Suikoden I & II Coming to Steam, XBOXone, PS4, Switch

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
srd_27

Re: Suikoden I & II Coming to Steam, XBOXone, PS4, Switch

Post by srd_27 »

Speaking about prices, I'm worried that Konami will be a moron and have no regional pricing differences (some other Japanese devs stupidly did this as well). That will kill off any chance to grow the fanbase outside of NA/EU/JP.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

srd_27 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:38 am Speaking about prices, I'm worried that Konami will be a moron and have no regional pricing differences (some other Japanese devs stupidly did this as well). That will kill off any chance to grow the fanbase outside of NA/EU/JP.
This why I've always advocated for GoG, or Good Old Games as well. GoG has no regional pricing differences except to account for exchange rates and fees. But, we will have to work with what we have, won't we?

I think we can use this to recruit new fans outside of the US/EU/JP regions, and within them as well. Indonesia, for example, has been one of the most loyal and fertile places to find fans for the games. Many of them among the best of us. And yes, corporations are going to be greedy. This is a fact of life, I am afraid. But, we can use that greed to predict them and to bend them to our own will, too.

Goodness, the SRM's main goal was just to evoke the money on the table, and scream at Konami "TAKE IT, DAMNIT! Just give us Suikoden!" Right? We were always aware of corporate greed, and we chose to use it for what we wanted. It is not ideal; if I could snap my figures and make a world full of Suikoden and bereft of greed, I would have done so decades ago, I assure you. But I am not that powerful, I am afraid, my friend.

All we can do is work with what we have. And it's gonna be crazy, and we're gonna argue, and bicker and fight. And it will be alright. We need to come together to make the most of this.
DearShu

Post by DearShu »

Finally! After years of starving in a corner, Konami feeds us with some good news for the suikoden fans.

I have high hopes on the new upcoming remasters.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

Optimism isn't usually my strong point, but I'm going to be optimistic about this. I can't imagine that Konami would just make some new backgrounds and add a run feature to McDohl and call it a day. Well... I can, actually. But I'm going to choose not to until we see more of the finished product.
Dauntless07

Post by Dauntless07 »

I agree with Pyriel, some of you could use some healthy skepticism. I understand it’s been a long time since Konami touched anything Suikoden, but the fact of the matter is these are old games that most have had the opportunity to play. It’s very difficult to justify purchasing a game twice if all you’re doing is experiencing the same thing. We’ve already done everything that was worth doing, and tried every conceivable strategy. The community has already made substantial contributions to the games’ replayability, from Pyriel’s bugfixes to the Hard Mods, it’s clear Konami will need more than a mere copy-paste to match what has been available for years. I implore you to wait and see, so Konami will understand we have certain expectations for remasters, and they will need to meet at least some of them to earn our money.
whileheavenwept

Post by whileheavenwept »

Saw these on Reddit, looks like we'll have an option to trigger back and forth between the updated graphics and the original.

Bottom 3 options translate to Gallery, Language, an Digital Manual.

Original graphics with updated widescreen format

Debug menu highlighting switching to the classic backgrounds. Entire list translates to:
Game Mode: Classic
Language Select
Status
Characters
Items
Debug
Map Jump
Map Collision
Screen Effects
Event Select
BGM Stop
SE Stop
ENV ON
Save
Load
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Dauntless07 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:33 pm I agree with Pyriel, some of you could use some healthy skepticism. I understand it’s been a long time since Konami touched anything Suikoden, but the fact of the matter is these are old games that most have had the opportunity to play. It’s very difficult to justify purchasing a game twice if all you’re doing is experiencing the same thing.
"Have the opportunity to play." "Healthy Skepticism."

Good ideas. But they don't work in real life.

As far as skepticism, I know everything. I know who in Konami blacklisted Jim Sterling. I know who in Konami is sleeping with their co-worker's wives. I know who hates who, and who is feuding with who, etc.

I literally spent years of my free time investigating all this. For free. For no money and no reward. Yeah, corporations suck. Get over it.

As far as the games? well, let me think, how many times have I purchased Suikoden I? So, I got it out of a bargain bin originally, then, loaned it to a friend, who promptly broke it. I bought it again, about the time SII was coming out, and then had it and all my games stolen from me when I was overseas. Then I bought it a 3rd time for PSN on PS3, then, a fourth time because I found a cheap physical copy again. SII, three times, SIII, three times, SIV, three times, Tactics twice, SV, twice.

So, yeah, corporations gonna suck. I despise them, really. Konami was more or less a cesspool of nonsense. But so many people don't have any opportunity to play, and that is my point. This can help us greatly expand the number of people who have the opportunity to play the games.

Do you remember back when Konami fired Hideo Kojima? Jason Schierer broke the news that Konami had removed Kojima's name from their official posters for MGS: V Phantom Pain. I initially pushed back against that, because that very morning I had received a promotional email from Konami EU, that promoted MGS: V and had Kojima's name proudly on it. So, back and forth. It turns out that Jason was right, not me. And MGS: V was completed, but, Silent Hills was left on the table, and eventually scratched. Damnit Jason! lol.

In any event, It is true we need healthy skepticism. But also, we need to remain flexible and open-minded, too. Corporations gonna suck. Straight up. I know this well. But, you can't get anywhere correcting that behavior by simply being obstinate. Skepticism means taking a hard look at yourself, and your objective. Tell you what, I will just buy the games, and I will tell you all what I think. And I hope you can trust my word as a dyed-in-the-wool Suikoden fan lol. I think I have proven myself at this point.
gradeAbra

Post by gradeAbra »

Its good to see this forum is alive and so healthy even after 18 years. Look like this series really has some hardcore fans around the world keeping it alive. Looking forward to post here again with the series getting a remaster or even remake soon. Cheers
Grade"A"Brassiere
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Rooks wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:19 pm Konami was more or less a cesspool of nonsense. But so many people don't have any opportunity to play, and that is my point. This can help us greatly expand the number of people who have the opportunity to play the games.
Sorry, but I think this is naïve. Everybody has the opportunity to play the games via emulation, and emulators can run basically on anything nowadays. Building a retropie costs 50 bucks, modern smartphones can run emulators,... and as pointed out, fans (read: Pyriel, but also others) devoted their free time to enhance these games.

I think these remasters are a great possibility to maybe bring these games to a new generation.of players and show.Konami that there's still substantial interest in the game. But for this to happen these remasters should be a definite version with as many enhancements and as few bugs as possible. I'll buy it day one, but I just don't think Konami will deliver this best product. At least from the first looks from the leaked version, it seems to be a very superficial remaster. Which I guess is OK, but it won't attract a lot of new fans. I just hope that modding will be easy and people will be able to enhance the experience for everyone.
srd_27

Post by srd_27 »

Rooks wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:51 pm
srd_27 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:38 am Speaking about prices, I'm worried that Konami will be a moron and have no regional pricing differences (some other Japanese devs stupidly did this as well). That will kill off any chance to grow the fanbase outside of NA/EU/JP.
This why I've always advocated for GoG, or Good Old Games as well. GoG has no regional pricing differences except to account for exchange rates and fees. But, we will have to work with what we have, won't we?

I think we can use this to recruit new fans outside of the US/EU/JP regions, and within them as well. Indonesia, for example, has been one of the most loyal and fertile places to find fans for the games. Many of them among the best of us. And yes, corporations are going to be greedy. This is a fact of life, I am afraid. But, we can use that greed to predict them and to bend them to our own will, too.
My point is that, if Konami priced this remaster at $60 for all regions, then forget about growing the fanbase outside of the US/EU/JP regions. No casual player will pay 10% of their monthly salary just for a single video game.

Regional pricing is one reason why Steam have reduced a lot of piracy, by making it reasonable to access these games.
Xanderlise

Post by Xanderlise »

srd_27 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:30 pm
Rooks wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:51 pm

My point is that, if Konami priced this remaster at $60 for all regions, then forget about growing the fanbase outside of the US/EU/JP regions. No casual player will pay 10% of their monthly salary just for a single video game.

Regional pricing is one reason why Steam have reduced a lot of piracy, by making it reasonable to access these games.
Anyone making $600 a month should probably not be buying any game....jmo.

But over the last few years I have seen a Saga Frontier remaster, a new Brigandine, etc..... Im just happy old games are getting a litte something. I own hard copies of all the games and roms. But I will be glad to play this on my PS4 and I dont see whats wrong with the "rpg maker" graphics some are complaining about.
Dauntless07

Post by Dauntless07 »

I sincerely hope this ends up being the definitive version, but that’s up to Konami to do, not us. (At least until we see which versions can be modded, if any.) I am seriously looking for any indication of gameplay improvements to rationalize a purchase. Improved graphics is the bare minimum I expect for a remaster on a console 3 generations later. I remain optimistic Konami will deliver, but I still need to see for myself.
srd_27

Post by srd_27 »

Looking at Konami's other games on Steam, they do have regional pricing. Seems like I don't need to worry about this after all.
JuveLeo

Post by JuveLeo »

I highly doubt this will be the definitive version. Wasn't the Castlevania collection a mess? Konami has completely lost my trust, but I will still purchase these remasters in my support for Suikoden and hoping something else will come out of this if it succeeds sales wise.

Anyone know if there's a new Castlevania game in the works? The main reason they released that collection was because of Bloodstained's recent success. We all need to be wary of this. This can all be a simple cash grab for the Suikoden remasters. Nothing else
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

JuveLeo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:52 am I highly doubt this will be the definitive version. Wasn't the Castlevania collection a mess? Konami has completely lost my trust, but I will still purchase these remasters in my support for Suikoden and hoping something else will come out of this if it succeeds sales wise.

Anyone know if there's a new Castlevania game in the works? The main reason they released that collection was because of Bloodstained's recent success. We all need to be wary of this. This can all be a simple cash grab for the Suikoden remasters. Nothing else
I can understand this feeling and the suspicion that this is just a money-grab based on the reception of Eiyuden. Likely Konami's decision-makers have that mindset. However, I have had multiple insiders tell me Sakiyama has been lobbying inside Konami for years (more than a decade) to focus on Suikoden, so I wouldn't doubt the intention of Sakiyama as well as his deep love of the series (meanwhile, does Sakiyama have the ability to really deliver is a separate discussion).

Overall the entire purpose of the struggles of the SRM and repeated direct contact with the various persons in the past decade and beyond was to revive the Suikoden mains series, so I think we can celebrate this event. The current version that we see and has also been leaked is likely only a very preliminary version just to make sure some level of playable demo can be shown at the TGS - Sakiyama has also said there's still a lot of brush-up that is needed so I think we can be cautiously optimistic.

However, it is also good to make sure concerns / expectations / ideas are tossed at Konami as much as possible now that they have an official twitter account.