Cut Content

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Cut Content

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Edit: For easier access you can now use this nifty guide instead of reading through the topic to see all we know.

These were discovered a while back and the plan was to assemble some sort of "cut content" guide but eh... there's really not much of it that we can find so this will have to do instead. Most of the credit goes to Celes for finding it. All of this exists translated on the disc as the translator had no way of knowing what text was actually used and thus translated all of it.

- Death of Kasumi -

Though Kasumi cannot die in the finished game since the Ninjas can't die in war battles at some point they apparently considered it a possibility that you could lose her as this unused line by Hanzo demonstrates.
By the way, Commander McDohl, I don't see Kasumi...

I see. Let us say it was the fate of a ninja.
This would have replaced Hanzo's line to Kasumi when you meet him towards the end of the game outside Gregminster if Kasumi was dead.

- Expanded Banquet -

After Varkas and Sydonia join up there's a banquet to celebrate but only a select few attend. Though it appears at some point all mandatory recruits were supposed to attend, not just some, as there's lines for all of them.
Camille - That tall one's cooking is pretty good.
I should put him to work somewhere as repayment of the money I'm owed.

Yam Koo - Big Brother acts without thinking, so I always have to watch out for him.

Giovanni - Phew. I followed my Master here, but I never thought I'd end up living with bandits.

Krin - These silver plates should be worth quite a bit.
Think I'll take one.

Luc - Master McDohl, the men you've recruited are useless.

Juppo - My goodness, eating too much? How pathetic, you fool.
Gremio also appears to have an additional line aside from his "Having fun, Young Master?"
Where are you off to, Young Master?
Going to bed already?
- Your own Five Great Generals? -

And finally it appears the original idea was for you to have more say in how your war units were set up as per this conversation by Mathiu:
But the core Imperial Army is still in excellent shape.
The time for battle is nearing.
To organize the Liberation Army in the most efficient way,
may I suggest we divide it into five battalions, appointing a general for each.

The five generals can then command each battalion.
Commander McDohl, please appoint the five generals
who will constitute the core of our army.
If this was supposed to work along with War system in the game or if they had grander plans for it originally but had to simplify it in the end, I could not say.

Note: I'm using McDohl as a placeholder name, the actual script calls to the user-entered name so it would have been Tir or whatever you named him if it was actually used.
Last edited by Raww Le Klueze on Sun May 15, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Cut Content

Post by wataru14 »

Great finds! Thanks!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Huh? Interesting. I suppose this isn't included in the game. Since there's no way Kasumi can die.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Yet more reasons we need a remake/remaster of Suikoden 1. Having the opportunity to choose your five generals would have been awesome.
And of course, seeing Kasumi dead.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Sasarai10 wrote:Huh? Interesting. I suppose this isn't included in the game. Since there's no way Kasumi can die.
It would be interesting to change it so she can die and see if the flags are still there.

I wonder how that 5 general system would have worked.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Yet more reasons we need a remake/remaster of Suikoden 1. Having the opportunity to choose your five generals would have been awesome.
And of course, seeing Kasumi dead.
You dislike Kasumi I guess?

But yeah, I agree a SI remastered version is needed. But honestly, I believe chances to happen are as much as to drop a Phero Rune. :lol:
Antimatzist wrote: It would be interesting to change it so she can die and see if the flags are still there.

I wonder how that 5 general system would have worked.
I have no idea, but maybe those characters would have some extra lines in the main plot? Personally I wonder if you could appoint characters like Qlon, Antonio or Lester as generals.
AlOnZo

Post by AlOnZo »

Wow. The five battalions would of been fantastic, it's a shame it never came to fruition.

Nice find!
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

It's difficult to tell how the five generals thing would have played out. Would there have been five major battles, one from each general's perspective? Would they let you decide what characters served under each general? Or would they have been group battles? Maybe the five would have joined Tir in a group battle against a boss, perhaps Yuber?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:It's difficult to tell how the five generals thing would have played out. Would there have been five major battles, one from each general's perspective? Would they let you decide what characters served under each general? Or would they have been group battles? Maybe the five would have joined Tir in a group battle against a boss, perhaps Yuber?
But Yuber was supposed to escape, no?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Sasarai10 wrote:
sticky-runes wrote:It's difficult to tell how the five generals thing would have played out. Would there have been five major battles, one from each general's perspective? Would they let you decide what characters served under each general? Or would they have been group battles? Maybe the five would have joined Tir in a group battle against a boss, perhaps Yuber?
But Yuber was supposed to escape, no?
Maybe we were meant to fight Yuber (or a monster that he summons like in S2) before he gives up and disappears like a pussy. Could be anything. It's called 'cut content' for a reason.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

The line about the 5 generals is preceded by these. Are they in the game?

