Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
ENDmyinitials

Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Suikoden is my favorite RPG series of all time! I've been a fan since the first Suikoden, but got into it when I passed Suikoden 2. But Suikoden IV was a bit of a disappointment after the original Suikoden creator left Konami during Suikoden III. I am currenting working on a Final Fantasy 7 Demake project, and will be releasing a demo soon. However I was thinking about starting a big project. When it comes to the Suikoden Series vs the Final Fantasy Series, in my opinion, Suikoden is the best. I want to help Suikoden IV by giving it what I believe lacked from the series.

-Add 6 party battle
-Add parts from suikoden tactics
-Give characters more story depth
-Make game into 2D (Suikoden 2 style or a new one?)

Sprites I created a few minutes ago:
upload image online free
toji

Re: Suikoden IV Reboot-Demake

Post by toji »

What can I say ? That would be awesome.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

What will you use? RPG Maker?

The two sprites already look awesome!
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

This is the BEST IDEA EVER! Let's make Suikoden IV better than Konami did it!

Did you check the Java-based Suikoden engine being developped by a member here? That can be helpful to you.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Personally I'd rather see a more finished version of the original Suikoden 4, but S4 with S2 graphics is a nice idea for a fan project.

For ship travel, I think the "3d map scrolling" effects of Final fantasy 6 (when you're using the air ship) would work well, otherwise it would look boring just to see a boat sprite moving endlessly across the ocean. Lower encounter rate would also be nice.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Thanks everyone. I been around suikosource for a while, but in the shadows. It would be nice to work as a team, like a website project.

I never seen the Java version of suikoden, but I ensure you, RPG MAKER VX ACE has all the tools to make a Suikoden. It also has mode 7 which was used by FF6 when on the airship. I have experience making games, and spriting, so don't worry I'm not a total noob, lol. I believe Suikoden 4 would be easy to create because the game is mostly ocean. I also know how to make a Suikoden type duel system. My brother has done it for me before. The only problem I'll have is S,M,L... I haven't seen a script for that.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Mode 7 that's what I meant... god it's been years since I last heard that term being used, no wonder I couldn't remember it!
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

I want to know why it's called mode 7... anyways, I'm not sure if I should use the style sprices or something new.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Sorry for the double post, but this is suikoden in rpg makerRPG Maker VX Ace: Suikoden II Battle System (Rang…: http://youtu.be/L6tMIMr-Uf8
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I am pretty sure plenty of people here would love to help you, and that everyone will support you in it. However, remember that so many people tried before to do their own Suikoden game and failed! We are all behind you but make sure to be very rational in the way you make it, and to select carefully the people you want on board: there is no offense in refusing someone to join the project, it's just a matter of choosing who fits your needs and who doesn't.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Just don't go around telling everyone how this will be the best thing ever created, possibly even better than the actual series, and you'll be fine, but do expect critique.

On the sprites they look nice but I get the sense that Razro's head is too large for his body.

Also, this should probably have gone in the Fan Works forum.
ENDmyinitials wrote:I want to know why it's called mode 7...
Because the SNES had 8 modes to display the background layers basically, but they started numbering at 0 so 7 is the last one. Mode 7 was single layered but could be scaled and rotated which created the pseudo-3D effect.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

Trust me I would never say its the best thing ever, but would be nice to make it happen. Like I said before, this isn't the first game I have attempted to make. Haha Lazlo's head :p I will fix it!

But what kind of skills do you guys have? Like strength and weaknesses? I am not starting the project at the moment, due to the fact that I am busy with my final fantasy 7 demo. Which is being hosted on this site : http://rpgmaker.net/games/7117/
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I love this idea. Some mechanics in Tactics would've been great in S4 (skill system, though with a skill cap like S3, as well as sword of magic) so it would be very nice to see.

I'm not sure if I will be able to contribute (or how), but if you need/want it I could lend a hand.
ENDmyinitials

Post by ENDmyinitials »

What are you good at highwind? I like the ideas. I forgot s4 didn't have the rune swords or suikoden 4, and 5 skill system.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I sent you a PM. :D