Old Book Vol.10

A forum to ask questions if you are stuck in the The Gate Rune Wars; or wish for more clarity on the gameplay systems.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Old Book Vol.10

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

So, we knew there's a secret 9th book available in the Japanese versions of Suikoden, what wasn't as well known is that there's a Vol. 10 as well. Sort of.

There's no button combination to access this one that we can find, so it's more of a hidden programmer message in the file that contains the books and it's coded like a book but there's only one page.

Code: Select all

「のもひでお」

せんしゅ、
大リーグ
オールスター戦
先発出場
おめでとう
ございます。

"Nomo Hideo"

Congratulations on
starting the Major
League Baseball
All-Stars Game!

For those that don't know, Nomo Hideo was a Japanese Baseball player who started (was the starter? I don't understand baseball) in the 1995 Major League All-Stars game in the US, the same year Suikoden came out in Japan. Somone on the dev team was clearly a fan.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Old Book Vol.10

Post by Pyriel »

Saying "started" or "was the starter" are both fine. Pitchers (which Hideo was) get substituted a lot more often in baseball than other positions, so they're constantly referred to in that way. It's a little less common to talk about, say, the center fielder as a starter, but it still happens a fair bit.

The All-Star game is a special case, though. The game is really just for bragging rights, and a bit of fun. Substitutions are a lot more frequent, even with fielders.

Kind of a weird thing to hide. I can't imagine he ever saw it. Unless the person who put it there was family or something.
Julian

Post by Julian »

Yeah. The All-Stars game is basically, think of any league where you could pick players from various teams to create one "dream team" roster. That gets done through fan voting to create two teams, one for each of the two leagues in MLB. The game itself doesn't really mean anything, though. (It's "for fun"/bragging rights/etc.)

Due to that nature, both teams will cycle through and substitute players a lot more often than they would in a real game, so fans get to see everyone play.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Nomo apparently was the first Japanese to be elected to the All Star Game. Late congrats!
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Yeah, back then the media reported on Nomo almost every day in Japan. He was considered a hero by many.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Pyriel wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:48 amKind of a weird thing to hide. I can't imagine he ever saw it. Unless the person who put it there was family or something.
There's other stuff like that that seems like the intended person wouldn't have been able to see, the zombie in Neclord's castle has a marriage proposal that I can't find any way to trigger either, but was also removed from the localization and just repeats one of his other lines instead.
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

Ok, now I'm interested in that Marriage Proposal. What does it say and what are the details?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Can be found in ve3.bin and ve6.bin

かずこ、
ぼくは、かずこのことが
とーーっても
大すきです。
10年たっても
20年たっても
50年たっても
ずーっと、ずうーっと
大すきです。
・・・・・・・・・・・・・・
でへへ・・!
いままでどうもありがとう。
そして
これからもよろしくね!!
PS・
結婚しよう!!
チュッ!!

Kazuko
I really love Kazuko
Even after 10 years
Even after 20 years
Even after 50 years
I will always, always love her.
Teeheehee!
Thank you for always being there.
And
for always supporting me!
PS
Let's get married!
Mwah!
JiN88

Post by JiN88 »

I have always suspected that zombie had some secrets outside being a snitch.

Well I did mess around and see what is there in that area. Using Vram and seeing what is loaded, there apparently is a different food/dish and a pointing-down fork loaded but no idea where or how they're suppose to appear. There is one room, the kitchen, that has food/dish on the table and a pointing-up fork; the dish/food in question is different and the mysterious fork is pointing down.

Probably irrelevant but only today I realized there is a bribe glitch, and when facing Neclord if you don't select anyone to do anything, Viktor will still attack swinging his sword.

Do you have a memory save state for the JP version? or was the text removed but the trigger still unknown?
Julian

Post by Julian »

I just checked the NA PS1 version, they replaced this text with a repeat of
"Yuk yuk, you're very generous.
OK, don't tell anyone.

Yuk yuk, there are some
paintings in the 3rd floor
hall, and Master Neclord...
don't look!

...the second painting
from the right
...I said don't look!

...and then, the third one
from the right...stop looking!"
The last line, the "チュッ!!"/"Mwah!", they translated it as just "Yuk." It's the only "Yuk." in the file. (:

I'm not familiar enough with the S1 event script, so not sure if there's a trigger in there anywhere for these, but probably not.