[Dead] Suikoden Game for RMXP

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Jack of All Trades

[Dead] Suikoden Game for RMXP

Post by Jack of All Trades »

Suikogaishi

Like every official Suikoden game before it, this is going to be a very big game. I'll go into the specifics of this project a little bit later, but because of the sheer size of the game, we are looking for anybody with RMXP experience to help us create this game. It does not matter what you are good at as long as you can provide a sample of your work, or if you can cook something up real fast, we can find something for you to do.

We are looking for a Lead Mapper. Someone with experience with ripping and arranging tiles and someone who can coordinate and delegate mapping duties between other mappers.

We are also looking for another Scripter. We'd like to recreate the Skill System from Suikoden 3. We'd like to get a second Scripter to take some of the burden off of our main scipter. It doesn't matter if you are familiar with Suikoden 3's Skill System I can help you sort things out.

Eventually, we are going to need to find an anime style animator.

If you have any other skills that could be useful. We'd love to hear from you.

Story

Our game takes place between 446 - 448 SY. It takes place during the War of Succession where in the Scarlet Moon Empire. The crown prince Barbarossa's father Michelan has died and his Uncle Geil bribes several nobles to rename him the successor instead, throwing the entire region into a bloody civil war. This brutal civil war leaves the Empire vulnerable to invasion from surrounding countries and some very tough decisions from our protagonists.

Protagonists

Barbarossa Rugner
The crown prince of the Scarlet Moon Empire. Unlike most protagonists, Barbarossa's story is darker. We watch Barbarossa develop from an Ideal driven man of untold integrity and strength degenerate into a man of questionable moral values, willing to sacrifice the Empire he fought so hard for a vague glimpse at the life he lost during the very war that brought him into power.

Teo McDohl
Before Teo became the man of unwavering loyalty who would live or die by the word of his master he was very different. Teo became one of the Great Generals because of his combat prowess and ability to command during war. However, at the beginning of the story Teo is unable to trust anyone both above him or below he questions his superiors, he blithely disobeys orders, and puts himself at risk doing tasks that he should be trusting to underlings.

Odessa Silverburg
A lot of people ask me how she fits into this storyline. To be honest I didn't really know at first. I just tried something and it worked. Like many main characters of the Suikoden Universe her placement in the story is very circumstantial. Odessa is the standard Suikoden hero's journey character, except she isn’t a silent protagonist. She has actually been a pleasure to write. She makes for a strong, clever, female leader character and keeps me from having to force Teo and Barbarossa into roles that they as characters don't really fit into. Odessa’s journey as a character is that of the reluctant hero who becomes more than she ever thought she could be.

Gremio
Gremio, is a main character who really shines in this game. Gremio is tough to explain in this story. His is a story of unconventional fatherhood that contrasts with Teo McDohl.

Georg Prime
Georg is one of those flawless characters. I'm trying to show a side of naivety of a younger Georg Prime. His story is that of a bad ass lone-wolf samurai story filled with romance and love. Except it also combines him with the role of wise mentor of a typical hero's journey (think Gandalf).

Battles
Our game is going to have 3 battles engines.

Standard Battles: My scripter is currently hard at work recreating the battle system from Suikoden 2, but updating it with elements from Suikden 5 like party member swapping and formations. Also we are some interactive options for multiple swings when attacking that are going to give the Suikoden's Battle system a much needed Update. I should also mention that we are going to keep a close eye on combat balance and game difficulty in our game. More importantly, Luke is creating the system in an isometric environment, which means it will use 3D backgrounds with 2D sprites. He's also figured out how to replicate the zooming and rotating camera. Its going to be so pretty.

Duels: We are going to be implementing a new Duel System. Its going to be a rock-paper-scissors with clues game. It is going to be timed the way the battles in Suikodend 5 are and we may do an advantage meter like in Suikoden 3. Its going to take advantage of the same isometric environment that the standard battle system uses but we are going to open up the angles more for the Character Duals. These battlers will have front and back facing sprites. Its going to be simpler but prettier.

Tactical Combat: We are using GTBS to do war. Its going to be similar to the Suikoden 2 battle system. Except we plan to update it and add several new functions to it. Whats even better though is the guy who invented it GubiD, is on hand to make sure that we can take full use of it and make minor customizations as needed.

Headquarters

Our game will take full advantage of the growing castle that we've seen in previous games. In fact their will be not one but two headquarters. The first will be Pannu Yakuta. Its a smaller headquarters but it will grow once from its initial size. The second headquarters will be the entire town and castle at Gregminster. Since Barbarossa had to rebuild it after the Succession War, it makes perfect sense for it to expand and grow.

Finally, check out the Stars of Destiny List here: http://www.duefiumi.com/forum/viewtopic ... 228#p37228. I need people to find as many plot holes and continuity glitches as possible, its an invitation to point out every flaw in the list of characters. Please note, that I will probably try to find a plausible way to make it work. I'll also encourage you to help me find these work-arounds too.
Last edited by Jack of All Trades on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: RPG Maker XP Designers Wanted for Suikoden Project

Post by KFCrispy »

hey dude, i was thinking about making small side-stories based on Teo, Odessa, and others surrounding the story before and during Suikoden I.. but i didn't get anywhere because my biggest concern was that I really wanted to use the Suikoden-style battle system, and there aren't any readily available (and I certainly can't make it myself). Do you happen to have something like that I can work with?? :)
Jack of All Trades

Suikoden Project for RMXP off to a great start

Thats a great question. As of right now I don't. However, I just recruited a scripter who claims to be able to pull it off. As I am not greedy. I'd be more than happy to share once its done. He says it shoulden't take him very long at all, in fact he quoted me a length of time that still I continue to disbelieve. I won't say when but I will say soon.

