potion and Barbara. Though in a way I guess this change makes the Black Dragon Group more consistent with their brutality. If Jinkai was willing to kill Shun Min for the recipe, it's not a stretch to think he would be okay with poisoning a friend of Hai Yo to force him to compete in a cook off so they can get their hands on it.

And I liked the original dialogue with Gilbert, showing he has more honor even as a mercenary. Additionally, it would also make his willingness to switch sides make much more sense, since if he was forced or threatened into fighting for Highland in the first place, he wouldn't fight to the death for Highland.

And yeah, the game definitely portrays Seed and Culgan as more reasonable and level headed, so having them directly disobey Solon Jhee may have interfered with that characterization. Also, Luca would probably have punished them severely for such actions, so maybe it's better these lines were not included.
Last edited by TheyCallMeStacy on Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
alberto90

Post by alberto90 »

TheyCallMeStacy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:48 am And interesting. I know originally in Suikoden 1 Kasumi was meant to due during the story, but this was changed later. It would be interesting if Huan was also meant to be killable, either through the story, or in major battles.
That IS pretty interesting, I didn't know that. Not sure how I feel about it either, glad it was cut haha
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

alberto90 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:13 am
TheyCallMeStacy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:48 am And interesting. I know originally in Suikoden 1 Kasumi was meant to due during the story, but this was changed later. It would be interesting if Huan was also meant to be killable, either through the story, or in major battles.
That IS pretty interesting, I didn't know that. Not sure how I feel about it either, glad it was cut haha
In combination with other cut stuff and certain events in Suikoden 2 when Kasumi meets Mcdohl, they were suggested to have romantic interest with each other.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Some other stuff that came up but I forgot about:

- There are lines for doubling up in Chinchirorin, as in double or nothing like you can do in Suikoden I, it appears unfinished so it was probably scrapped early on, possibly they considered the way people used Gaspar to fund their armies to be too easy but it's a feature that would have been nice to have.

- Kiba has an additional line before wondering why Rowd and the Fourth Army aren't coming to their aid in the war battle where you defeat him. Probably removed for redundancy? Don't have access to the localized lines for these, only the original Japanese.
Damn it...
Ridley's betrayal of them was a ruse all along...
Send word to Rowd and the Fourth Army!
We need reinforcements so we can fall back safely!!!

- Luc and Sasarai have more dialouge when they meet on the battlefield in Radat while trying to save Ridley. Possibly this would only trigger if you get Luc to attack Sasarai? But the battle is so difficult to even get to last long enough to save Ridley I can't really see how'd you go about it so it's probably removed for that reason and it's not terribly important.
Luc: Long time no see... Or should I say "nice to meet you"?
Sasarai: W-who are you?!
Luc: Hmph.
What do you mean "who am I"?
I'm the one person in the world that's closer to you than anyone else.
Though being the closest to you is the same as being the furthest away.
Soldier: Lord Sasarai?
Is something wrong?
Sasarai: Uuugh... I feel sick.
Fall back.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

The Luc and Sasarai dialouge is pretty cool. Sad we'll never get a Suikoden centered around Harmonia. So much out there and we'll never have a chance to explore it.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

I found this a while back but didn't have a reason to post it since it's more of a passing curiosity than any; I was playing around the camera to see what's there to see.

https://imgur.com/el1kuo7

At the world map of the first area (near mercenary fortress/ Radat/ etc..), going into battle and manipulating the camera to the right side there's some texture there. It's ever unlikely the camera would ever reach there anyway so they just left it as is; It's more likely to be a remnant when devs where designing the area.

Other battle areas of the world map does not seem to have it. The image was from the JP demo but the final version has it as well.

https://imgur.com/cOD86HC

The battle area to overtake Greenhill seem to be a bit longer on the right side. Can't help but wonder if there was suppose to be something popping out there.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

I was decluttering my laptop after a hefty annoyance with Ransonware and found these images. They were from an old post before:

https://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/view ... 22#p159768

Did we ever get any new ideas about them?

Edit: Don't know why but I attached some more than once.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JiN88 on Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

General consensus is that they are assumed to be part of the scrapped summoning system they were planning to have that eventually became the Blue Gate Rune. Some of the sprites, like the fox from the Open Gate spell, were re-used for that but those appear to have been left over.

Early artwork really close to the red/black striped guy exists in the 108 Stars Character Guide and is listed as a Fire Spirit. There's also art for spirits of the other elements, they're not particulary close looking though but few characters resemble their earliest concepts, the four-armed lady could be derived from the Wind Spirit art but the guy with the horns looks more like a mix of the Lightning and Earth concept art.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfE7SHY75n0

Turns out Sierra has a waking up animation. It was mentioned in an old forum about her sprites and was thought to be a scrapped idea since no one has ever seen it activated. Still don't know if there are any requirements though.

Also,
PSOGL2_009.jpg
I managed to get this out and it turns out to be for smoke animation. I replayed the burning/escape of the mercenary fortress section and didn't see it. Does anyone know if it was ever used?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KingSpilly

Post by KingSpilly »

JiN88 wrote: Also,
PSOGL2_009.jpg
I managed to get this out and it turns out to be for smoke animation. I replayed the burning/escape of the mercenary fortress section and didn't see it. Does anyone know if it was ever used?
The shape of the smoke looks nearly identical to when Jowy lights the oily rag. Maybe it's an early, opaque version of that smoke?
"I'm a deeply flawed individual, but I bring joy to the world." -Tequila Sunset
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

KingSpilly wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:15 pm
The shape of the smoke looks nearly identical to when Jowy lights the oily rag. Maybe it's an early, opaque version of that smoke?
Yep you're right. I checked. The game actually has the darker version first but I think it changes colour when loaded.