Suikoden 1 Mural

A forum for all general Suikoden related topics.
Daniel36

Suikoden 1 Mural

Post by Daniel36 »

Hey guys,

I could've sworn I was already a member of this lovely community, but I guess I just always lurked all these years. So anyways, it was about high time I made an account because Suikoden is my favourite ever series, and I do have a question for you guys.

I chose the cover arts for the original Suikoden PAL and NTSC releases as my subjects for a visual analysis I have to do for my studies. I am a teacher by trade and have gone back to college to get a second degree in it... and visual analysis is one of the courses. All of that is pretty uninteresting, but I have a question for you guys, one that I could not find an answer to.

The Suikoden 1 mural, the one with the hero in the middle and all the characters around him, features what appears to be a stone etching of a rose in the top. I never noticed it before. It took me a bit to find it used in the game, since I couldn't remember, but I found out it is used as the Liberation Army banner in the army battles section. I can't remember if this banner design is mentioned anywhere. Is there a specific story behind the banner?

Thanks for your help!

Kind wishes,
Daniel36
Rooks

Re: Suikoden 1 Mural

Post by Rooks »

Nice to meet you. You can call me Rooks, I am a teacher as well, though, with only one degree in teaching lol. Actually, if I had to list my profession, it would currently be Physical Therapy Attendee, because of a seriously busted leg.

As far as your question: We can ask Junko, who should know all there is about the art in the first game. Assuming she's not too busy with work and in good health. I mean, she's had a lot of work and health problems over the years, so, yeah. We do need a translator to talk to Junko, though. And I can't do that. I should really learn Japanese at this point.

My guess though is that it is based on European Heraldry and also, a reference to Shi Hui Zhang or Water Margin. Unfortunately, I've yet to read a quality translation of the work, as they are far harder to find here in America than you'd think, most are condensed and censored. But perhaps a rose or a lily plays a role in a scene in the book?
Daniel36

Re: Suikoden 1 Mural

Post by Daniel36 »

Hey Rooks, thanks for the reply. Still haven't gotten my grade yet, still anxiously awaiting.
Anyone else here who can't wait for the remaster? :P