PSX Emulator questions and topics

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Sniper_Zegai

PSX Emulator questions and topics

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

First of all.

SUIKOSOURCE DOES NOT ENDORSE OR CONDONE THE ILLEGAL USE OF EMULATORS OR GAMES. SUIKOSOURCE ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILTY FOR ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITY CARRIED OUT BY ITS MEMBERS. THANK YOU

Hi there sniper_zegai here and I've been getting alot of messages from people with a few nagging qeustions about how to get, setup and play suikoden 1 & 2 on a PSX emulator.

QUESTION 1 What's the best PSX emulator out there and how do I get it?

ePSXe is by far one of the best PSX emulators out there and you can find it here http://www.epsxe.com/download.php it has both a windows and a linux version and plays most if not all psx games.

QUESTION 2 I downloaded epsxe but it requires certain files to work how do I get them?

PSX emulators and games are'nt illegal unless you DONT OWN a psx or the game you wish to play. First you will need the BIOS files which can be retreived here http://psxemulation.tripod.com/id8.html download and un-zip these files to your "Bios" folder located wherever you downloaded the psx emulator. I will tell you how to config the BIOS files later.

Now for the plugins. These config both the sound and video for your emulator.

First the sound plugin http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/ps ... tools.html download Andy's SPU 0.16 this works well with suikoden. unzip this to your plugins folder located wherever you downloaded your psx file.

Then the video plugin http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm download the link under this heading: Pete's Windows OGL/D3D PSX GPUs
you can unzip this folder to your plugins folder.

QUESTION 3 Where can I find games?

This is a touchy subject and depends on your indivisual circimstances. PM me with your questions about games and how you download them.

QUESTION 4 I have the emulator, plugins and game files. What do I do?

For ePSXe bring up the psx window and click config and go to config wizard. There will be an automatic setup which will give you instructions. For BIOS select USA (recommended) BIOS, for sound select Andy's SPU Audio Driver 0.16 for Suikoden 2 and ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2 for Suikoden 1, and for video select Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.76. with this done you are ready to fine tune the video plugin and sound plugin.

VIDEO AND SOUND CONFIG HERE

For Sound go to config on your epsxe window and select sound. Tick Enable Sound and Enable XA sound. Then go to configure and then click Default. Thats the sound configured. This setting works for both of the sound drivers becuase ePSXe SPU core 1.5.2 plugin is auto configured.

Video is much harder. Do the same but select Video and then go on configure. These are the settings for the video.

Plugin: Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.1.76

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode

Textures:
- Filtering: 5
- Hi-Res textures: 1
- VRam size: 0 (Auto)

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 65.0

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 0
- Framebuffer access: 4
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: none

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Unfiltered FB: on
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Disable screensaver: on
- Game fixes: off

And that's that. Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with your questions. There are two glitches. After defeating Neclord there is sound glitch. Save your game after neclord and reload.

After defeating Yuber's monster there is a glitch with the sound yet again just repeat what you did with Neclord.

The CG cutscenes lag a little but they wont crash or anything so dont worry

Seeya.

P.S. THIS IS THE CONFIGURATION FOR SUIKODEN 2 AND ALTHOUGH IM TESTING IT WITH SUIKODEN 1, IF YOU EXPERIENCE PROBLEMS WITH THIS CONFIG FOR SUIKODEN 1 PM ME AND POST IT HERE SO I CAN LOOK INTO THE PROBLEM, THANK YOU

P.P.S. ALSO, I'M IN THE PROCESS OF FIGURING OUT HOW TO GET SUIKODEN 1 SAVE DATA LOADED IN SUIKODEN 2 WITH THE EMULATOR, SO IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT BE SURE TO EITHER POST OR PM ME, OR IF YOU HAVE A SOLUTION OF COURSE. THANKS AGAIN.
Last edited by Sniper_Zegai on Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:27 am, edited 7 times in total.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Iku

Post by Iku »

its really good! the intro is a bit scratchy but its barely noticable! thanks alot for this zegai, i know it must have been anoying having to find all these links and actually tell us how to do it! once again THANKS ( you saved me £150 ) :o
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

This took a solid day of fine tuning. I mean going through dozens of sound and video config. It was well worth it just for the chance to play suiko 2 again but Its all the better knowing people wont have to go through the crap I went through just to play the game they love.

