Question about EPSXE

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Malkoto

Question about EPSXE

Post by Malkoto »

So I have this weird glitch using EPSXE with Suikoden 1, for some reason the shadows/reflections are not connected to the characters, and sometimes characters and objects in the screen like slide out of the spot they're supposed to be in when you're moving around. does anyone know how to fix this? these are my video settings:

PeteOpenGL2Tweaks 2.3
Stretching mode set to full window size (standard)
Render Mode: use framebuffer object (fastest mode if supported)
Texture filtering: standard + smoothed sprites
Hi res textures: none (this is set to none because when it is NOT, i can't see the new game/continue game screen at all)
gfx card vram autodetect
use pixel shader is checked
use fps limit checked
fps limit set to 65
off screen drawing set to extended
framebuffer effects set to none
framebuffer upload set to full
screen filtering checked (doesn't matter as i am not playing in full screen)
MDEC filter checked
disable screensaver checked

soft plugin
stretching mode set to stretch
blit mode opengl v2
threading mode 1-thread (accurate)
use fps limit checked
set custom fps 65
full screen filters again don't matter, as i'm not playing in full screen
overscan checked.
Fu Su Lu

Re: Question about EPSXE

Post by Fu Su Lu »

Cant help you but I can suggest a couple of things: download a diferent Suikoden iso, if the problem is still there, try a different bios (check the iso-bios compatibility also). If you still have the same problem try reseting epsxe to default settings.
I have been using epsxe to play suikoden for a few years (whenever nostalgia and free time shake hands) and havent had any problems beyond the 99 level for Hoi and a few others.
Hope it helps :)
AthenaCat

Post by AthenaCat »

You may want to try Mednafen, which is much more accurate than EPSXE. It's a command-line program, but there are plenty of Windows GUIs, as well as one (Mednaffe) that works on both Windows and Linux. It also requires a specific BIOS, and a bin/cue dump rather than an ISO.
NeoRashi

Post by NeoRashi »

Sorry for bumping an old thread but for whoever needs it, a possible fix is disabling any GTE (Widescreen) hack in your emulator settings.

I haven't tested this on EPSXE but I was getting this same issue on PCSX-R with the same graphics plugin. For those who are using PCSX-R, it'll be in Configuration --> CPU... --> Widescreen (GTE Hack) (make sure to uncheck it). I am not aware if this option exists on other emulators by the way but this got it working for me.

NPC shadows and floor sprites shouldn't magically 'slide' on their own anymore.