Suikoden VI?

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
sticky-runes

Re: Suikoden VI?

Post by sticky-runes »

Yeah, suikoden 4 had characters going from :| to :shock: in an instant (particularly with Snowe's scenes)
Suikoden 5 put a lot more work in the transitions between facial expressions, so you got to feel what the characters were feeling during cut scenes.
Costume detail was done better in 4 because it had nice leather and metal textures, and the characters had more weight about them. In 5 they looked a bit like highly detailed paper origami puppets.
Had we got a Suikoden 6, I would like it's graphics to be somewhere between 4 and 5, and preferably not with 5's awkward top down sh!t.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

If they make a Suikoden VI, I hope beyond all hope that they ditch the silent protagonist. It jars me right out of the immersion. And if you are going to have voice acting, have voice acting for every character. Don't just do it in cutscenes.
bluemask

Post by bluemask »

I agree with sticky about the characters in 5. They looked too detailed in the art but the in-game, they're like "almost there" (However, I like the color scheme of 5 over 4...). 4's models are more faithful to the art though I'm not really a fan of the character designs.... I think it's not the aesthetics which make a game great but how fresh it feels.
wataru14 wrote:If they make a Suikoden VI, I hope beyond all hope that they ditch the silent protagonist. It jars me right out of the immersion. And if you are going to have voice acting, have voice acting for every character. Don't just do it in cutscenes.
I like this idea. Though I don't want the protagonist to be very animated, but I guess it would help them have some resolve for themselves lol. Not just with that "I agree" with you responses...
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I think III looks pretty good from a certain point of view. They aimed for a 3D anime style and for that time, they did a pretty good job imo.

IV somehow lacks colour in the entire game and the missing facial expressions were.. confusing. V did a good job, I really like the cut scenes a lot, but the normal gameplay graphics were not so well done (to see details, you had to zoom in, but then you didn't see anything of the surrounding area).
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

The gloomy grey look of Suikoden 4 was just right. I know a lot of people complained about it not looking enough like a typical JRPG, but Suikoden is a war story, and war is a gloomy subject. and we have a rune that goes from victim to victim sucking out their life force until they disintegrate into a pile of ash. I wouldn't expect it to look bright and cheery. Plus, 4's lighting looked a bit more natural than in 5 where everything looked washed out.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Actually S3 had FAR better graphics and animations than 4 & 5...just remember the rune animations in 3. S4 & S5 had very simple and boring ones.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I stopped hoping for a Suikoden 6, I would prefer is some new game that takes me as high as Suikoden was made.

It's like hoping for a new Monkey Island all these times after Ron Gilbert got ripped off his baby. I think Monkey Island and Suikoden share a lot in common: two awesome games made by a guy who wanted to tell a story through a videogame who were kicked out of their own project which was spoiled by a greedy company for far too many spinoffs.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

wataru14 wrote:If they make a Suikoden VI, I hope beyond all hope that they ditch the silent protagonist. It jars me right out of the immersion. And if you are going to have voice acting, have voice acting for every character. Don't just do it in cutscenes.
Yeah, I don't know how some fans can say that any of the silent heroes are among their favorite characters in the series. Part of what makes characters appealing is their dialogue - the way they interact with the people around them and the choice of words they use, and these guys don't even have dialogue.

Now Suikoden Tactics may have had a crap story, but because Kyrill actually spoke, I could admire him. He makes decisions about what the group will do next, and does it by saying more than one sentence. He speaks for himself without leaving one of his friends to do all the talking for him, and tells the people he's closest to how he feels about them. He actually came across as a leader, instead of some lost little boy letting himself be pushed and pulled around by the other characters.

This is also what made characters like Gremio, Lyon and Nanami kind of annoying. Yes, they have a nice touching loyalty towards the hero, but that means they end up doing all the talking, and I just want them to occasionally shut up and let the hero give his own input.
MintAdnade

Post by MintAdnade »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:I stopped hoping for a Suikoden 6, I would prefer is some new game that takes me as high as Suikoden was made.

It's like hoping for a new Monkey Island all these times after Ron Gilbert got ripped off his baby. I think Monkey Island and Suikoden share a lot in common: two awesome games made by a guy who wanted to tell a story through a videogame who were kicked out of their own project which was spoiled by a greedy company for far too many spinoffs.
Yet Tales of Monkey Island was made :wink:
(Though, I gotta admit it was faaar behind the first three MI's in quality IMO)

I'll never give up hoping for a new suikoden^_^
suiken

Post by suiken »

Suikoden II is getting alot of rave reviews on the PSN since it's release. Maybe a little more push and Konami might decide that Suikoden is a legit consideration for a main sequel. I don't mind a PSN release of III, IV and V either.

About graphics, I don't mind them being bad, but not super bad. Maybe a Tales of Xillia or Persona 4 level of graphics would do fine.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

shoot, just release Suikoden VI on smartphones so we don't have to worry about the graphics. Suikoden II's graphics aged well so they could go with that. Just give me a compelling story, characters with a lot of depth, and comprehensive but user-friendly mechanics and gameplay.

Actually, fark it. Just give me Suikoden VI, period. They couldn't possibly fark it up the way they had IV.
BrucePrintscreen

highwind44029 wrote:shoot, just release Suikoden VI on smartphones so we don't have to worry about the graphics. Suikoden II's graphics aged well so they could go with that. Just give me a compelling story, characters with a lot of depth, and comprehensive but user-friendly mechanics and gameplay.

I shall vote for you as President of the World.

SII's graphics aged better than any polygon-soup that was made afterwards.

Story, story, story, STORY!!! THAT'S ALL WE CARE FOR, KONAMI!!!
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

BrucePrintscreen wrote:

I shall vote for you as President of the World.

SII's graphics aged better than any polygon-soup that was made afterwards.

Story, story, story, STORY!!! THAT'S ALL WE CARE FOR, KONAMI!!!

Oh come on don't tell me S3 gaphics sucked????

Those animations when you casted a rune spell were super awesome!!!
BrucePrintscreen

From what I saw they did not suck for a 3D thingy of that time... But I don't like 3D in general.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

It was pretty good at the time, but Suikoden II's graphics definitely aged a lot better.