It was my pleasure Iku.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

I actually couldn't save my Suikoden I game using ePSXe, but I could with PSXeven. IMO, PSXeven is even more easy to use than ePSXe. Just download the ePSXE+Plugins torrent, then transfer the plugins to the PSXeven.
Hmm... Didn't make much money. Next time, let's get rich! - Rachel
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Psxeven isn't compatable with alot of games. I have used Psxeven in the past in an attempt to play mortal kombat trilogy and it did not work. Although MK Trilogy did'nt work on ePSXe there was a good reason for the malfunction. I'm not trying to put anyone off using PSXeven but dont be to hopeful. The config I have laid out is good for Suikoden 2 as I said but has not been tried with many games. If you have a game that does'nt work on ePSXe I suggest trying other PSX emulators including psxeven but as I said dont be too hopeful there isn't a single PSX emulator out there that works perfectly.
linkerman88

Post by linkerman88 »

well .. i followed ur instructions but .. when i reach the confiq thingy part .. it told me to choose what BIOS thing .. It told me to choose something .. but there is nothing for me to click or choose

I downloaded everything u told me to ..
BlueMoonRune... Shine ur Etenal Light upon the Weaklings ...
Iku

Post by Iku »

you still need to download the game, use any download program e.g k-lite pro
then click run iso andes click the game file
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax
linkerman88

Post by linkerman88 »

i downloaded Suikoden2 for i think .. 6 - 7 hour ?
i try to run the game but .. nope .. i was unable to

It say i dun have the BIOS thingy which i already downloaded it .. and i also unzip it and it is in the folder ..
Iku

Post by Iku »

try try running ISO (thats how i did
linkerman88

Post by linkerman88 »

Im sorry, but what is ISO ??
im kinda "noob" in computer thingy..
Iku

Post by Iku »

oh its nothing complicated!!! load up the emulator, click file and a list will come up!on it itll say RUN BIO and few other options you should be able to see RUN ISO, if that doesnt work pm zegai hes normally on abot 7 ish :wink: (british time)
linkerman88

Post by linkerman88 »

Oh yeah .. i pm him already .. he told me to post my Question in the topic .. yeah .. im it now ..

btw .. yup i saw the run ISO .. but its say i cant run due to i havent finish with my setup/confiq .. but im stuck at the 2/7 step .. choose the BIOS thingy part .. i cant choose anything cos there is nth in the white box ..

oh wait !! im finaly finish with the setup.. cos i dint copy and paste the content in the BIOS thingy to the BIOS folder itself.. =( sorry to trouble u
and thanks !!

thank you so much for helping .. i appriciate it =)

Another question ..

How do i open the game i want ??
i downloaded suikoden2 but i cant play it ..
Iku

Post by Iku »

make its a bin file and run it on ISO that should work ,if its not a bin file it might not work! :o
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

hey there linkerman. Try not to double post use the edit button above your post's in the future because admins and mods will delete them otherwise.

Look at your file for Suikoden 2 it should be a winzip file (a.k.a. RAR, ZIP). Unzip it to your PSX folder. To do this double click on the file and win-zip/win-rar should come up and click on extract and select you psx folder. Once you have un-zipped it there should now be a single file. Right click on the file and select properties. It should say that it is a BIN file next to its file type and iits size should be exactly 480mb (513,907,296 bytes) dont worry if this number is'nt exact. the point is it should be roughly this size.

Now start ePSXe and select 'File" then 'Run ISO" and select your Suikoden 2 file (the un-zipped one) and it should start. The music on the opening movie will be a little jumpy but it should be fine if you have followed my config instructions above.

That should sort it out

P.S. If you dont have Win RAR ot Win ZIP, you can get Winrar here http://www.download.com/3000-2250-10007677.html it says its a 30 day trial but you can keep using it regardless. That should be that.
Last edited by Sniper_Zegai on Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
linkerman88

Post by linkerman88 »

U mean change the file type ? Its RAR type now ..
How do i change it to Bin ??