Image Extraction

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Image Extraction

Post by wataru14 »

I have been looking for a program that can open the data files in an .iso that I made from my Suikoden 1 disc so I can extract the image files. I'm looking to extract the maps in particular, but maybe the portraits and/or sprites if I can. Anyone have any suggestions? Hopefully one that's easy to use?
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Image Extraction

Post by Pyriel »

Portraits and sprites are compressed in the files, and the way they're stored frequently doesn't have any discernible structure in the way a zipped archive does. At least none that I've ever been able to work out. Knowing where all the image data resides isn't something that can be discovered automatically with ease, because some of their locations seem to be given by the game's programming. Certain things, like portraits, are stored in a way that's sort of consistent, but it varies.

The map data is all tiles. There's not a single image, and producing one would require ripping the tile sheets, and then emulating the way they're assembled by the game. It's not impossible, but I'm not aware of a tool that would do it.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Re: Image Extraction

Post by wataru14 »

That's disappointing. Thanks though!