Suikogaiden Translation Project

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Jack of All Trades

Re: Suikogaiden Translation Project

Post by Jack of All Trades »

That's really flippin' cool. I have another question. Apparently there are some extra scenes if you load either suikoden 1 or 2 data into Suikogaiden. How are we English language only folks supposed to get this. Do you think your scripters can modify the games to have those sequences automatically unlocked or hook us up with a japanese save file for Dex Drive owners like myself?
rin_uzuki

Post by rin_uzuki »

I believe we're going to figure out some way for those scenes to be available. That's really more in the technical line of things, so I can't say for sure what's gonna happen, but we were discussing it at some point. :3
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

Worst case scenario: you have to include a japanese save file to upload into it (not sure if the heroes' names will be messed up or not though.) It's not a big deal.

BTW, how far along are you guys?
rin_uzuki

Post by rin_uzuki »

Well, there are four chapters in Suikogaiden 1. I'm translating the first chapter, and I'm about 7/15 of the way through it (chapter 1 is divided up into 15 different files). It still needs to be looked over and spruced up though. My good friend Pelto is working on chapter 2, and he'll probably breeze through it pretty quick. Sage is in charge of chapter 3, though as far as I know he's been too busy to start, I have confidence in him! XD And we still don't have a set translator for the last chapter, chapter 4.

Holmes is figuring out all the technical details, and we're putting together the English versions of the chapter titles and the main screen menu. We've still got a lot of work to do, but we're rolling on steadily! <3 You can always check up on how things are going on the Suikogaiden Translation Project website, or in the forums.

Everyone's welcome to offer feedback and suggestions regarding the script! :D
dholmes

Post by dholmes »

A little bit to respond to here...

I see no reason it shouldn't work on a modded PSX as well as an emulator, unless I screw something up. I do think the emulator would be by far the easier option, though. I'll test it out on mine but I doubt I'll put much extra effort into fixing it if it doesn't work on hardware.

It is my intention to make it work with US/EU S1/S2 saves, instead of JP saves, assuming I have time (it wouldn't be the hardest part of this project, but it wouldn't be the easiest either.). It would then import the names. Of course the "McDohl Name Bug" in the US Suikoden 2 could cause some people headaches, so I've been pondering just including a S2 save along with a program to edit the names. I'm not totally sure what the most practical method will be.

As for how much work is done on the hacking, it depends, because there's a minimal amount of work necessary to patch the game and play it in English, then there are a bunch more ambitious goals, like a variable-width font and that English save-importing bit. I'd say the hacking is 15% done for the most rudimentary goal, or maybe 5% with the most ambitious goal. What'll actually get finished is probably somewhere in between.
Helsaga

Post by Helsaga »

Suikogaiden can't load a Suikoden II US save but you can make a US save work. I tried converting my Suikoden II US save to Japan using PSX mem tool.

First, open PSX memtool,
Open the memory card image file that has the Suikoden II save
Right click the Suikoden II save -> properties.
Change the country from America to Japan.
Then save the changes.

Now if you load it with Suikogaiden Vol. 1 will recognize the save.
However, I haven't played through it yet so I don't know what you will get out of it or if the heroes' names are messed up.

Btw, I'm looking forward to the results of the translation project. Hope you'll be able to do and finish it.
dholmes

Post by dholmes »

I haven't tried that myself, but I can pretty much guarantee that the names simply won't show up if you're running the Japanese game. It'll skip right over them. Other than that I'd imagine the special scenes and other text would work fine.
Helsaga

Post by Helsaga »

Oh and I forgot, aside from changing the region to Japan you also have to change the product code of the save when converting. Here's the product code for the Japanese Suikoden II: SLPM-86168

I'm planning to start Suikogaiden Vol. I with my Suikoden II save.
Actually I've beaten the game once only missing some CGs.

A little off-topic but...
Does anyone know exactly what gets transferred from Suikoden II to Suikogaiden. aside from the names?
Also what other stuff do you get?
Matthew McDohl

Post by Matthew McDohl »

MAD 01-08-2004
Hachifusa

Post by Hachifusa »

Hows the translation going? any progress? :D
rin_uzuki

Post by rin_uzuki »

The translation is going great! We've completed the rough translation of chapter 1 and made significant progress with chapters 3 and 4. Chapter 2 needs some more work, I think, but it's getting there. All in all, we're maybe 44% done with the rough translation!

Anyone and everyone (proofreaders and the like or just your average fan passing through) are always welcome (encouraged!) to read the translations we've completed so far and offer their opinions and suggestions on the translations and English and anything they like:

http://ramsus-kun.webs.com/Suikogaiden/Translation.htm

We welcome everyone's input regarding the translation! :D
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Not bad at all, congratulations for making it this far.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
rin_uzuki

Post by rin_uzuki »

Thank you!
It may take us years, but we'll get there!
Hachifusa

Post by Hachifusa »

rin_uzuki wrote:Thank you!
It may take us years, but we'll get there!
Fantastic that your doing this, proud of u all.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

awesome, i salute you!