Been thinking about Sanchez (spoilers?)...

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
mpieco

Been thinking about Sanchez (spoilers?)...

Post by mpieco »

Like most of you here probably, I've found myself with a lot more time on my hands and decided to replay Suikoden. Not sure if one can really label spoilers for a game that's been out for 25 years, but I will be giving away a significant twist to the game.

I tend to overthink things (e.g. I love to try and guess twists/plot lines in movies as I watch them). I've been thinking a lot about Sanchez's betrayal. We learn he was an Imperial spy working for the emperor during the Floating Fortress/Sonya storyline. My question is this--with all the generals that ultimately joined your cause throughout the game before this reveal (Valeria, Kwanda, Milich, Alen/Grenseal, Kasim), wouldn't it be likely that at least ONE of them knew about Sanchez's role and therefore would have revealed it sooner? I think of someone like Milich especially, who was very willing to join the cause (the others were a bit more hesitant).

Has anyone ever considered this before? Like I said, I'm definitely an overthinker, but I was wondering if anyone had wondered why Sanchez as a spy wasn't revealed sooner with some of those imperials who joined the cause.
Rein

Re: Been thinking about Sanchez (spoilers?)...

Post by Rein »

Generals are probably separate from an intelligence agency. A spy needs to be a spy and inside a closed network.
mpieco

Post by mpieco »

Yeah, that's fair. Like I said, I really analyze things, haha. In all the years I've played and read forums about game, I've never seen that discussed/theorized. I just thought with all the generals joining your cause, someone might have/must have known about Sanchez's true identity/affiliation. But a mole like Sanchez going that deep undercover was probably kept quiet.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Don't forget Humphrey was also a former Imperial soldier, and Sanchez was right under his nose from when we first met the Liberation Army.

All the other former Imperials were very open about their betrayel. Humphrey directly attacked his commanding officer after the Kalekka incident. Valeria didn't even bother to change out of her uniform when she went to warn the elves about the Imperials plans to exterminate them. Alen and Grenseal joined our cause out of loyalty to Teo's dying wishes. Kwanda and Milich were being controlled by Windy's black magic, probably because she knew they could easilly have defected if they were beaten.

Only Griffith seems to be aware that there is a spy in our ranks, but obviously was not informed that it was Sanchez, he was just told there was a spy passing on information.

So with the risk of all these soldiers being defeated and captured and turning against the emperor, there's a high chance Sanchez' cover could have been blown, and so his identity was kept absolutely secret from as many Imperials as possible.

And now you've got me overthinking! :lol: