Suikogaiden Translation Project

Depository for Suikoden related Fan work (art, fan-fiction, games, etc).
All material posted here must comply with the U.S. Fair Use Doctrine
Pyriel
Webmaster

Re: Suikogaiden Translation Project

Post by Pyriel »

You might try posting on their forums. Although, going by the stats, Rin_uzuki hasn't surfaced there for almost a month, unless the visits were made without logging in.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

As for the people here suggesting helping even without knowing much Japanese, I'm doing a translation check and strongly recommend against that. Your eagerness to help is appreciated, but unless your Japanese is at least somewhat competent, I and other translation checkers would probably have a much easier time translating from scratch.

This is novel-like writing which requires considerably greater Japanese comprehension compared to the average RPG.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Getting Rin to do any work is like pulling teeth. I finished a translation check of all chapters months ago and she still has not gone over all my changes yet, and there were a lot. If you're anything like me and you want the project to actually move ahead you will be driven crazy by the lack of progress. I have more or less given up on the project, and I doubt I'll have the energy to apply myself to Suikogaiden Vol.2 if things are going to be the same because I am seriously frustrated.

However, that said, if you still want to help with translation checking I can get you the latest version of the script (trust me, you don't want to start from the wiki) since I sit on the master copy so you would have to go via me anyway if you want to join.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Many of my checks aren't even checks. I am 100% confident that there are errors in there(especially in the Japanese prose with really long sentences using a complex grammatical structure), so my checks are more like corrections.

But still, I definitely see all the effort put into it.

I think I'm qualified enough just to take over the the translation, not just translation checking. But I'm not sure I want to make such a big commitment yet...Will finish off file S1_3_3 for now and wait for RinUzuki's response within the week.

Raww: Have you considered just taking over translation, and maybe even project manager duties, if RinUzuki is too busy to handle this?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Well, technically the chapters are closed for further edits so she might tell you that, but I'm open to letting you go through them anyway cause I think we are in need of a third pass on it but since there was no one else available at the time we pushed ahead for a first patch but I'm confident that you are way more qualified than me for the checks. It's just that it had been tampered with by so many people that had no business editing it in the first place that made me request the closing of the chapters.

I don't know if the email you used to talk to her is the same I use, but she can usually at least respond within 24 hours when I need to get a hold of her.

Sure, I've entertained the thought, but at this point I think she's too much time already to be open to the idea and it would feel a bit like a coup d'etat when so much of the work has been done already. I'd still need someone to bounce ideas off of, which she is great for, or it'd just become way too much of my translation, I just wish she'd bounce more often. It's also a big boon that people do actually like her, which is a good quality in a project leader that I would be lacking probably.
rin_uzuki

Post by rin_uzuki »

Hey! Sorry for the lack of replies. I'm completely swamped with real life matters, and unfortunately don't have much time--if any--to devote to translation projects, though I do hope to have more at some point in the future. u__u

I will try to locate your email in the mess that is my inbox!
If you don't hear back from me tonight, feel free to forward it to me again. ;)
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

For anyone interested, the Suikogaiden Translation Project is currently looking for beta testers of the English game.

http://suikogaidentranslation.freeforum ... -t299.html
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ok, I'll probably apply, but as I'll have exams in a month - how much work goes in a bug report? And how long are these routes you set up for players, i.e. how much time would go into betatesting for every tester? (approx. of course)
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

We've given the current beta-testers a week to finish the game and file their report. If you want to join in now the dead-line is the 12th, though you can probably get an extra day if you need if you join late. I don't know when the next round will be really.

How much work goes in depends on how thourough you are and how fast you read. On average I'd say a chapter will probably take you an hour or so as you'll have to take notes on the things you find that are wrong. Once you're done with your play-through you have to compile your notes and locate the approximate location in the script through the wiki so we now where the error is, and that's the tedious bit. First order would probably be to check if anyone else has reported it, if they have you can spare yourself the trouble of looking for that line. I'd say it might take you an additional hour or two so 6-7 hours spaced out over a week.

We only ask that the testers complete the game at least once, if possible, if you run into a game crashing glitch on your way you can finish your report with that. We may give you some specific instructions and ask you to follow the walkthrough here on Suikosource to achieve certain things, like going for maximum Companion Points or not to load Suikoden II data etc.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ok, one week is a bit little to me,so I'll probably wait for a next round (if one may happen). I hope this round hoes well for you and the project. ;)
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The English patch for Suikogaiden Vol.1 is out now.

http://ramsus-kun.webs.com/Suikogaiden/Home.htm
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Awesome! Cannot wait to finally play the game! Really, congratulations!

Are there any plans yet for a Vol. 2 translation? :P
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Vol.2 is stuck cause there's no translator for Episode 2 or translation checker for Episode 4, without that it can't be completed.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I was more or less kidding, I cannot expect to get the second game any time soon, of course I sure hope it'll be translated eventually.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Ok, I'm just starting the game. Two things:

1. In the smal .txt faq you translate Grosser Fluss as Greater Flow, but that's inaccurate. It's either Great Flow or Great River, but not "greater".

2. How do you exactly load Suikoden II data?

EDIT: Ok, found it out. But do you need a Suikoden II save that's after the final boss? I can't find any save with that... argh.

Also, the text if you want to load from Memory Card Slot 2 is wrong. It says something like
"Reading slot 2
in slot 1"