Commander [McDohl], at this
time we have liberated most of
the Empire, leaving only the
Imperial capital.

The Liberation Army is
becoming comparable in force
to the core of the Imperial
Army, still remaining at the
capital.

Are these in he game as well? I cannot find them in a quick search. That'd mean that for the last battle, you would have nominated 5 generals, and I guess that just means you put your party of 6 together for the last attack. But then they decided to include Viktor and Flik in your last party.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Those lines are in the game right before the attack on Shasarazade. The first is Mathiu's, the second is Sanchez.

And it specifically says that they're to divide into 5 battalions so unless the translation is really wonky it's hard to interpret that as a single party. Possibly 5 different parties but that'd really be too much I think, quite possibly that could be the reason why it was removed. 3 was doable, like S2 and S5, but some playthroughs I still find myself struggling to fill all 3 parties with worthwhile characters, if I had to come up with 5...
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote: Maybe we were meant to fight Yuber (or a monster that he summons like in S2) before he gives up and disappears like a pussy. Could be anything. It's called 'cut content' for a reason.
Yeah, and Kanaan why not? He just vanishes without even having a line, unlike Yuber.

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Those lines are in the game right before the attack on Shasarazade. The first is Mathiu's, the second is Sanchez.

And it specifically says that they're to divide into 5 battalions so unless the translation is really wonky it's hard to interpret that as a single party. Possibly 5 different parties but that'd really be too much I think, quite possibly that could be the reason why it was removed. 3 was doable, like S2 and S5, but some playthroughs I still find myself struggling to fill all 3 parties with worthwhile characters, if I had to come up with 5...

So I guess when you're going to attack Gregminster you were supposed to split into 5 parties? That would be really interesting. Perhaps it would be like...

1st party VS Yuber (or a monster he summons)
2nd party VS Kanaan (he could be a boss, why not?)
3rd party VS Ain
4th party vs Gregminster guards
Final party (McDohl) vs Barbarosa

I suppose the other 4 parties would be Flik, Viktor, Humphrey and perhaps Mathiu (with Liukan). Well I'm just making assumptions.

But I think SI had more playable characters than other games (78 maybe?). Also SI is very easy as a game, so it won't be difficult to come up with 5 parties, even if you had only the non-optional characters.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

hmm... 5 parties would have been especially difficult if you haven't been recruiting the generals or if you've lost characters in other battles along the way. that leaves you with 20 or so decent fighters and possibly a bunch of craftsmen. Seems a bit hopeless if it's your first play through.

When it comes to attacking Shasarazade, the characters debate attacking Shazarazade or Kwaba. Could it be the designers were thinking of having our forces attacking several bases simultaneously before reaching Gregminster, but then changed it so that we end up using a dragon's breath to make a load of boats to attack only Shasarazade?

This discussion also happens just before the big night where all the characters are having their heart-to-hearts, so a more epic battle might have made the scenes a bit more poignant.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:hmm... 5 parties would have been especially difficult if you haven't been recruiting the generals or if you've lost characters in other battles along the way. that leaves you with 20 or so decent fighters and possibly a bunch of craftsmen. Seems a bit hopeless if it's your first play through.

When it comes to attacking Shasarazade, the characters debate attacking Shazarazade or Kwaba. Could it be the designers were thinking of having our forces attacking several bases simultaneously before reaching Gregminster, but then changed it so that we end up using a dragon's breath to make a load of boats to attack only Shasarazade?

This discussion also happens just before the big night where all the characters are having their heart-to-hearts, so a more epic battle might have made the scenes a bit more poignant.
Indeed, Kwaba was heavily overlooked. And Pirate Fortress as well, which was an optional area (at least in the PSX version). Sounds better if you made an alliance with the pirates, during the main story.

Another thing SI lacked was "meanwhile" scenes as well. It was pretty rushed that way.