Odessa and Flik Question

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
JuveLeo

Odessa and Flik Question

Post by JuveLeo »

Replaying Suikoden 1 for the hundredth time and i always wondered, were they ever in a official relationship? I don't think it has ever been mentioned in game. I mean, it's obvious Flik is in love with her, but did she ever feel the same?
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Odessa and Flik Question

Post by wataru14 »

Yes they were. I believe it is confirmed in side materials. Also, when she dies she says "tell him his kindness always saw me through hard times." I don't think that's something she would say to a "friend."
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

Side materials? As in Mangas and that sort of stuff?
Well, i think that's something you could say to a close friend. He could have just been there for her during difficult times.. maybe consoling her in hoping she could see that Flik liked her.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

When I say side materials, I mean official publications like the Kiwami Encyclopedia or the Genso Shinshos. Not the mangas.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

In Suikoden 2, during one of the balcony scenes between Flik and Nina, Flik tells Nina "Odessa wasn't just my lover... She was the only person I ever really looked up to." That means they were shagging.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

wataru14 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:04 am When I say side materials, I mean official publications like the Kiwami Encyclopedia or the Genso Shinshos. Not the mangas.
Ahh, thanks for clarifying mate. I didn't know what you meant
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

sticky-runes wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:34 am In Suikoden 2, during one of the balcony scenes between Flik and Nina, Flik tells Nina "Odessa wasn't just my lover... She was the only person I ever really looked up to." That means they were shagging.
Fair enough. I forgot him saying that. It's been a while since i played Suikoden 2.

I guess Odessa never showed any emotion or acknowledged it because she was the leader of the Liberation Army. I suppose it would be a tad silly to be all lovey dovey around your soldiers, lol.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Their intimacy would have been kept private. Her soldiers are there to fight and possibly die horribly in a war of rebelion against a corrupt government, not bear witness to Odessa's love life.

She even spoke to Flik in front of the others as if he were a colleague and comrade rather than a boyfriend. This probably did upset Flik, but her words "It's time you started thinking like a leader" come back to haunt him, because it's their role as soldiers, not lovers, that had to come first.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

I figured much. That makes sense. I wouldn't want to take orders from someone who isn't taking the situation at hand serious.

Odessa is a interesting character to me though. Would have loved to see more backstory from her point of view.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

I think what Flik goes through in the first game is quite fascinating as well.

He probably imagined himself at Odessa's side leading the liberation army to victory, yet she died without him even having a chance to say goodbye, he shuns Tir as the new leader, then realises he's not the right man to lead the army after he pushes them to attack milich's castle without scouting ahead or coming up with a plan. Then he finally learns to accept Tir as leader when he sees him leading the army with poise after losing Gremio.

The game makes me feel Flik's attitude towards others and his disappointment in himself time and again, then the scene where he confronts Sanchez is one of the most emotional moments in the series. Then right at the end when he stays behind to fight the imperials and says he's not ready to die yet, and his reunion with Odessa can wait until he's a better man. He learns to accept that things don't turn out the way he'd hoped, and there's just so many important messages in his story.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

I agree, he's a great character. He definitely had some of the most emotional and heart breaking scenes in Suikoden 1. His character development was great as well from 1 through 2. He learned a great deal and matured so much.