I have other irons in the fire as well. I've been speaking with Atori of RMXP.org and he says he's making and even more customizable isometric version of the popular Tankentai Battle system. For those who don't know I believe Isometric means that it's the diagonal battle view that suikoden is known for.

Its coming crispy, and you'll be the first to know when it's done.

As a side note. Have you ever used RMXP before? We can always use more members. Especially those that can help prevent me from creating any continuity glitches.
Jack of All Trades

Re: Suikoden Game for RMXP off to a great start

Made an update to the original thread today. Since we have multiple people in every area.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I'm definitely looking forward to this, in particular the amount of details given to the team's attempt at coming up with a full-fledged game within the scattered but rather detailed canon information that we have surrounding the Succession War and the following period up to the beginning of the Gate Rune War.

Now that I've experienced the wonders that fans can pull of with RMXP as demonstrated in Exit Fate, I'm definitely itching for something with heavier reference to the in-series continuity.

Keep us updated k.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

I've just discovered RPG Maker XP last month and it was super cool! I thought it would be crappy since the PS2 RPGM sucked a lot!

Then I thought I'd make an mini-RPG on my own. But now I knew that making one is a load of work especially that I now know that there must be creative teams or such.

I really look forward to this project. I hope I can learn something from it that I can use in case I think about continuing my delayed RPG particularly because I, too, want to mix Suikoden things with it.

Good luck, guys! :D
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Jack of All Trades

Yeah, I guess I need to do a big update. I quit updating on this site because nobody was responding. I've been posting pictures and other things on Duefiumi. I'll do an update on this site this weekend.

I should mention that Dragonmasterx is translataing Oath's Hatchet, which to my knowledge is the sole source of information regarding the War of Succession. I plan to share the translated story with the publlic eventually. More importantly it ensures that the game will fall completely in continuity. I had to scrap some of the plot that I'd written and I'm unable to write any more until he finishes, so I'm trying to work on other areas of the game instead.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

sorry for not responding!!
i was visiting RPG Maker sites for a short time but like I said back in my first reply, I basically gave up. I look forward to your updates though! (*heads over to duefiumi....*)
Jack of All Trades

So I updated the original post. It has got a lot more information in it now. Please not that I'm only going to do one Stars of Destiny List and I'm keeping it on Duefiumi. You don't have to register their to apply to it. You can simply reply to it in this thread if you want.

Check out some of our Concept Art.

Image Image Image Image Image

You are looking at Arthur, Georg Prime, Juppo, Kilawher Shulen, and Mathiu Silverburg
Bring on the comments kids.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Kilawher and Georg's designs are pretty consistent that one manual artwork, so well done. Guess the colouring was done manually?

Arthur's lineart is well done as well, but is he an existing character in Succession War literature?

Young Juppo is surprisingly good. Hope he'd have more story roles to fully utilise his gadgetry assortment.

Are you planning to make Mathiu the next Snowe with that wardrobe selection?
Jack of All Trades

patapi wrote:Kilawher and Georg's designs are pretty consistent that one manual artwork, so well done. Guess the colouring was done manually?
I think the coloring was digitally, all I know is Yensoo did it very fast.
patapi wrote:Arthur's lineart is well done as well, but is he an existing character in Succession War literature?
Arthur is a new character. Do you recognize his armor? It should look familiar...
patapi wrote:Young Juppo is surprisingly good. Hope he'd have more story roles to fully utilise his gadgetry assortment.
Juppo has been on the receiving end of a lot of hate. I wanted to correct that and show that in his day he was a much cooler gadgeteer. I'm going to throw in some sort of easter egg referencing his love of circus's and gaudy costumes though.
patapi wrote:Are you planning to make Mathiu the next Snowe with that wardrobe selection?
Hahaha. Its a color test.

The artist Yensoo has done all of these. He's really talented. The credit has to go to him.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Jack of All Trades wrote:
patapi wrote:Arthur's lineart is well done as well, but is he an existing character in Succession War literature?
Arthur is a new character. Do you recognize his armor? It should look familiar...
Tell me it's not an addition to a certain duo of black-clad knights that I despise so...?
The artist Yensoo has done all of these. He's really talented. The credit has to go to him.
Indeed. I'll definitely look forward to more of his rendition of the existing characters.
Jack of All Trades

patapi wrote:
Jack of All Trades wrote:
Tell me it's not an addition to a certain duo of black-clad knights that I despise so...?
I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this but... but I'm tired of Yuber and Pesmerga too. Here is the thing though, I had to ask myself, why do I hate these guys? The entire reason I dislike the characters is because of the worship they receive on the internet. I don't actually have any problem with the characters themselve's. Unfortunately they are a little one dimensional. I thought about playing with the mystery of their nature a bit but I want this game to be in continuity, so I cannot just start making stuff up. So I was planning to walk away from them entirely.

That was until I came up with Arthur and Cain. Arthur and Cain are the pretty boy stars. I wanted to change up the elements attached to those stars to something else, so I came up with a darkness/light juxtaposition, not that it hasn't been done before. The black knight thing came later. Arthur became a black knight to get closer to Yuber to get closer to Neclord. Someone very close to Arthur died some time ago and Arthur hasn't coped very well and he's looking for alternative solutions to solve his problems. He's payed some steep prices to get where he is. Note that Arthur is older than he appears, due to a miscommunication between myself and Yensoo.

I promise you he's not some two dimensional kill monkey. He's a good character. I thought that the online Suikoden Community would be at least mixed about the presence of another black knight, but I've only gotten negative response. I may have to rethink this thing.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Then, that begs the question, how does one "become" a black knight?
kte03

Post by kte03 »

Wow... those character portraits are FANTASTIC! If you don't mind me asking, how will the graphics of the game look? Will you be using SII's sprites?